Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Rockwood Convert

Options
So I have had my Egg and KJ for less than a year now so I am definitely still learning.  Up until this week the only lump charcoal I have used is BGE and Basques Nature's Own (which I did not like at all).  After reading so much about Rockwood on this forum, I decided to buy a couple bags from FireCraft.  Even with shipping, the per bag cost was less than what BGE costs at the local dealer.

All I can say is what a difference.  Even with my limited experience, I could tell that it started faster and burned "cleaner" with a more neutral smoke.  After 5 minutes I actually thought the lump had gone out for some reason because there wasn't really any thick white smoke still billowing out!  I know it all comes down to personal preference, but for the basics like steaks/burgers/chicken I like that this is more neutral.  Until I expand into truly smoking something, I think I've found a winner.

Also, we had relatives from CA visiting yesterday so I cooked just your basic boneless chicken breasts on both grills.  No one could believe how tender and juicy the chicken was for being boneless.  They all wanted to know where I bought the chicken or what the marinade was...I told them it wasn't where the chicken was from, but HOW it was cooked!  The gasser just sat there sad and lonely while everyone admired the two "eggs"!!

KJ Classic and BGE MiniMax
Southeastern, MA

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,191
    Options
    Welcome to Club Rockwood
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Love this stuff....Free shipping with 5 bags from Firecraft!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    BGE lump when i overpaid dissapointed horribly. Some local bags aren't too good either(huge rocks instead of coals). Royal oak gets the job done and is easily accessible but i want to try Rockwood
    Austin, Tx
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm still working on my first bag of Rockwood, and I have to say I really do see a difference in how much white smoke I get.  I actually liked BGE lump, still haven't gotten around to the type of cook I have wondered might not be quite so good on a "neutral" lump (one where I liked the natural smokiness of the BGE lump), but I have to say so far I think I'm probably going to stick with Rockwood.  I think I still have a bag or two of BGE left, and it'll be interesting to go back from Rockwood to BGE -- may clinch the deal for me.  :)
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The closest RW dealer is about an hour from me. I'm anxiously waiting to finish off my KJ lump and make the trip to buy Rockwood. I can't believe there isn't a Rockwood dealer in Bloomington, IN @stlcharcoal
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    The closest RW dealer is about an hour from me. I'm anxiously waiting to finish off my KJ lump and make the trip to buy Rockwood. I can't believe there isn't a Rockwood dealer in Bloomington, IN @stlcharcoal

Never had one inquire....have them call, we'll hook them up.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Nature's Own is right up there with the best lumps I have found and don't think I have ever heard anyone say it wasn't really good. STRANGE.
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Recent convert to Rockwood.  Just opened  my 4th bag.  Started with 2, then did a 5 bag order.  First 2 bags were excellent, but the 1st bag (of the 5 bag order) was full of very small bits and a lot of dust.  I'm hoping it's just one bad bag.
  • PatsFan70
    PatsFan70 Posts: 29
    Options
    Lit said:
    Nature's Own is right up there with the best lumps I have found and don't think I have ever heard anyone say it wasn't really good. STRANGE.
    I wonder if I just had a bad bag...I only bought one.  The place I bought it at sells a lot of it.  The bag I had was hard to light, produced a tremendous amount of smoke, and took forever to come up to temperature.  It was a very noticeable difference between Nature's Own and BGE or Rockwood.
    Southeastern, MA
  • PatsFan70
    PatsFan70 Posts: 29
    Options
    Lit said:
    I wonder if I just had a bad bag...I only bought one.  The place I bought it at sells a lot of it.  The bag I had was hard to light, produced a tremendous amount of smoke, and took forever to come up to temperature.  It was a very noticeable difference between Nature's Own and BGE or Rockwood.
    Southeastern, MA
  • Captain_Paul
    Captain_Paul Posts: 138
    Options
    I just ordered 5 bags from Firecraft this morning because when I called to talk to them about it the gentleman was so helpful. He talked to me for a long time about charcoal and gave me great tips on starting it, bringing it to temp and reverse searing. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I am so blessed...been using nothing but Rockwood for over 2-1/2 years....never a complaint.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Rock wood is definently the best IMO. Subtle flavor which I like. It's expensive though. I'm only using it on long smokes with expensive meat now. Other than that I'll use royal oak.  

Plus they don't sell it where I'm at in KC, which is weird since their based out of St. Louis I think.  So the extra $8 for shipping makes it $30 a bag. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Rock wood is definently the best IMO. Subtle flavor which I like. It's expensive though. I'm only using it on long smokes with expensive meat now. Other than that I'll use royal oak.  

Plus they don't sell it where I'm at in KC, which is weird since their based out of St. Louis I think.  So the extra $8 for shipping makes it $30 a bag. 
    I have bought it from Firecraft, 5 bags and free shipping. Comes to $20 per bag.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    BGE lump when i overpaid dissapointed horribly. Some local bags aren't too good either(huge rocks instead of coals). Royal oak gets the job done and is easily accessible but i want to try Rockwood

You should know that BGE lump and Royal Oak are the same lump in different colored bags.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rockwood.
    Next question?
    Good talk.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

5 locations in KC......where you at?
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I love Rockwood!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • CountryBoy
    CountryBoy Posts: 102
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I live in Morgantown,IN so I know your pain. I get Rockwood form fat guys superstore ace hardware in greenwood. It's at US 31 and worthsville road. Nice guys and damn good prices on their eggs.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Wouldn't know about Rockwood out here in California.  :|
  • matthethamm
    Options
    $25.95 at my local Ace.  Minimum order is one bag.  Might have to give this a go.  From the Rockwood site for ordering from Ace "order Rockwood 20 lb. bags for pickup using SKU 8400772."
    Matt Hamm
    Eggin' in Alabama
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I live in Morgantown,IN so I know your pain. I get Rockwood form fat guys superstore ace hardware in greenwood. It's at US 31 and worthsville road. Nice guys and damn good prices on their eggs.
    I know exactly where you're at. I grew up in Martinsville right down the road
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    just started using rockwood via firecraft. some time ago, they offered free shipping on five or more bags and thought that was a pretty good deal. i just finished up the last of my royal oak and did my first cooks with rw this past week.  it was simple, just chicken breasts but what an improvement.  it did light faster and the smell more "woodsey" yet mild.  i think i'm going to like this.  first scratch pizza coming up today. finally!
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    Yep I went rock wood after realizing Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Blend was like lighting concrete (tried my loof lighter and paper towel in oil method) . Rockwood is my go to brand now. For people in Northern VA , Dizzy Pig stocks it.
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    I used Rockwood as an excuse to take the kids on a 45 minute drive and pick up lunch on the way, but finally got my first bag of this fabled stuff... Have a few bags of RO and Los Lazos to get through, but nice knowing I have this stuff in the garage when supplies run low!

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options

Blue springs.   I told a worker there once about it, they said they would look into it. We have a few ace's. Would be awesome if they got rock wood! @stlcharcoal

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• stlcharcoal
    Options

Blue springs.   I told a worker there once about it, they said they would look into it. We have a few ace's. Would be awesome if they got rock wood! @stlcharcoal

Just Hwy 291 about 20 minutes north up to Liberty......KC BBQ Source.  Lots of other fun stuff to buy too!