Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you do Pizza on the Egg???

Options
I've been waiting to try pizza on my new stone for several weeks now.  Does anyone have suggestions for a first time pizza guy?  Should I make my own crust or buy something premade?

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Pre-made take and bakes are great and you can loosely follow their baking instructions... That being said, if you make your own pie = your own doe - the personal satifsfaction that imo the most important of any cook will be through the roof when you nail it! Have fun brother! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I usually go hotter than recommended temps instructions on take and bakes :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    I always buy the dough from a local joint. Pizza dough has been my nemisis. I do make my own sauces though. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    @Battleborn what joints do you get dough from? I can't find any place that will sell me  their dough. I noticed you're in Vegas, but SHSU avatar? Nice! I live in Conroe now, but grew up in Vegas. 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • StaMic006
    StaMic006 Posts: 13
    Options
    reload said:
    I've been waiting to try pizza on my new stone for several weeks now.  Does anyone have suggestions for a first time pizza guy?  Should I make my own crust or buy something premade?
    If you live near a Publix Supermarket go and buy one of their doe balls in the bakery cold section.  Sit it out for one hour prior to rolling/tossing, throw on some sauce, cheese and any other toppings (venison sausage is my fav) and you are gtg.  You will be amazed how easy it is.  I go 750ish for about 7-10 min.    
    Buford, GA  LBGE, BGE MiniMax
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    tisoypops said:
    @Battleborn what joints do you get dough from? I can't find any place that will sell me  their dough. I noticed you're in Vegas, but SHSU avatar? Nice! I live in Conroe now, but grew up in Vegas. 
    @tisoypops Trader Joe's has good pizza dough 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

I also buy my dough, I go to Deweys. They charge $3 a dough for a 13", I buy multiples and freeze them. When ready I take one out of the freezer and put in the fridge to thaw, happens real quick.

Once out I form the dough to the right size once the Egg is close to or up to temp. I go about 500-600 no higher. I slide on once ready using my pizza peel with either parchment paper underneath or corn meal. Cooks for about 5-7 minutes, I check and rotate as needed. Works real well for me.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Bought dough at Harris Teeter, pizza came out awesome!  We did a pesto, onion, garlic, green onion, sausage, basil with Feta cheese.  Cooked it on parchment paper on a pizza stone.  Can't wait to try it again!! 
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,084
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I make my own dough. Detailed description of what I do to make pizza in in this thread. It's pretty simple for first timers.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Don't need parchment. Many use a dusting of corn meal on the pizza peel. 

Pizzas take a handful of cooks to get the hang, what time and temp works best for you. Some go 450. Others 600-700.  

Lower expectations and get better each time. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I buy fresh dough from the grocery store and form the pizza on parchment paper, makes getting the pizza on a breeze.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Girlfriend and I jumped in head first and bought all ingredients to make the dough and fresh toppings. A few mishaps here and there but it was very satisfying and fun
    Austin, Tx
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    One of the biggest game changers for me is to find a way to get the pizza up in the dome.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    I've had pretty good success so far with this set up...P/S legs up, standard grate on the legs, BGE raised grate with BGE  stone on top of that.  The BGE raised grate brings the stone up just a couple of inches and you could do the same with some type of spacer.  I preheat with pizza stone in place to about 625 and slide the pie on, bake for about 10 minutes or so.  So far, I've only done par-bake pies from a local pizza place and they've been perfect.  The thinner the crust, the faster the bake time.  Its important to have your stone hot before you put the pie on it as it makes for a crispier crust.  FWIW, my wife and I went to a pizza get together last week at her cousin's farm someplace in the middle of nowhere.  He built an outdoor pizza oven.  Wow! 
    We all made our own pizza, thin crust and the bake time was about 2-3 minutes.  By far the best I've ever had.  The crust was the trick to the whole thing.  No doubt I can do the same on the BGE.  I have a supply of Caputto 00 flour just waiting till I have the time.
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    Try getting semolina.  It's less gritty than cornmeal.
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    @tisoypops we moved to Las Vegas a year ago. My wife is from the Conroe area and we lived in Porter (I know, gross) while I went to school at Sam after leaving the military. I get our dough from a place called Sunset Pizza, right up the street from us. As far as your area, maybe the HEB on 105, out towards the lake? Or Trader Joe's, I think there is one in The Woodlands. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I make a lot of my own pizza and bread dough and have lots of opinions. For true beginners, go easy. Find a local place that will sell you dough, preferably rolled out. It just makes it easier and cuts down the mess. I started with Bertuccis. 

If soneone wants to take it to the next level, I suggest Jim Lahey's no knead pizza dough linked here:http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

a few other pointers. 

Follow a recipe including cook temp, a lot of people think they can crank out high heat pies without realizing they will burn the crust. 

Get the pie as high in the dome as possible. 

Create an air gap between your stone and the platesetter/heat deflector. You can use anything, SS nuts, copper plumbing tees, even a small cooking grate.  

Practice launching a pie off a peel, until you are comfortable use parchment paper. 

Ken Forkish's book The Elements Of Pizza is a great resource.  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited July 2016
    Options
    reload said:
    Does anyone have suggestions for a first time pizza guy? 
    @reload
    Preheat your pizza stone for 30-45 minutes before putting on a pizza. Make sure you have a gap between the platesetter and pizza stone. Your bottom will burn if your pizza stone is placed directly on the platesetter. The gap gives your toppings a chance to finish when your crust is being cooked. I'm a fan of parchment paper. You can keep the dough on the parchment paper and slide on the stone. You can remove the parchment paper after a few minutes to keep the dough from sticking or keep the parchment paper under the pizza on the stone the whole cook. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,084
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Setup for pizza made mid-week (PS legs up for indirect, grid), using fire bricks to raise the pizza stone up into the dome, which is a deal breaker:

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    This is how I set mine up.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Anyone use a pizza screen? Bought one at RD but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2016
    Options

General pizza tips:

1.) Make your own dough if you want to go above 450 F.  Bottom burns easily on almost every premade dough I've ever tried.
    2.) If you preheat your cooking stone, there's absolutely no need for parchment paper, corn meal, etc.  A few minutes after it "cooks" on the stone it won't be sticking anymore.
    3.) The higher in the dome the better, helps get the top done in line with the bottom.
    4.) Have all your ingredients cut up and ready to go.  Rub a little flour into your peel (I use wood) and assemble your pizza on the peel.  Give it a little shake every 30 seconds so it doesn't stick.
    5.) High heat pizzas taste better than low heat pizzas (in my opinion) so make your own dough (wetter) and crank up the egg (750 F +) !!!  You'll love it!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

General pizza tips:

1.) Make your own dough if you want to go above 450 F.  Bottom burns easily on almost every premade dough I've ever tried.
    2.) If you preheat your cooking stone, there's absolutely no need for parchment paper, corn meal, etc.  A few minutes after it "cooks" on the stone it won't be sticking anymore.
    3.) The higher in the dome the better, helps get the top done in line with the bottom.
    4.) Have all your ingredients cut up and ready to go.  Rub a little flour into your peel (I use wood) and assemble your pizza on the peel.  Give it a little shake every 30 seconds so it doesn't stick.
    5.) High heat pizzas taste better than low heat pizzas (in my opinion) so make your own dough (wetter) and crank up the egg (750 F +) !!!  You'll love it!
    I agree with most of this, but I have a metal peel, so making the pizza on parchment paper is for me.  I don't like the feel of corn meal or any other gritty material.  I like cooking around 550 and half way through the cook, when I turn the pizza I pull the parchment paper out.

@reload, I go legs don on the PS, grate on top of it, homemade raised grid then XLBGE pizza stone.  I get the egg to 550 and let it sit there for 45 minutes before putting a pizza on.  I usually go 4 minutes then turn it a 1/4 turn.  Check it after another 4 and if done pull, if not turn another 1/4 turn and check it in a minute or so.  As for dough I have used Trader Joes and  made my own with using 00 pizza flour from my egg dealer.  I was told you can get dough from Papa Murphy's if there is one around you or just get a couple pizzas from them and try it out.  I like their pizza better on the egg then in the oven.  There are a lot of good pizza threads on here so try a  search as well.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • reload
    reload Posts: 267
    Options
    It's official, pizza on the Egg is my new favorite!   Thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips, this forum never ceases to amaze me.  I was able to purchase dough from a local pizzeria.  We made two pies this afternoon.   The first was straight up pepperoni.  The second was pepperoni, bacon and sautéed onions.  Both were gone in a matter of minutes! 
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Options
    Thanks @Battleborn and @WeberWho. I've tried some I got from the freezer section in heb. May have to check out trader joes too. I asked a couple pizzas places and they all gave me dirty looks like I was some kind of dumba$$ for even asking such a thing. Porter eh? Haha Hey, I know a guy who recommended me looking for a house there. I didn't know any better as I had recently moved to an apt in Conroe. Luckily I talked to more people and not a single other one recommended it. Haha. Now we are looking in Montgomery near the lake. 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • dgordon2nc
    dgordon2nc Posts: 100
    Options
    Trader joes dough is great!  Highly recommend. My setup is: plate setter legs up, grate, bricks and then stone. I get up to 650 or so and let it heat up for about 30-40 mins. I've tried other dough but get great results with tj's!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Anyone use a pizza screen? Bought one at RD but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
    @HofstraJet- I use pizza screens.  I like them. Sometimes I will cook the pizza for a while and then slide it on the stone directly to get the bottom crisper. It is really easy to do once the pie is partially cooked.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Pghegger
    Pghegger Posts: 58
    Options
    Love all the different pizza options.  Is there a way to raise the grid with the Woo with the plate setter in use?
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I've been buying premade thin crust from the local specialty store and Krogers. Every time I screw around with making dough, its a disappointing mess. Then I load it up with whatever sauces and toppings we want and throw it on the egg.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.