Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Comprehensive Mini Max Reviews?

Options
Was thinking about getting a Mini Max for those days where it's raining/snowing, such that I can grill/smoke under a covered porch. I've read most of what's out there as far as promotional material and Eggheadforum cooks and the like. While I've picked up bits and pieces here and there, I've yet to come across a comprehensive review covering the pros and cons such as hot and fast, low and slow, lump consumption, ease of transportation, size restrictions, etc.

Is anyone aware of such a review? Also, wouldn't hurt if it drew some comparisons to the Kamado Joe Jr.!

Also, going rate for a Mini Max and plate setter in these parts (Ottawa) is around $1000. If anyone in the area has a lead on where to get a better deal on one, please give me a shout.

Thanks.

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I don't have time for a full review but I can tell you that IMHO it is not worth its sales price.  At 400$... Maybe. At 800-1000... Not so much.

Ease of transportation?  The large is easier to move if you ask me.  The dome handle (or the hinge) of the minimax is hitting your belly when you hold it by the nest handle.  It is heavier than you can think.

Grilling/smoking when it's raining or snowing?  You can do that with a large.

I like it for low and slow.  For grilling, it is ok, not exceptional.  The food is so close to the charcoal that you constantly need to watch it/turn it to avoid burning it.

Do yourself a favour, get a medium or another large.

Costco.ca has another brand for 300$

Options
    I cook with a large under a covered porch all the time. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @paqman: Thanks for that. The point of the MM for me would be to use it on my covered front porch in inclement weather. The Large is not under shelter and would therefore get hit with precipitation on bad weather days. My approach would've to keep the MM in the garage and take it out when needed.

Last year, I had the opportunity to pick up a new Joe Jr. for $500 (taxes in). I'm now kicking myself for not having gotten it.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    We bought a MM a while ago, I put up a post with thoughts on it after some time of owning it. Can't comment about MM vs KJ though.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    We bought a MM a while ago, I put up a post with thoughts on it after some time of owning it. Can't comment about MM vs KJ though.
    Thanks.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    800-1000 for a MM? That is too much for sure. Got mine for 500. I must say, in my experience, it has been money invested well. I have learned to cook with it, as it is different from the XL, which I had to learn to cook with as well. My Beautiful Wife, and I, love camping and tailgating. The MM has been perfect for us. Transport is not an issue, and frankly, having a roast with corn or potatoes off the MM, after a long day of hiking and climbing, does not suck.
    We love ours, it has been the best addition thus far. If anything should ever happen to the MM, I would get another that same day.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks @YukonRon. I am in Canada, where we pay outrageous prices.  ;)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That is unfortunate, the price of the MM in Canada. Maybe one day things will change. I hope so. I apologize for my lack of knowledge, on things Canadian, but it might be worth a side trip should you ever wish to vacation down south. I know I would be willing to help should we ever cross paths on the noble quest.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Mini Max is the best grill evarrrrr, and should be bought at any price up to $1,000!!!!

All kidding aside.  I have one and love it.  I can move it around without struggle, and just took it to the lake on Saturday.  I upgraded to a kick ash basket and can get to temp with no problem.  I've done low and slows as well as grilled many times without any problem. 

Now I have heard there is a competitor model out there as well.  I'm not familiar with it as I've never seen one in person.  However, it is red and would not go with my XL! 

Disclaimer: I drink the kool-aid, love my BGE's and the lifestyle.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    That's exceptionally kind of you YukonRon. Unfortunately, warranties are not good across borders, so I'd likely bite the bullet and simply pay the higher price. Thanks anyway! Much appreciated.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Try an eggfest. I have a MM and love it. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ...Also, wouldn't hurt if it drew some comparisons to the Kamado Joe Jr.!...

This has been discussed many times here. The search function should turn up more threads.

Many of us have opted for the KJ Jr. rather than the MiniMax. Many others would do the same except they have an aversion to the color red. :)

You may want to see if a Costco near you may be having a KJ Roadshow this year. Excellent pricing at those events.

I think the KJ Jr. is the superior cooker in every way but then I also am satisfied with Royal Oak lump so many would say that my judgement is suspect. :)

EDIT:

Looking back at a recent thread on this topic I see that at a Costco Roadshow in Southern Ontario a few weeks ago the price for a KJ Jr. was $470 Canadian dollars. It was also mentioned that Lowes also sells KJ's but at a bit higher price.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1196442/costco-during-kj-road-show-dangerous/p2
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk