Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco score? Or not so much?

Options
I can't go to Costco without checking to see what's in the prime meat case. Ours does a great job of almost always having ribeye cap (as it did this trip). But today I also saw this pack and couldn't resist buying it, figuring $9.99 a pound for any kind of prime steak can't be that bad. I've eaten top sirloin before but don't think I've bought any prime at the store.

So was this a decent deal or not really?

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

1.jpg 266.5K
2.jpg 504.2K

Comments

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Whole primal is better deal a few &/lb cheaper, but still best deal at costco. Killer tender steak. Upper part of tritip.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I do not agree with those USDA cooking instructions. 160 is way too high. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    Ha.  Don't think I've ever noticed those "directions." Can't imagine these will reach an internal temp higher than 130.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I'd hit those. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    That's because Costco blade tenderizes their steaks.  Since they so that, they have to give the USDA guideline for ground beef.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Decent deal.  Learned an open egg cooking method from a great guy (from Romania, and name evades me)at N. GA eggfest.  Monster skewers with regular turning.  Carve off edges as you go.  It rocks.

Here's his cook. Sea salt only after each shave. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Decent deal.  Learned an open egg cooking method from a great guy (from Romania, and name evades me)at N. GA eggfest.  Monster skewers with regular turning.  Carve off edges as you go.  It rocks.

Ahhhhhh. Picanha.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Ahhhhhh. Picanha.
    Yessir, and thanks for naming it properly brother.  I'm missing Balmer pit beef.  Need to do it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Acn said:
    That's because Costco blade tenderizes their steaks.  Since they so that, they have to give the USDA guideline for ground beef.

Seriously?  I didn't know they mechanically tenderized their steaks.

How about this for a guideline to tender steaks?  Don't overcook it.  Ahem.  Thermapen.

DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Years back someone made a device where you stacked the meat vertically and sliced the outsides off as it cooked to make Gyros. It wasn't commercial it was just something someone posted on the forum. Seemed really cool this made me remember it for some reason. 
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Acn said:

Seriously?  I didn't know they mechanically tenderized their steaks.

How about this for a guideline to tender steaks?  Don't overcook it.  Ahem.  Thermapen.

They blade tenderize prime tenderloin. The only thing they don't blade tenderize is if it is unopened cryovac and flank steak. Go figure.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Lit said:
    bgebrent said:

Years back someone made a device where you stacked the meat vertically and sliced the outsides off as it cooked to make Gyros. It wasn't commercial it was just something someone posted on the forum. Seemed really cool this made me remember it for some reason. 
    I think that person made it for gyros or al pastor? I envy that **** to this day.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148825/tacos-al-pastor/p1

This post impressed the crap out of me as well.  Someday...