Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is there a trick for pulling membrane off ribs?

Options
is there a trick for removing the membrane off ribs?
ive tried it a few times but give up...

Comments

• Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Just grab with a paper towel and pull
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited June 2016
    Options
    There are quite a few you tube video's on this, but ... if you bought from Costco, they are pulled off by the butcher.

If they are still intact, get a butterknife and gently try to get between the membrane and rib. Once you get a bit lifted off, get a dry papertowel and pull the membrane off.

Practice makes it simple over time.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    What @Tony_T said. Sometimes I need to use a sharp paring knife to get it started.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I start seperating with a pair of kitchen shears held perpendicular to the ribs and work them under the membrane until I can get a good grip on it. Then pull firmly but gently while working my fingers underneath.
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I use a spoon handle to pull up the corner of the membrane by the end rib. Once I get a little flap started, I grab it with a paper towel and pull..............do it right and it all comes off in one movement.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Yep, paper towels.  I get the peel started between two ribs with my finger, then grab it with a paper towel, and it pulls off easily with a nice grip.

Funny story, I did the same with my kids teeth when they were young and were loosing teeth.  They didn't want to wait for the tooth to hang by a thread, they wanted them OUT!.  Works like a charm!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Use the force.

....but really.  Use the knife, paper towel solution 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    there's a membrane along the inside of the  ribs, the inside of the chest cavity if you will.  that's what you take off.

but there's also a membrane around each rib.  this one ain't coming off.

when you buy a slab of ribs that has been trimmed, you'll sometimes find one exposed bone, down the small end, with a tail of membrane completely off the bone, flapping in the breeze.  happens if they trim this bone with a saw.

if you grab that whole thing and try to pull it off, it won't come off, because you are ALSO grabbing that sheath membrane around the bone. and

instead, take a piece of paper towel or paper napkin and grab/pinch at the membrane near the tip of a rib.  it should pull off easily.  start at the small end, and you can often take the thing in one go.  but it may come off in a couple strips

hard to explain word-wise.

you are NOT looking for perfectly exposed bone, so don't pry a knife down to the bone and pry up.  you will be working under the sheath around te bone, and that's not going anywhere.  just the outer membrane of the cavity wall.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Also seems to help if you let them warm up some on the counter. 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Paper towel...comes right off...one of the first things I learned from "Bub-A-Q" at one of my 1st competitions ....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Melissa Cookston, Memphis Barbecue Company does it best. I was amazed that they do pull the membrane in her restaurant. It is at 2:43 in.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/baby-back-ribs-recipe.html#lightbox-recipe-video?oc=linkback

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    paper towel, grab membrane in the middle of the rack starting at the side, pull till i can get a finger under it, pull the thing off. seems this is hard for the first few rib cooks and then you never think about it again =)once the towel gets wet, get a dry one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Captainjimpark
    Options
    Thanks everyone,great advice as usual.i never thought of using a paper towel.
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    Options
    I just grab with paper towel
    Dyersburg, TN
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I use a fork to get started then pull with a paper towel.  Look for an edge that is already loose that helps me and I think it works better when they are cold.  Duroc ribs usually have the membrane's already removed in cryovacs.  Look for them they are great pork as well.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    One other tip besides the paper towel. Take a sharp knife and slit the membrane down the length of the slab. That way it takes only half as much force.
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw you answered my question of the 2nd membrane! I always thought i got the membrane off then noticed that 2nd membrane.
    Austin, Tx
  • Hudak
    Hudak Posts: 13
    Options
    I worked as a cook years ago when I was was younger and had to peel a few hundred a day...best thing i found was a tomato corer.

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    The paper towel trick has worked for me 99% of the time.  The1% that it didn't was a Costco batch that I spent 10 minutes looking and examining it before I realized it was pulled already!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    theyolksonyour mentioned it above, but it's worth repeating, it comes off much easier if they've been sitting out a bit rather than fresh out of the fridge.
    Stillwater, MN
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Yo butcher....can you remove that membrane for me please?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    Disposable chop sticks from a Chinese restaurant work very well to get under the membrane and work it loose for the paper towel. They don't seem to tear the membrane as easily as other devices.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Have yet to figure this out 
  • Homebrewguy
    Homebrewguy Posts: 158
    Options
    Dare I ask...does the membrane really need to be removed?
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Dare I ask...does the membrane really need to be removed?
    Not necessary but for me it's very noticeable when left on.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • Homebrewguy
    Homebrewguy Posts: 158
    Options
    Hmm...I left it on ours over the weekend and I didn't even notice it.  That was with extremely tender meat that pretty much fell off the bones.
    LBGE & Masterbuilt 30" Stainless Electric Digital Smokehouse w/Cold Smoker
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I use catfish skinners. 

Little Rock, AR

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Options
    Hmm...I left it on ours over the weekend and I didn't even notice it.  That was with extremely tender meat that pretty much fell off the bones.
    I don't foil so maybe if I did it would not be as noticeable but when I've left it on it becomes very brittle and you can hear it crack when you do the bend test. It's almost like a hot dog in natural casing.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I don't really see any difference with the membrane removed vs simply scoring it with a sharp knife. I still remove it most cooks since "tradition" tells me I should.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim