Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please share your favorite (currently available) basic tools for grilling and smoking

Options
I'm looking for recommendaitons on the basic tools of grilling ...tools you've owned and would recommend.   Please share your favorite cleaning tool, tongs, gloves, cutting board, knives, thermometer, etc.....  and please include links!!!

Thanks, gang!

Comments

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    My thermapen is probably my favorite, most used item. I really like my Third Hand grate lifter (http://thirdeyeq.com/) and my woo and stone from the ceramic grill store.  

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Lump charcoal and smoke wood....

I'm assuming you have a cooking vessel and a way to light.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use a Thermopop:  http://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop  The thermopen is fantastic too, and has come down a bit in price, but they had a sale at one point and I think I got 5 pops for around $100, gave two away, one in the camping box, and two in the kitchen.  It was a great deal and the couple of seconds difference didn't really matter to me too much.

Gloves:  http://smile.amazon.com/Extreme-932F-Heat-Resistant-Light-weight/dp/B00MR3BPPC?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I'm using these cutting boards right now: http://smile.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Cutting-Carving-Board/dp/B000AAM0EY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

But will likely upgrade to this when they need to be replaced: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001CMRQUW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N2C1G7WRSUG8&coliid=I4A4X6CR24F5B

Both cutting boards are ATK recommendations, the advantage the OXOs had was that they would fit in the dishwasher.  We've had to replace the dishwasher, and that is no longer the case, so if we have to handwash anyway, we'll move to wood.

I use OXO tongs, in a variety of lengths, I get them at Target.  For knives, you'll get lots of brand recommendations, but really 99% of your egg applications can be accomplished by a 12" slicing knife, and 8" chefs knife and a 3.5" paring knife.  Go somewhere that will let you pick up the knives, hold them, maybe even simulate cutting something.  The knife that feels the best in my hand with my cutting style probably won't be the same that works the best for you.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Weedburner, lump, firewood pile, my thermapen, Stainless insulated cup and the ice machine in my freezer. I don't have any barbecue specific tools. Everything I own is multi-purpose. But those make all the magic happen. Now if you are looking for recommendations on how to set up an outdoor or indoor kitchen then that is a separate thread and you can fly me down as a consultant.nThe amount of favorite things I own for cooking and the reasons why would fill a book. And you want me to just pop up the link. Be Serious. This kind of request irritates me. Do your homework yourself. Use the search tab etc.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    After the Egg, the Thermopop or Thermopen is the single biggest difference maker in my cooking. So many recipes say "cook till done", well if you are a newbie cook and don't know when done is nothing turns out right. I have a ceramic grill store adjustable rig which is helpful for multilevel cooks. I went to a restaurant supply store and bought some fairly inexpensive stuff, big cutting boards, tongs, pizza peel. I like my weedburner to start fires that I ordered on amazon, it uses the small propane bottles. 

By the same token, there are many gadgets that are loved on this forum, that I haven't needed, like a fan temperature controller, kick ash basket, etc. 
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I use Thirdeye's Thirdhand tool on every single cook.  Lift the grate out, hang it and light the coals.  http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html

Insulated food gloves for handling a pork shoulder, ribs, brisket, etc.

Welding Gloves for lifting out any equipment very hot.

Thermapen

And everything @Acn said!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    Thermapen is my one suggestion. Easy to spend others money here. Time will tell you what you really need and don't need for accessories. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • inkncraig
    inkncraig Posts: 4
    Options
    Cotton gloves and some latex gloves. Cheap and easy for picking up meats from the grill, the cotton helps insulatate your hands from the heat. THe Latex is just easy to toss. Your own hands are more sturdy than some tongs 
    Always keep exploring new possiblities

BGE mini, Classic B Vision Grill, Steel Texas offset, two weber kettles. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I too love the tools that lift the cooking grid and plate setter. There are various models out there, but you use them every single cook and they have relegated my welding gloves to very rare usage. I'm also a fan of the KAB and Smokeware cap. They just increase my personal experience. 
  • Kurrgo
    Kurrgo Posts: 23
    Options
  • Kurrgo
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    My thermapen is probably my favorite, most used item. I really like my Third Hand grate lifter (http://thirdeyeq.com/) and my woo and stone from the ceramic grill store.  
    That's a hefty price tag for the Thermapen.  Do you ever use a thermometer for in the grill vs stabbing the meat?  Thanks for sharing.
  • Kurrgo
    Options
    Acn said:
    I use a Thermopop:  http://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop  The thermopen is fantastic too, and has come down a bit in price, but they had a sale at one point and I think I got 5 pops for around $100, gave two away, one in the camping box, and two in the kitchen.  It was a great deal and the couple of seconds difference didn't really matter to me too much.

Gloves:  http://smile.amazon.com/Extreme-932F-Heat-Resistant-Light-weight/dp/B00MR3BPPC?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I'm using these cutting boards right now: http://smile.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Cutting-Carving-Board/dp/B000AAM0EY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

But will likely upgrade to this when they need to be replaced: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001CMRQUW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N2C1G7WRSUG8&coliid=I4A4X6CR24F5B

Both cutting boards are ATK recommendations, the advantage the OXOs had was that they would fit in the dishwasher.  We've had to replace the dishwasher, and that is no longer the case, so if we have to handwash anyway, we'll move to wood.

I use OXO tongs, in a variety of lengths, I get them at Target.  For knives, you'll get lots of brand recommendations, but really 99% of your egg applications can be accomplished by a 12" slicing knife, and 8" chefs knife and a 3.5" paring knife.  Go somewhere that will let you pick up the knives, hold them, maybe even simulate cutting something.  The knife that feels the best in my hand with my cutting style probably won't be the same that works the best for you.
    Thanks for the info.  I'm going to check all of the items out.  I was wondering about the Thermapop.  Thanks for sharing that you're using it.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    knife, tongs (long), and a spatula.

that is literally the sum total of my 'tools'.

i have a platesetter and a raised grid made from buts/bolts and a weber grid
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Kurrgo
    Options
    smbishop said:
    I use Thirdeye's Thirdhand tool on every single cook.  Lift the grate out, hang it and light the coals.  http://thirdeyeq.com/Custom_Tools.html

Insulated food gloves for handling a pork shoulder, ribs, brisket, etc.

Welding Gloves for lifting out any equipment very hot.

Thermapen

And everything @Acn said!

I dig how you can hang it from the table.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Kurrgo said
    I dig how you can hang it from the table.
    Exactly, you don't need to set it on the ground, or take up space on your table.  Great for reverse sears, etc.  Beyond tools, if you haven't already, you should check out the Ceramic Grill store for accessories:  https://ceramicgrillstore.com/
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    2 long handled metal spatulas for managing fish - 2 lets you flip a whole salmon filet.
  • Kurrgo
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Weedburner, lump, firewood pile, my thermapen, Stainless insulated cup and the ice machine in my freezer. I don't have any barbecue specific tools. Everything I own is multi-purpose. But those make all the magic happen. Now if you are looking for recommendations on how to set up an outdoor or indoor kitchen then that is a separate thread and you can fly me down as a consultant.nThe amount of favorite things I own for cooking and the reasons why would fill a book. And you want me to just pop up the link. Be Serious. This kind of request irritates me. Do your homework yourself. Use the search tab etc.
    Apologies for seeming like I was doing research.  I've read a tremendous number of forums with search results.  Many of them date back to 2012 with their results and I wanted to know about current or new items as well.   
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Fair enough. I have to admit I probably over reacted. My apologies. I don't mean to stomp on your enthusiasm. Everyone has to start somewhere. It just felt like you were asking for us to just flop out all the secrets for our favorite items that we have accumulated over the years and also go copy the links and post those as well. I have no idea of your experience level. This could be Bobby Flay for all I know. However a very different question would be What is a basic starter kit of items but of high quality. Maybe a budget as well. Now this tells me a lot. It tells me you are new to cooking, and how serious you are. And how much you can/willing to buy to get this started. If you just moved into your first apartment with your girlfriend who bought you the egg for your birthday, we know or can guess the situation. Limited budget, receptive girlfriend who is supportive. This way we can make suggestions that are usable to you. If you are a VP, loaded and are keeping this at your weekend estate that is different. We will gladly point you in that direction as well. The suggestions you have been given are solid ones. The first thing is a digital thermometer. The second is a bag of lump to burn up and play with temps. Learn how to control your egg. cook a lot of chicken thighs and spatchcock chicken. Learn how to light it and set it for 350 so you can do it every time. Learn what good and bad smoke is. Learn how to time it so you are ready to put on food and the temp of the egg is stable. Make sure you understand how to not overshoot your desired temp. Learn to creep up on it. If you have not cooked much on it, there is a learning curve. THEN, go spend a shite ton of money--slowly over time. And we will be more than glad to help with that process one or two pieces at time. Trust us, our favorite hobby next to cooking on eggs is helping spend your money.
  • dennis661
    dennis661 Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm a newbie, so this has been an essential tool.   A little pricey, but worth it while learning how to control the temps. 

DigiQ 2 from BBQ Guru. 

https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav?CategoryId=1&ProductId=24 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hey @Jstroke, it's time to take some medication. Good grief. 

@Kurrgo, good luck with your adventure. I'm glad you have thick skin. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,803
    Options
  • Kurrgo
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    Fair enough. I have to admit I probably over reacted. My apologies. I don't mean to stomp on your enthusiasm. Everyone has to start somewhere. It just felt like you were asking for us to just flop out all the secrets for our favorite items that we have accumulated over the years and also go copy the links and post those as well. I have no idea of your experience level. This could be Bobby Flay for all I know. However a very different question would be What is a basic starter kit of items but of high quality. Maybe a budget as well. Now this tells me a lot. It tells me you are new to cooking, and how serious you are. And how much you can/willing to buy to get this started. If you just moved into your first apartment with your girlfriend who bought you the egg for your birthday, we know or can guess the situation. Limited budget, receptive girlfriend who is supportive. This way we can make suggestions that are usable to you. If you are a VP, loaded and are keeping this at your weekend estate that is different. We will gladly point you in that direction as well. The suggestions you have been given are solid ones. The first thing is a digital thermometer. The second is a bag of lump to burn up and play with temps. Learn how to control your egg. cook a lot of chicken thighs and spatchcock chicken. Learn how to light it and set it for 350 so you can do it every time. Learn what good and bad smoke is. Learn how to time it so you are ready to put on food and the temp of the egg is stable. Make sure you understand how to not overshoot your desired temp. Learn to creep up on it. If you have not cooked much on it, there is a learning curve. THEN, go spend a shite ton of money--slowly over time. And we will be more than glad to help with that process one or two pieces at time. Trust us, our favorite hobby next to cooking on eggs is helping spend your money.
    No worries.  I'm just getting into charcoal grilling as I've always used gas.  I'm starting to read Meatheads book this weekend and looking forward to learning the egg.  I've seen accessories to help control temp but I think I want to learn the egg using air, the vents, and the coal.  I can afford to spend above budget items for sure.  I'd like to buy tools that will last longer.  The plan for now is to start with the platesetter doomg low and slow ribs.  I want to stay under the recommended temps for a few uses per the egg instructions.  No VP level but I'd consider a decent thermometer.  Do you have one you use for the grill temp vs meat?
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Just a thermapen
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Platesetter
    Thermapen
    Good tongs
    BBQ Gloves/Welding gloves

Other things: Adjustable rig, Spider, Cast Iron Grids, Third Hand

Then there are the luxury items  =)
    South SLO County
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have a thermopop and love it. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Kurrgo said:
    abpgwolf said:
    That's a hefty price tag for the Thermapen.  Do you ever use a thermometer for in the grill vs stabbing the meat?  Thanks for sharing.
    The Thermapen is the top of the line. Many forum members are very happy with the thermopop.  (I bought one for my inlaws & they like it)

I my the instant read on every cook to check if the food is done. I'll use a remote thermometer with a pit probe and a food probe to monitor the temp at the grid and the food during low and slow cooks. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options

Butcher paper, Aluminum foil and pans, temp control,  gloves, Thermapen, KAB, Lump, Smoke wood, wine cellar, occasionally bourbon, and all the time; blues.

Good talk.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky