Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What makes a good cook for an eggfest?

Options

Comments

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    RRP said:
    cmac610 said:
    RRP said:
    For the folks that have cooked at an Eggfest, do you factor the cost of the food into your planning? I know some folks sell rubs or shirts to help offset the cash outlay, but curious to know how everyone handles the expense of doing an Eggfest
    I never give it a thought. Typically I spend $40 or so, but then our dealer gives us a 20# bag of lump in appreciation so net net it cost me about $20. Nobody sells anything at our tests - seems like only the big ones have that kind of draw.
    "$40"? @RRP how are you pulling that off? We just did our first Eggfest and probably laid out $500+ on just the food we served. I need your menu!
    $500???? HOLY COW!!! I have now seen your menu of items which is VERY elaborate but you obviously were serving hundreds and hundreds more people than I do at our small eggfest, but even at that $500? Are you actually a restaurant operator or on the competition circuit? If not, you sure are professional for a first time egger! Not many here are going to be willing to shell out $500 for food to give away!
    @cmac610, don't let them shame you too much on that.  We go a little over the top, too.

That is what @caliking and I turned into bulgogi last week.  You can probably do the math.... not to mention our arty serving eggs
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    WOWSER - leaving the impression to potential egg festers that you need to spend $500 or stay at home is not a good impression IMHO.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Screw cookin'.  With items like what's posted, I should hover around these eggs with full blown michelin menus, eating for free.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• 20stone
    Options
    RRP said:
    WOWSER - leaving the impression to potential egg festers that you need to spend $500 or stay at home is not a good impression IMHO.
    Far from it.  I'm just saying that there is a range, and some clearly go overboard... which is fine, too.

Down here, at least, the sponsors usually hook us up with grocery gift cards and other schwag, which will also help defray the cost for some. 

FWIW, $500 is less than $1/serving around here (I think we banged out more like 600 servings at Space City, with plenty of food to take home), which isn't crazy by any stretch.

If you can bang out 600 servings for $50, more power to you.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Focker
    Options
    The ones going overboard are compensating.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    edited May 2016
    Options
    20stone said:

If you can bang out 600 servings for $50, more power to you.

Excuse me...I never said I was banging out 600 serving for $50! Oh never mind...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I don't even want to think about what I've spent on eggfests and other egg related events.... But it was worth it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't mind spending coin if the people actually said thank you and waited until you set the food out before they grabbed it

who was it that set out a tray of raw chicken to be cooked, turned around to get something, and when they turned back to start cooking, found half the chicken gone?

anyway. The few fests i  have been to were about hanging with the boys for a weekend, cooking, drinking (a little), and fishing. 

Food of course. But the best food was at the after party

i'm only willing to help a faceless corporation sell high end products at my expense to a certain point. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Focker
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nicely put valid points Darby.  
    The after party is where the real magic happens.

"A little".  Hahahahahaha
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited May 2016
    Options
    All Eggfests are not the same.

We are fortunate to have a great stable of cooks out here after 11 years.  We try to run a break even event and hand out a $300 valued goodie bag to each cook, just to help offset all cook's expenditures that are incurred. We do have typically 26/30 cooks and 500+ tasters.   Our teams that tend to go "over the top" do have a chance to win a Large Egg, Mini max as well as other great prizes each year.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Focker
    edited May 2016
    Options
    All Eggfests are not the same.

Oh, I couldn't agree more.  I think everyone should come out to Hiawassee, and pay the Don a visit.

A nice gesture, but I'm not in it for the monay, or even a t-shirt.
    I know full well, wtf I'm getting into, and expect zero return.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Focker said:
    The ones going overboard are compensating.
    Yep compensating for the slackers!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    egger ave said:
    IMHO A lot of what we eat and like is the result of marketing and tweaking for our taste buds, not that it tastes great or is good for us.
    Yea & I only like thin women because of marketing and tweaking of both heads by Vogue Magazine. 
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Kay and I try to cook something that we think the tasters will like, something that won't break our bank and something that is a fast cook.

We have come to realize that most fest have lots of meat paired with more meat! chicken and pork mostly.

Also many people have no idea that one can bake a cake/bread in there egg so we always bake one of KayNOcook's easy apple cakes. We do BBQ pulled pork pizzas too, get the very thin pizza crust at Restaurant Depot like 30 crust for $30.00 I'm sure they are not as good as homemade crust but we usually can't make them fast enough and people come back for more. I actually had a guy watch me take a pizza off the egg at the Tampa Bay fest 2 years ago and say you baked that in the egg?  Kids are always excited when I ask them if they want a cheese only pizza.

Jalamango Lime wings are always another great hit. We enjoy the comradery of cooking at Eggfest and it's nice to get swag stuff but sometimes it's not much but that is certainly ok with us. One fest that we always cook at we are give a lot of pork and chicken wings to cook because they want to make sure there is enough food for the taster.

I hope this post encourages people that are on the fence about cooking at a fest, we always cook at fest.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    RRP said:
    cmac610 said:
    RRP said:
    For the folks that have cooked at an Eggfest, do you factor the cost of the food into your planning? I know some folks sell rubs or shirts to help offset the cash outlay, but curious to know how everyone handles the expense of doing an Eggfest
    I never give it a thought. Typically I spend $40 or so, but then our dealer gives us a 20# bag of lump in appreciation so net net it cost me about $20. Nobody sells anything at our tests - seems like only the big ones have that kind of draw.
    "$40"? @RRP how are you pulling that off? We just did our first Eggfest and probably laid out $500+ on just the food we served. I need your menu!
    $500???? HOLY COW!!! I have now seen your menu of items which is VERY elaborate but you obviously were serving hundreds and hundreds more people than I do at our small eggfest, but even at that $500? Are you actually a restaurant operator or on the competition circuit? If not, you sure are professional for a first time egger! Not many here are going to be willing to shell out $500 for food to give away!
    My Eggtoberfest budget last year was $3500. Then again, we fed all 5000 people. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Folks cooking at the NCBB spent some decent coin only serving about a hundred folks. It's all about what you enjoy doing...
    I didn't keep track of it, probably should have.  Countless trips to the stores for stuff, and I still forgot items.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    Options

WOW! My hat is off to you, Sir!!! That is called having some serious skin in the game!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    RRP said:

WOW! My hat is off to you, Sir!!! That is called having some serious skin in the game!
    A lot of skin!  Maybe four....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I always plan to cook for about 4 hours worth of food.  Biggest thing to do is to not get so busy that you don't get to go around and meet the other eggers and try some of their dishes as well.  We typically make something breakfasty in the morning, then a main course that is still fingerfood-ish (wings, Eggrolls, fatties, etc), then end our cook with something sweet (usually some cookies).  Most are there to have fun and fellowship with others, which is what I personally think it's all about.  The ones that are treating it like a competition are missing out IMO, but to each his own. ;) 
  • cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 154
    Options
    caliking said:
    I don't think the message at any time was that you have to spend big bux to cook at an eggfest. It's like buying a car - some people buy a Hyundai and some people buy a Mercedes. Some people buy a Ford.  And some people buy a Bentley. 

Folks sign up and cook what they like,  and what they think other folks would like. I don't think there is that much more to it. 

But I have found that cooking my heart out at eggfests has helped me compensate for soooooooo many things.  Just so happens that I had a good time and met some great folks while doing it. 
    Agree 100%. I was not bragging nor trying to shame anyone that spent less. We had a blast planning a more "elaborate" menu and knew what the costs associated would be. That was our choice. We did it for fun, and yes, we're a bit competitive, so we wanted to place well. Hell, I've probably done dumber things with $500 that didn't bring as much joy anyway. Well...there was that one night...

And @SMITTYtheSMOKER...the goodie bags were TOP NOTCH! Thanks!!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    #BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    And  eggfests are cheaper than therapy/lithium/Prozac. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cmac610
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Most are there to have fun and fellowship with others, which is what I personally think it's all about.  The ones that are treating it like a competition are missing out IMO, but to each his own. ;) 
    Like everything in life, it's about balance. It wasn't always easy pulling myself away from the Egg, but meeting the other teams, cooks and staff that was there was a great part of the day.
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I've actually never even thought to add up what I spent cooking at eggfests, but it's probably fair to say that each one was closer to $50 than $500.  With that said, sharing a tent with Team @caliking and @20stone, has made me start thinking of ways to up my game for the next time I'm able to get to one.  This is not to say that they made me feel bad because all I did was baked some apple slices wrapped in storebought crescent rolls.  It is just that being there and seeing others bring their "A" game pushes me to want to be better every time I cook.  As a result, by the next time I cook at an eggfest I will have continued to evolve as an outdoor cook and I will likely think of something different to cook.  It's just a case of people pushing and supporting each other to be better at a hobby. 

But the real challenge is - as @cmac610 stated - trying to find balance between trying to cook something that makes everybody say "Wow!" - or wins a prize or contest, vs being able to relax, drink adult beverages, and enjoy what everybody else is doing.  There's room for all approaches at an eggfest.  That's part of what makes it great to go to one.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    ...But the real challenge is - as @cmac610 stated - trying to find balance between trying to cook something that makes everybody say "Wow!" - or wins a prize or contest, vs being able to relax, drink adult beverages, and enjoy what everybody else is doing.  There's room for all approaches at an eggfest.  That's part of what makes it great to go to one.
    That is the beauty of the Salado EggFest.  While we can all murder ourselves on Saturday banging out 600 - 800 tastes, you have both Friday AND Saturday night to go a little slower and share fun food with the other cooks.

I would like to be able to walk around a bit the day of, however.  We did find at Space City that having a few more hands helping out makes a world of difference.

For the record, @Foghorn, those apple crescent thingies were tasty, and your beer cooler was off the chain.  It was also great to share a tent with a normal sized person for a change
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • cmac610
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    ...But the real challenge is - as @cmac610 stated - trying to find balance between trying to cook something that makes everybody say "Wow!" - or wins a prize or contest, vs being able to relax, drink adult beverages, and enjoy what everybody else is doing.  There's room for all approaches at an eggfest.  That's part of what makes it great to go to one.
    and your beer cooler was off the chain. 
    "Beer cooler" @Foghorn? That sounds like a good Memorial Weekend drink. Recipe?
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
  • 20stone
    Options
    cmac610 said:
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    and your beer cooler was off the chain. 
    "Beer cooler" @Foghorn? That sounds like a good Memorial Weekend drink. Recipe?

1. Reach into @Foghorn's beer cooler
    2. Pull out a biiiiiiig bottle of an impossible to get Belgian ale (@texaswig asked him if his son "kiestered it" down to Salado from college)
    3. Open
    4. Drink, and (grudgingly) pass around
    5. Repeat
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    That is the beauty of the Salado EggFest.  While we can all murder ourselves on Saturday banging out 600 - 800 tastes, you have both Friday AND Saturday night to go a little slower and share fun food with the other cooks.

I would like to be able to walk around a bit the day of, however.  We did find at Space City that having a few more hands helping out makes a world of difference.

For the record, @Foghorn, those apple crescent thingies were tasty, and your beer cooler was off the chain.  It was also great to share a tent with a normal sized person for a change

Yeah, @20stone, I definitely spent more on beer than on food this year.  I don't see that changing going forward.  

And I love that you brought those homemade "table elevators" so the prep and serving tables were up at the appropriate height for a normal person.  I was thinking that next time we get together you should probably bring a couple of extra table elevators that we can secure in some way to poor little @caliking's shoes.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX