Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where do you buy your accessories? Also - Are Raised Grates for More Cooking Space?

Options
Hi gang!  I'm new to the BGE and may be picking up my egg this weekend.  I'm thinking of buying a grill gripper, ash tool, platesetter, firestarters, and BGE lump charcoal.  Do you buy accessories from your local dealer or are you using an online service.  I'm specifically looking for info on quality of the BGE grill gripper and ash tool they carry in store.

I might also be interested in adding veggies and other items during the end of a long cooking session: is a raised grate used to accomplish this?   If so - what are the best current versions on the market?  

Thanks, everybody!  Have a great weekend!

Comments

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    Pass on the plate setter and check out the products at the Ceramic Grill Store online.  An adjustable rig is going to give you infinitely more cooking options and space.  Also, BGE lump is just Royal Oak with a higher price tag.  I buy local when I can, but some things aren't available everywhere.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    ^^^^^^ What he said!
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Most dealers include those items with the purchase of a new egg. I would push for those items, unless your getting the egg at a lot lower price.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Kurrgo
    Kurrgo Posts: 23
    Options
    gamason said:
    Most dealers include those items with the purchase of a new egg. I would push for those items, unless your getting the egg at a lot lower price.
    I'm getting quoted between $1100-$1250 for all of those.  Is that too much?
  • Kurrgo
    Options
    Pass on the plate setter and check out the products at the Ceramic Grill Store online.  An adjustable rig is going to give you infinitely more cooking options and space.  Also, BGE lump is just Royal Oak with a 

can you please link the rig?  
  • Kurrgo
    Options
    Pass on the plate setter and check out the products at the Ceramic Grill Store online.  An adjustable rig is going to give you infinitely more cooking options and space.  Also, BGE lump is just Royal Oak with a higher price tag.  I buy local when I can, but some things aren't available everywhere.
    Can you please link the rig?  Want to make sure it's the right one I'm looking at.  Thank you!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kurrgo said:
    Hi gang!  I'm new to the BGE and may be picking up my egg this weekend.  I'm thinking of buying a grill gripper, ash tool, platesetter, firestarters, and BGE lump charcoal.  Do you buy accessories from your local dealer or are you using an online service.  I'm specifically looking for info on quality of the BGE grill gripper and ash tool they carry in store.

I might also be interested in adding veggies and other items during the end of a long cooking session: is a raised grate used to accomplish this?   If so - what are the best current versions on the market?  

@Kurrgo   First off, Welcome to the forum! and congrats on your new egg.

Forgive me for messing with your plan, but maybe I can help save some $.

Grill Gripper - I've never needed one.  Buy a pair of welding gloves - they will serve many purposes

Ash Tool - A shop vac is soooo much easier, unless your purpose was to stir the lump, but any piece of metal will work for that.

Platesetter - I think CGS as mentioned above is a much better / versatile system
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/pages/adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg-introduction

Firestarters - some use them,  I think most use either paper towels soaked with oil, or even more common is some form of weed burner.

BGE Lump - Lots of lump out there, as well as opinions.  If it's BGE lump you want, then I'd buy Royal oak (same stuff).  A 15.44lb bag at home depot runs $12.88.  They just had a sale on for 7.88.  If it's not on sale I use Rockwood (Firecraft.com).  Without starting a lump war, I'll just say those are the two most common lumps discussed on the forum.

An instant read thermometer will change the way you cook, if you don't have one already.  Thermoworks makes the thermopop, and thermopen.
    Phoenix 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome to the madhouse! If you are planning to attend an eggfest any time soon, you can save a bunch on the purchase of an egg. The Georgia Mountain Eggfest was just held recently and they had some very good pricing for demo eggs (used that day for the fest only and fully warranted by BGE). For example, large was priced at $749 with a nest. All sizes were available at similar discounts. Most fests also offer a 10% discount on accessories purchased with an egg.

I never cared much for either of BGE's grill grippers. I've been using one of those three-pronged garden tools for years. Still works great even after the outer prongs broke off. :) Works on either cast iron or the stock grid.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  You are in for a treat!  FYI I really like the Rockwood...if you decide to go that route buy 5 bags at a time to get free shipping (>$100) from Firecraft.  I've had my XL BGE for 3 years now and still debating whether to pull the trigger on the AR.  Making 2 20lb briskets this weekend could of used it.  But like the earlier comment depend on what size you currently have, how many you are cooking for and what type of cooking you prefer.  Personally if I did it over again I would of got the AR first.  But the only thing I struggle with is storing it when I'm not using since I like the cast iron grid for direct cooks.  Anyway you go you are in for a lot of fun and some great food.  Oh just an idea. I like to keep a diary on every cook so you remember how you did the Really good ones.  Enjoy!
  • Kurrgo
    Options
    gamason said:
    I wanted to add - being quoted $1100 - $1250 for Large Egg, Nest, ash tool, platesetter, grill grip, ash can, and charcoal.  
  • Kurrgo
    Options
    blasting said:
    Kurrgo said:

@Kurrgo   First off, Welcome to the forum! and congrats on your new egg.

Forgive me for messing with your plan, but maybe I can help save some $.

Grill Gripper - I've never needed one.  Buy a pair of welding gloves - they will serve many purposes

Ash Tool - A shop vac is soooo much easier, unless your purpose was to stir the lump, but any piece of metal will work for that.

Platesetter - I think CGS as mentioned above is a much better / versatile system
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/pages/adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg-introduction

Firestarters - some use them,  I think most use either paper towels soaked with oil, or even more common is some form of weed burner.

BGE Lump - Lots of lump out there, as well as opinions.  If it's BGE lump you want, then I'd buy Royal oak (same stuff).  A 15.44lb bag at home depot runs $12.88.  They just had a sale on for 7.88.  If it's not on sale I use Rockwood (Firecraft.com).  Without starting a lump war, I'll just say those are the two most common lumps discussed on the forum.

An instant read thermometer will change the way you cook, if you don't have one already.  Thermoworks makes the thermopop, and thermopen.
    Thanks for the welcome :)  You may have just saved me some cash.  I was planning on using the shop vac for the ashes.  

I appreciate all of the advice.  I do need to get a thermometer as well!
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Thermapen.....and a remote thermometer....but not a Maverick 
  • Kurrgo
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I don't mean to be contrary, but I'd urge you to hesitate on the Adjustable Rig. For one thing, there are two rather different versions of it, and which one will suit you better depends on what you like to cook the most, and your probably don't know that, yet.

Maybe wait on either a plate setter ("conveggtor") or an Adjustable Rig and cook a bunch of stuff direct, for a bit, and get used to the Egg, and keep reading on this forum about what people like about the Adjustable Rig, and what they use it for.  There are a whole bunch of people on this forum who love their ARs, and there are a whole bunch of people on this forum who are happy as clams without one.  It's not a trivial purchase.  Take some time.  Have a ball grilling stuff on your new Egg, and think some more about what sorts of things you'd like to smoke low-and-slow, and how often you'd want to do that, and for how many people you'd be wanting to cook.  And read up on it, both on the AR's site, and on this forum (lots of discussions -- search for "adjustable rig").
    I just picked up Meatheads book and I want to read through it.  I did want to pick up my BGE before this weekend so I can build and start working with it over the holiday weekend.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Welcome to the group, this is a great group of people are always willing to help. IMHO I would follow the advise @blasting sent earlier. First get a good instant read thermometer. The thermapen from thermoworks is the gold standard. I use a woo and a pizza stone from CGS for indirect & raised direct cooking on my XL (much more versatile than the plate setter). Good luck and enjoy your new egg!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I don't mean to be contrary, but I'd urge you to hesitate on the Adjustable Rig. For one thing, there are two rather different versions of it, and which one will suit you better depends on what you like to cook the most, and your probably don't know that, yet.

Maybe wait on either a plate setter ("conveggtor") or an Adjustable Rig and cook a bunch of stuff direct, for a bit, and get used to the Egg, and keep reading on this forum about what people like about the Adjustable Rig, and what they use it for.  There are a whole bunch of people on this forum who love their ARs, and there are a whole bunch of people on this forum who are happy as clams without one.  It's not a trivial purchase.  Take some time.  Have a ball grilling stuff on your new Egg, and think some more about what sorts of things you'd like to smoke low-and-slow, and how often you'd want to do that, and for how many people you'd be wanting to cook.  And read up on it, both on the AR's site, and on this forum (lots of discussions -- search for "adjustable rig").
    If I could "Agree" with this 100 times, I would.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Blasting is absolutely correct on the thermometer. Thermapen is the best tool you can buy with the egg in my opinion. Maybe see what they want just for the egg itself. I've bought 5 nests off Craigslist and the most I've ever paid was $50 used. Might be worth checking Craigslist or put a wanted ad for one. Dealer is going to charge $130 - $150 for the nest in the package 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    blasting said:

I have the Ash Tool- I use it 9 times out of 10 to get the ASH out.  Its a PIA for me to get the shop vac out and use it vs the ash tool.  However if some reason I get the shop vac out I always clean the egg out at same time.

2x a year I take the egg inner parts out, inspect, shop vac and reassemble.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Kurrgo said:

First off I want to say hello to the forum. This is my first post as my membership was just approved. I'm a new large BGE owner myself. Like you I was ready to jump into the accessory market from day one. Like others have mentioned, buy a good pair of welding gloves to handle to hot grates/rig. I didn't buy the ash tool or platesetter. I use a small shop vac with a drywall filter and I purchased the large R & B oval AR from CGS. I did lots of research on the Egg and rigs and determined that was what fit me best. I use Royal Oak as it's readily available in my area.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    The advice about the plate setter above is good if you get a large.  I have an XL and use my plate setter in concert with my AR on just about every indirect set-up.  The plate setter is a lot more useful in the XL.  For the large?  Meh.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Kurrgo
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Kurrgo said:

First off I want to say hello to the forum. This is my first post as my membership was just approved. I'm a new large BGE owner myself. Like you I was ready to jump into the accessory market from day one. Like others have mentioned, buy a good pair of welding gloves to handle to hot grates/rig. I didn't buy the ash tool or platesetter. I use a small shop vac with a drywall filter and I purchased the large R & B oval AR from CGS. I did lots of research on the Egg and rigs and determined that was what fit me best. I use Royal Oak as it's readily available in my area.

Welcome aboard!  You are in for a treat!  FYI I really like the Rockwood...if you decide to go that route buy 5 bags at a time to get free shipping (>$100) from Firecraft.  I've had my XL BGE for 3 years now and still debating whether to pull the trigger on the AR.  Making 2 20lb briskets this weekend could of used it.  But like the earlier comment depend on what size you currently have, how many you are cooking for and what type of cooking you prefer.  Personally if I did it over again I would of got the AR first.  But the only thing I struggle with is storing it when I'm not using since I like the cast iron grid for direct cooks.  Anyway you go you are in for a lot of fun and some great food.  Oh just an idea. I like to keep a diary on every cook so you remember how you did the Really good ones.  Enjoy!

Thanks for your thoughts.  Can you recommend a set of welding gloves and explain why they would be necessary?

Also - I don't have a preference for cast iron.  I truly want to do super long smokes to start so that's why I was going with the platesetter.  Would you use the plateseller in combination with the AR?

I like the idea of the diary.  I will definitely be doing that.

• Kurrgo
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Blasting is absolutely correct on the thermometer. Thermapen is the best tool you can buy with the egg in my opinion. Maybe see what they want just for the egg itself. I've bought 5 nests off Craigslist and the most I've ever paid was $50 used. Might be worth checking Craigslist or put a wanted ad for one. Dealer is going to charge $130 - $150 for the nest in the package 
    So you're doing the thermometer for meat or are you testing the temp of the grill itself?   
  • DoubleRay415
    Options

As a newbie egger myself, all the accessories are more eye candy than anything else.  As one suggested above, get use to cooking on the egg first before you plunge in on extras.  I wanted to cook at the felt line so I purchased some firebricks, then I realized that I didn't like taking bricks in and out, so I went with a PSwoo from the ceramicgrillstore. My egg came with a plate setter and the Woo utilizes it, so I went that route and you can also buy an extender to add another cooking level. 

If space is what you're concerned about, consider the size of your egg first and foremost.  I too recommend that a Thermapen should be your first purchase, you're cooking food not accessories.  =)

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Kurrgo said:
    WeberWho said:
    So you're doing the thermometer for meat or are you testing the temp of the grill itself?   
    The Thermapen is used to check the foods internal temperature. Expensive at first but it's pays for itself off in no time. When grilling it's important to cook to temp and not time. The Thermapen is fast and accurate. I use it almost every single cook.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I want to say welcome. If you have not yet bought the egg, I want you to take a very deep breath and then think carefully about size. If you are willing to spend 1200 you can own an XL. Which is infinitely more fun than a large. Now that means you can't have all the shiny toys to go with it at first, or maybe you can. But this also means you can get used to your egg, think about your outdoor cooking space--which might change as a result of an egg purchase and get accustomed to having neighbors bring over meat and beer. Personally I own only the plate setter in an XL. I use channel locks or gloves for a lid lifter and a 20 dollar weedburner. Buy the thermapen now ahead of time--non optional. Think about what is more important--real estate or accessories.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    blasting said:

I have the Ash Tool- I use it 9 times out of 10 to get the ASH out.  Its a PIA for me to get the shop vac out and use it vs the ash tool.  However if some reason I get the shop vac out I always clean the egg out at same time.

This is an interesting thread, it's good to see and learn how others do their daily tasks.  If I had to haul out a shop vac I'd feel the same way.  Mine is dedicated and plugged in at all times, so all I have to do is turn it on.

I take out the innards about every weeks compared to your every six months schedule.  How often do you use your egg?  Mine is in use 7 days a week.  It could be that I'm just overdoing the maintenance...
    Phoenix 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I clean mine out when I can't burrow a hole to let in any more air. I use a little ash Tool I made when it gets too full.  I use a broom handle to stir lump. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Be careful with a shop vac. Those coals can stay live for MUCH longer than you think. I just use the ash tool. I doubt I have vacuumed more than 3 times in nearly 7 years! And then only because I had it apart for some other reason.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    blasting said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    blasting said:

This is an interesting thread, it's good to see and learn how others do their daily tasks.  If I had to haul out a shop vac I'd feel the same way.  Mine is dedicated and plugged in at all times, so all I have to do is turn it on.

I take out the innards about every weeks compared to your every six months schedule.  How often do you use your egg?  Mine is in use 7 days a week.  It could be that I'm just overdoing the maintenance...
    I'm a home made ash tool guy, use it all the time. Stirs lump, lifts the setter out with the aid of some channel locks and it rakes the ash - my egg has never seen a vacuum. Key is to get one that will fit between the fire box and the base, maintain the air flow. Open the lower vent stick a catch can/pan under and pull out the ash. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  What follows are a few paragraphs that mirror the above and some with new info:  FWIW-

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for now.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.