Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips from the World Barbecue Cooking Championships in Memphis, TN

Options
bachelorporkchop
bachelorporkchop Posts: 3
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum

I have been smoking on an egg for about three years, had the opportunity to visit the World Barbecue Cooking Championships in Memphis, TN and thought I would share a few tips. 

Everyone I spoke with thought the magic smoker temperature was 225 degrees, even for some cuts I wasn’t expecting. Wrapping meat in foil or butcher paper is very common, and it ended up being more than just to control timing of serving. 

Pork Shoulder

This was the one that surprised me the most. I usually cook to 195 or 200 degrees to be able to pull it, but removing from heat at 178 degrees allows for the fat to render just enough to then seep into a pan while the shoulder is resting. The result is a succulent shoulder that is basting in delicious juices. I was invited to try it and the guy who gave me this tip was most proud of the fact that he had cooked $1.99/lb pork shoulder to this result. It was the best damn shoulder I have ever tasted. Another interesting tip was to smoke with beech wood for flavor and apple wood for color.  

Ribs

While I have heard of the 3-2-1 method I have been very happy with my ribs on the Green Egg and didn’t mess with what was working well. I also have the luxury of cooking 2-3 racks at a time, so I can pull them off when they hit 193 to 195 degrees with a great result. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, and when I was invited to try the results my perspective on wrapping ribs in foil during the cooking process and adding liquid such as apple juice to create steam shifted considerably. Previously, I believed steam would destroy the bark I had worked so hard for on my ribs. If I can reproduce the results that I tasted there will be nice bark, even moister meat, and cleaner separation from the bone.

Brisket

Trimming is everything. The best brisket has all fat that won’t render removed and is trimmed to at least 1 inch in height. The part that will be chopped versus sliced should be separated at 183 degrees so the flat won’t dry out. Everyone wraps their brisket – some in butcher paper and some in foil for at least 2 hours prior to serving after it comes off the smoker. The best brisket joints in the country wrap to distribute moisture and use butcher paper for its breathability and lower level of steam to maintain the beautiful bark they worked so hard for, and this is the approach I plan to take the next time I smoke a brisket. The closest I came to getting through the BBQ rub barrier was the advice to start the seasoning process with smoked sea salt and pepper and then applying the Brisket rub as a second step. Of course, Brisket rub should have much less brown sugar (or turbinado) than pork.

IMG_2358JPG

Chicken

In the past I had smoked at 350 to 400 degrees with the theory that the skin would be crispiest with this temperature. I was advised to stick to the magic 225 degree level, and increase the marinade time to 2 hours for a low acidity marinade and 1 hour for a higher acidity marinade.  

Steak

Clint Cantwell, who is Kingsford Charcoal’s Director of Smoke and Fire and Editor, was making some great cowboy ribeyes with a coffee rub using only indirect heat at about 400 degrees. The steaks were about an inch and a half thick. I had typically used a reverse sear (indirect heat first with very high heat for a nice crust) but these were some succulent steaks without the reverse sear.

Pork Belly

The Danish National Barbecue team was in attendance. While they were competing in the traditional US categories I really wanted to learn about traditional Danish Barbecue. After some pleasantries, we talked about Stegt flæsk which is essentially pork fat in parsley sauce. Pork Belly is cut to 1/3 of an inch, salted on both sides, and smoked until crisp at the magic 225 level (about 45 minutes) and finished with parsley and potatoes. I am particularly excited about this experiment. IMG_2346JPG

Thanks to The Grand Masters of Cooking Disasters, Pork Illustrated, The Danish National Barbecue Team, Central BBQ and Clint Cantwell in particular for the tips.

Bachelor Porkchop

bachelorporkchop.com

https://www.facebook.com/bachelorporkchop/

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Holy crap batman! I never had thought about wrapping my meat for a comp cook. If I'm coming off as a smart a$$ it's because I am being one. You are talking down to everyone here. Keep cooking and reading and learn something. Oh...should I be injecting the meat too?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Holy crap batman! I never had thought about wrapping my meat for a comp cook. If I'm coming off as a smart a$$ it's because I am being one. You are talking down to everyone here. Keep cooking and reading and learn something. Oh...should I be injecting the meat too?
    Uh...didn't seem like too terrible a post to me. From the looks of his site he has read, cooked and indeed learned a thing or two. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wow Larry. Cranky today. 

I thought it was good. I knew a lot of it but learned some stuff too. Thanks for posting it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thank you for sharing all of this information.  I didn't take it as talking down at all but just sharing what you learned.  I don't do competition cooking but the techniques definitely interest me. 

One that really piques my interest is pulling the butt pulled and rested at 178.  Was it pulled pork or chopped?  It doesn't seem like there would be any chance of pulling at that temp.  The last butts I did I chopped them due to time constraints and I really enjoyed it.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.  Keep sharing.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    BBQ in my neck of the woods isn't "pulled pork".  It's chopped or sliced.  They're pulled from the pits around 170-180°.  It's the way I do it myself.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wow.  @badinfluence - someone piss in your margarita this morning?  Lighten up Francis.

Intersting about pulling the shoulder at 178.  I'm skeptical, but may give it a whirl...can always chop if it won't pull.

@bachelorporkchop - don't let one bad influence spoil the whole barrel of monkeys, or something like that.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Wow.  @badinfluence - someone piss in your margarita this morning?  Lighten up Francis.

Intersting about pulling the shoulder at 178.  I'm skeptical, but may give it a whirl...can always chop if it won't pull.

@bachelorporkchop - don't let one bad influence spoil the whole barrel of monkeys, or something like that.
    Yeah, he didn't say the method of serving.  I'm thinking it was coarse chopped or sliced.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Thanks for the insights above.  Always looking for some additional variables to toss into the equation.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome aboard and continue to enjoy the journey.  Thanks for the insights above.  Always looking for some additional variables to toss into the equation.

Speak for yourself @lousubcap.  I'm looking for the magic 3 line recipe that simplifies things.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I was very impressed with all of the team setups. There is no telling how much money was spent throughout this event.  A lot of these two story party decks has full bars, their own DJs and private security.  

My MIM experience was remarkable and I cannot wait for next year. 

Check out this setup from one of the Canadian teams. Yes, those are waterfalls at the entrance.  
  • clemsontyger97
    Options
    I just want to know what brand of lump they prefer   ;)
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    BBQ in my neck of the woods isn't "pulled pork".  It's chopped or sliced.  They're pulled from the pits around 170-180°.  It's the way I do it myself.  
    Yeah this is spot on. I had tried chopping pork that was cooked to 200 and it turns out mush. Chopped at 180 is a whole different thing that is awesome.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I liked the post. Always good to learn from anyone that knows more about something than I do - like @nolaegghead
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Grillin_G_Ma
    Grillin_G_Ma Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to share what you learned. 
  • bachelorporkchop
    bachelorporkchop Posts: 3
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SmokeyPitt  yes, it was chopped but the rendered fat made it almost pullable

clemsontyger97  lots of Royal Oak, and then one-offs I haven't seen before

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Lit said:
    Yeah this is spot on. I had tried chopping pork that was cooked to 200 and it turns out mush. Chopped at 180 is a whole different thing that is awesome.
    @Lit another great tip is to cook a but and a picnic.  Pull the picnic around 170° and mix with the butt.  You'll get more white lean in your mix.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Thanks@bachelorporkchop, great post, I learned quite a bit! Keep the info coming.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I live in southern VA, not far from NC.  Most of the local joints have eastern Carolina influences.  I typically prefer chopped on a sammich and pulled when eating straight up.  Just my two cents.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    I live in southern VA, not far from NC.  Most of the local joints have eastern Carolina influences.  I typically prefer chopped on a sammich and pulled when eating straight up.  Just my two cents.
    I like it pulled, but when you pull in the 170°s, you cannot pull.  Maybe a little at some parts, but not much.  

My favorite is coarse chopped mostly white lean.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I just want to know what brand of lump they prefer   ;)
    Well it is Friday...so I'm sure its Cowboy lol!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Somebody started drinking early/heavy this Friday.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I was very impressed with all of the team setups. There is no telling how much money was spent throughout this event.  A lot of these two story party decks has full bars, their own DJs and private security.  

My MIM experience was remarkable and I cannot wait for next year. 

Check out this setup from one of the Canadian teams. Yes, those are waterfalls at the entrance.  
    I'm so proud.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Ok. I'm gonna apologize for being rude. I was off my meds. Back on them again. Not an excuse, but I do apologize.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa