Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My brother (CLT) sent me this picture yesterday......for you nature lovers....

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
...They had put up an owl house in their backyard last fall. They not only had owls move in.....but now have a little one. Right cool if you ask me. 
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow
Owl.jpg 392.1K

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Definitely cool.
    What flavor owl is that?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've always been fascinated by owls.  Very cool.....thanks for sharing!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Now I want an owl house. 
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    Awesome! I'd love to attract owls. Going to Google that...
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Now I want an owl house. 
    Me too! There's one in the woods behind the house, but I can never find it.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Love it!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    @theyolksonyou, we'll get Robin to make us two and insist him coming to our house and installing them.  

He'll do it.. Just ask.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Time and Temp?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @theyolksonyou, we'll get Robin to make us two and insist him coming to our house and installing them.  

He'll do it.. Just ask.  
    He probably would. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i like the owls, dog seems to enjoy the scat =)  seen a giant snowy a few weeks back, thats 3 in my lifetime.
    Now I want an owl house. 
    look for where it roosts, the scat is hairy pellets and bones
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    Options
    i like the owls, dog seems to enjoy the scat =)  seen a giant snowy a few weeks back, thats 3 in my lifetime.
    Now I want an owl house. 
    They actually regurgitate the pellet.  Their scat is like thick urine.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Had an owl in our shed, it was a screech owl. That bird would screech, non stop, all night long, very, very loud. It was so bad our neighbors (closest one over 75 meters away) complained about the noise so much the homeowners association drafted a letter and sent it to us to have it removed. We did. 1 week and a thousand bucks later. It was back.
    Be careful what you wish for. 
    That is a very cool image.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i like the owls, dog seems to enjoy the scat =)  seen a giant sno =) wy a few weeks back, thats 3 in my lifetime.
    Now I want an owl house. 
    it looks alot like scat but its really a small pile of furballs with bones regurgitated.  we get the big greys around here, really easy to find. i dont see many of the small owls
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    We have some woods in the back, I hear an owl nearly every night when the windows are open in the Spring and Fall.
    Keeps the mouse/vole population in check, I love owls and hawks - raptors are always welcome here.

Looks like a juvenile barred owl - the yellow beak means it's not a horned owl.

If it is a barred owl, this is not off topic, because the call is often referred to as:

"Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you?"
    http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/43/Barred_Owls/#_ga=1.58936365.1243455774.1462892016

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    The owl scene from My Cousin Vinny.

http://youtu.be/A4mogrWHTS4
    Flint, Michigan
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

He'll do it.. Just ask.  
    He probably would. 
    You'll probably have to take a dog from him...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    Options
    i like the owls, dog seems to enjoy the scat =)  seen a giant sno =) wy a few weeks back, thats 3 in my lifetime.
    Now I want an owl house. 
    it looks alot like scat but its really a small pile of furballs with bones regurgitated.  we get the big greys around here, really easy to find. i dont see many of the small owls
    We have a great horned owl that nests behind my parents house.  The kids and I gather the pellets (when we find them) and dig through to see what it's been eating.  Really cool stuff.  
    I was watching a squirrel play under my deer stand one morning and a owl buzzed my head and swooped down to snatch up the squirrel.  Amazing that something that big is silent when it flies.  I've been hooked ever since.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Adult barred owl at the western Carolina nature center. 

@GATraveller I got buzzed by an owl while walking through the resort we were staying in at Disney. The silence is amazing. 
  • northGAcock
    edited May 2016
    Options

He'll do it.. Just ask.  
    You guys have a much better chance of my building one than installing. By owl requirements (not sure Hoo captured those) they have to be attached way high up in a tree. You ain't getting me up that ladder. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Awesome picture.  I put a bird feeder outside my bed room window this spring and have had all kinds of birds eating from it.  My 11 month old daughter loves watching them.  I will be getting a few more this summer.

Owls are great, but if you have cats or small dogs be careful.  They will not hesitate to make your pets disappear.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• northGAcock
    Options
    bgebrent said:

He'll do it.. Just ask.  
    He probably would. 

bgebrent said:

He'll do it.. Just ask.  
    He probably would. 
    She is real sweet.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Is she licking shoe remains from her lip?  Nice collar. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Is she licking shoe remains from her lip?  Nice collar. 
    Insert anything for the word "shoe" and it could be a true statement. 

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    @northGAcock, that is extremely cool. About how high up in the tree was it installed? I hear owls in the woods behind my house all the time and wouldn't mind a few more to help with my rabbit problem in the garden; especially since it looks like I can't get a mountain lion. I was in Minnesota in the Northern tier with some Scouts for a week. We were canoeing, fishing, camping. I was up one morning early fishing and was buzzed by a female bald eagle. It was really an awesome experience; especially being in such a remote place, basically cohabitating in their environment. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • northGAcock
    Options
    @northGAcock, that is extremely cool. About how high up in the tree was it installed? I hear owls in the woods behind my house all the time and wouldn't mind a few more to help with my rabbit problem in the garden; especially since it looks like I can't get a mountain lion. I was in Minnesota in the Northern tier with some Scouts for a week. We were canoeing, fishing, camping. I was up one morning early fishing and was buzzed by a female bald eagle. It was really an awesome experience; especially being in such a remote place, basically cohabitation in their environment. 
    @NC_Egghead     Let me ask my brother. I recall the conversation about 9 months ago.... but don't quite remember the height. He lives in Charlotte just off of Providence near Cotswald. I am sure he would be glad to show it to you if interested. I'll get back to you on the height. I am headed your way tomorrow to help my son move (actually rent the truck and drive it....while supervising the actual work). I should get by my brothers house and see him while in the neighborhood. 

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    I had an Owl family living in a tree in my old house. one of the owls were huge biggest I had ever seen. Great picture.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Options
    @northGAcock, that is extremely cool. About how high up in the tree was it installed? I hear owls in the woods behind my house all the time and wouldn't mind a few more to help with my rabbit problem in the garden; especially since it looks like I can't get a mountain lion. I was in Minnesota in the Northern tier with some Scouts for a week. We were canoeing, fishing, camping. I was up one morning early fishing and was buzzed by a female bald eagle. It was really an awesome experience; especially being in such a remote place, basically cohabitation in their environment. 
    @NC_Egghead     Let me ask my brother. I recall the conversation about 9 months ago.... but don't quite remember the height. He lives in Charlotte just off of Providence near Cotswald. I am sure he would be glad to show it to you if interested. I'll get back to you on the height. I am headed your way tomorrow to help my son move (actually rent the truck and drive it....while supervising the actual work). I should get by my brothers house and see him while in the neighborhood. 
    Thanks! Good luck with the move, er, supervision. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle