Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC coolers

Options
Anyone know the story on these coolers?  I'd recently heard that they were tied up in a class-action lawsuit with YETI and that everything is backordered until it's settled.
LBGE, Paris, KY.

Comments

• stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    Never heard of them.
    Birmingham, AL
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    I just got an email that mine will be here on Monday.  I ordered it in January.  For some reason I'm pretty excited to final get it.
    Edina, MN

• rockymountaineggster
    Options
    Not sure about the litigation part but I just ordered 3 items from them, 6 minutes later got a second email saying it shipped and provided tracking info.
    Parker, Colorado
  • Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    Options
    @hashissmokin I've had mine for about 5 months now.  Very well built.  I would say on par with the Yeti.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Search the forum. Lot's of informative/entertaining discussion about these excellent coolers.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have a 65 from both Yeti, and RTIC.  The RTIC is a true 65, so larger and heaver with more space.  It does not come with a basket and I have not been able to find a divider for it (will make one).  Equal quality in my opinion.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Not sure about the litigation part but I just ordered 3 items from them, 6 minutes later got a second email saying it shipped and provided tracking info.
    What sizes did you order?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Anyone know the story on these coolers?  I'd recently heard that they were tied up in a class-action lawsuit with YETI and that everything is backordered until it's settled.
    I know the story very well. I will give you a very brief summation. Yeti immediately files a lawsuit against any new manufacturer of rotomolded coolers. This is absolute fact and something that you can research for yourself if you think that I am making it up. I assure you that I am not. It's part of their business model. Sue early, and sue often. 
    With that said and aside, RTIC agreed to change the design of their latches to appease Yeti. The suit has been over for many months and the RTIC machine is now turning out coolers in record numbers. Not to worry my friend, RTIC is here to stay. I have 6 of their coolers and they are simply spectacular.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• rockymountaineggster
    Options
    feef706 said:
    What sizes did you order?

I ordered a bunch of drinkwear, a 30 Oz, lowball and colster
    Parker, Colorado
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @SGH

No baskets or dividers - can you confirm this?  Kind of a deal breaker.
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Not sure if they will work, but the 1/3 and 1/4 Winco SS reg and deep rectangular prep/condiment pans fit the Pelicans perfect.  Much cheaper than the Pelican rack at over $50.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    The suit is ongoing.  Get while the getting is good.  You never know.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Focker said:
    Not sure if they will work, but the 1/3 and 1/4 Winco SS reg and deep rectangular prep/condiment pans fit the Pelicans perfect.  Much cheaper than the Pelican rack at over $50.  
    I have a basket for my Pelican 45 and it will NOT fit my RTIC 65 or RTIC 45.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    At the butt blast tonight, brought my yeti for the bourbon slushies, and an Artic, same size was there. No difference but the price. Great cooler.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    First road trip with mine this weekend.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TheRainMan
    Options
    I ordered in October (20L) and received it last week. So they seem to be shipping...

Impressed with the build quality
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    Options
    I have the 20, love it, my first roto-molded cooler. The first 20 I received, the feet were un-even and rocked, drove me crazy. Fortunately, I didn't have to wait 5 months for the replacement. They sent a new one. Had approximately 15 pounds of ice for 6 days, kept my beers cold. Left the cooler on the back patio, in the elements. Plan on ordering a 45 or 65.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Ordered the 65 last August.  It arrived in january.  Used it twice and taking it to mountains in two weeks.  Very happy with it
  • Jhwilkin
    Jhwilkin Posts: 22
    Options
    I've got a 20 and have had it since November. Works absolutely great. I took the rtic stickers off of it and nobody believes  me it's not a yeti
    Concord, NC-LBGE
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    I have an RTIC 20 and love it. Ordered it last summer and got it right before Christmas.  Half the price and holds more ice!
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    blasting said:
    @SGH

I have three yetis baskets and have never used them
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Cm23 said:
    blasting said:
    @SGH

I have three yetis baskets and have never used them
    I use the basket all the time. The basket in the 50 yeti fits a half pan so I can bring sides and not worry about ice melting and getting in them. The basket is great for anything you don't want water to get in. I heard RTIC is popular in the gay community. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    @Lit , too bad more forum subscribers aren't engaged with the roto-molded cooler "who's --ck is bigger" campaign or you would have a true feeding frenzy.  
    But it's Sat PM and the brown water is flowing.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Lit , too bad more forum subscribers aren't engaged with the roto-molded cooler "who's --ck is bigger" campaign or you would have a true feeding frenzy.  
    But it's Sat PM and the brown water is flowing.  
    I'm just saying I tried to order one and the response I got is would you eat this bread stick. I passed.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I use my baskets regularly.  And, I don't need extra ice. Last for days.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    blasting said:
    @SGH

@blasting
    As of right now, RTIC does not offer any baskets or dividers that I know of. However they will in the future. This is just me thinking out loud as I have not confirmed it, but the baskets/dividers out  of any true to size coolers should work. Examples: Orca, Grizzly/Bison, K2 etc etc. Yeti accessories will not work with the RTIC coolers because the Yeti line is not true to the stated capacity. Again, I haven't confirmed that the others will work with the RTIC coolers. But I have a hunch that they will. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I have the 20 and a 45 coolers. They work great. Also have a 30 oz glass. Works the same my Yeti 30 oz.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I am trying to mod a divider for the 65.  I made a template out of cardboard.  It is 13" wide at the top, 12" wide at the bottom and 12" tall.  I am thinking maybe I can use a cutting board or something.  Any suggestions?

So, in addition, any "basket" will need to be 13" wide at the top...  Still searching.  I might mod my Yeti basket to help it fit...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I got 3 sizes of Rtic cooler.  I think they are well built and great coolers.  See no reason to buy a Yeti when I can get a well built product for half the price.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    smbishop said:
    I am trying to mod a divider for the 65.  I made a template out of cardboard.  It is 13" wide at the top, 12" wide at the bottom and 12" tall.  I am thinking maybe I can use a cutting board or something.  Any suggestions?

So, in addition, any "basket" will need to be 13" wide at the top...  Still searching.  I might mod my Yeti basket to help it fit...
    If you can get food grade plastic storage containers i think you will be in business.  Lem meat lug comes to mind.    A cutting board might be a bit rigid and i am thinking something with a little flex that can be wedged in there snug but not so tight it damages the inner walls