Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who needs to spatchcock, when you could get this...

Options

Comments

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    I didn't try Spam until after I was married, and I thought that was the most disgusting meat I've ever seen come out of a can.

Until I saw the video above, that is. Holy God in Heaven. WHY IS THAT "BROTH" SO GELATINOUS? 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    Reviews on Amazon from folks that actually seem to use these are rather favorable:

I frequently make a dip that includes canned salmon. Not too many years ago when you opened the can it appeared that they just gutted and beheaded the fish and crammed it into the can. You would have to pick thru the bits to remove chunks of spine and other inedible bits. Very messy. Nowadays, the salmon in a pouch is just like packaged tuna - it's clean and just the meaty flesh.

Easier to use but doesn't seem as tasty as the old way.

Question - if you had to choose one of these items to eat which wold it be, whole canned chicken or a balut?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    XC242 said:
    How do they get the chicken to climb in the can??
    Pressure.  Pressure and time.
    Like this?

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @HeavyG.

Question - if you had to choose one of these items to eat which wold it be, whole canned chicken or a balut?
    A canned chicken for sure.  No way would I eat a partially developed chicken from an egg with feathers and (soft) bones. 
    I prefer my baby chickens like this:

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    lewisj82 said:
    I didn't try Spam until after I was married, and I thought that was the most disgusting meat I've ever seen come out of a can.

Until I saw the video above, that is. Holy God in Heaven. WHY IS THAT "BROTH" SO GELATINOUS? 
    Ya know, people go to great lengths to make their chicken stock as gelatinous as they can get it.  Some people swear by using chicken feet.  My preference is to just use a whole lot of bones.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I agree with Sea2ski, I would take the canned chicken over balut.  Not that I'm rushing out to buy one, but I bet it would taste something like a typical can of chicken noodle soup.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    Im gonna get me some of that and use the liquid to inject my next chicken smoke!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I'd still rather eat that than a McNugget or some other super processed chicken type food that's at a fast food establishment or the freezer aisle of a grocery store

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Yummy

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Acn said:
    I'd still rather eat that than a McNugget or some other super processed chicken type food that's at a fast food establishment or the freezer aisle of a grocery store
    It doesn't LOOK like you have a point, but I found the label. You win. =)

But I still won't be eating any. Then again, I don't eat fast food chicken either.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    I think I'd rather have 40 year old C-Rats!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Reminds me of the C-Rat, Ham And Limas or better known as "Ham And Mother F#ckers" back in 1969. When we would get resupplied cases of C-rats were opened upside down so you did'nt know what you were picking because NO one wanted that ,like that gelatinous glop "Chicken in a Can" .We did have something similar,Chicken in a C-Rat but it resembled Chunk Tuna in a can  . Ate it ,but then that was any port in a storm situation.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Wow. I thought i seen it all and then whole chicken in a can opens up my world to crazy possibilities.     Absolutely unreal
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Years ago I would take CANNED BACON with me backpacking.   Packed in Hungary or some such, it needed cooking and was LADEN with salt and God only knows what else.   But it was fine.   
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    1350 calories and 2250 grams of sodium

they should just relabel it canned salt
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    @caliking - I think canned chicken would be great for the Space City EggFest.

I will call my guy and see if we can get heritage breed, pasture raised, organic canned chicken.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Remember  pictures of y'all eating this or it didn't happen!! 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @Eggscuses No pictures here
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    tonyled said:
    1350 calories and 2250 grams of sodium

they should just relabel it canned salt
    That's for the whole bird though. Per 2 oz serving, it's 90 calories and 150 mg of sodium (mg, not grams). Recommended healthy serving size for meats, chicken and fish is 4 oz so that's still only 180 calories and 300 mg sodium. Not great for sodium, but not horrible. Check the sodium in a can of soup sometime. Or ham!

Still, I wouldn't touch it with your fork! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggscuses
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I wouldnt touch it with my fork either! ! ( insert throw up smiley here )
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Aw, you folks are way too squeamish. Lots of great food items come in cans!

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i would eat that, has to be better than all those gel packed danish canned hams i ate growing up =)  for those that wanted the giblets

Friskies Wet Cat Food Classic Pate Turkey  Giblets Dinner 55-Ounce Can Pack of 24

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggscuses
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Aw, you folks are way too squeamish. Lots of great food items come in cans!

The chicken says only "Home style goodness"
    Where as yours says " A real taste treat"
    BIG DIFFERENCE
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2016
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    now im getting hungry and homesick

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    There are antibiotics for that problem...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    caliking said:
    There are antibiotics for that problem...
    Yeah, not sure the microwave is something you'd want to use for that. Might be a little painful trying to get the door shut...
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Ya know, people go to great lengths to make their chicken stock as gelatinous as they can get it.  Some people swear by using chicken feet.  My preference is to just use a whole lot of bones.
    I make home-made chicken stock on occasion, using AB's recipe/method.  After chilling my first batch (to lift off the fat) it kinda freaked me out to see the whole stockpot gelatinized.  
    But, the soup I made with it was life-changing.  
    Still not sure I'd buy "chicken-in-a-can", but the next 3+ hour movie on netflix, mebbe give me one with a fork... 

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Won't be buying this either:

Had this all the time in Jamaica when I lived there. It's just chicken soup. But I know this spoils the fun of this thread ... :)
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    Options
    Since we're cleaning out our pantries...

Super versatile too. Can be used as a side OR main course!

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby