Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Post - Frequency of Cracks in Ceramic?

Options
Hi there,

I am very enthusiastic about joining this forum. I have consulted it frequently "from the outside" via simple Google searches before finally becoming a member (today!). Thanks to all for your contributions to the body of knowledge on the Egg; it has been extremely informative. 

I have a specific question regarding how commonplace cracks in the ceramic are. Apologies if this topic has been covered via previous posts. I attempted to use the search function within the forum but it was not functioning for me, so I wasn't able to obtain any results. I have, however, Googled the topic in conjunction with "eggheadforum.com" with limited success, but, as mentioned, I am new to the forum and am therefore unaware as to whether some posts may be barred from public view via this method.

I have read a few anecdotal experiences of BGE owners who have had cracks in the ceramic - these mostly in the firebox and seemingly most common in the previous iteration of the firebox predating the small seam (to allow for expansion and contraction). It appears that these cracks are fairly commonplace, with some members having gone through numerous fireboxes, fire rings, or even domes or bases. 

In contrast, I seem to recall seeing BGE literature implying that cracks would only appear to occur in Eggceptional (my apologies; I couldn't resist) circumstances. Therefore, I wanted to ask whether cracks in one form or another are an eventuality of every Egg's life, or whether this is a relatively rare phenomenon that befalls only a small proportion of Egg owners (my hope being that it is the latter). 

I ask because, as implied in the paragraph above, I own an "adopted" Egg and am likely to acquire another one tomorrow. I don't have regrets with respect to my decision to buy used, as I was able to obtain both of them at prices hovering near the 50% mark of their selling prices (which therefore allows me to withstand the replacement of several fire boxes, fire rings, or God forbid, maybe even a few domes or a base) before approximating the cost of a new Egg with warranty. 

To be clear, I am not asking about the merits of a warranty on the Egg (as I do not doubt that they are of immense value and are of course better than the alternative). Rather, I am curious about the frequency with which an Egg owners actually need to make use of that warranty. Is every Egg due to become a Humpty-Dumpty at some point?

Would appreciate your valuable insights. 

I look forward to learning as well as to contributing. 

Thanks. 

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Dome's and base's don't fail often, I did crack a base when my large BGE had a fire get away from me. The fire was over 1500 Degrees I think. So hot that the wood structure under the egg caught fire. The lower egg cracked at a defect in the casting. 
    The fire boxes crack more frequently. I haven't had one crack since they started cutting and expansion joint in them. This allows for expansion of the fire grate without cracking the fire box.
    I've owned BGE's for around 20 years. 
    Other have different experiences. Some worse.....some better.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback Greg. This is reassuring.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I haven't owned one long enough to speak.  Mine however in the 2 1/2 years haven't cracked at all.

Typically I see here some people with firebox cracks that they get covered fast by the warranty.  I don't see many people with base or dome cracks though.

Post some pics of your new egg when you get it all set up!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Cracks in the domes and bases seem to be pretty rare.

Cracks in the fire bowl and ring seem to be I wouldn't say normal but rather not uncommon. Cracks in a fire bowl or ring do not necessarily mean that it has to be immediately replaced. Usually a crack has no impact on how well the fire bowl/ring functions. It's only when it falls completely apart that it necessitates replacement. I've had a crack in one of my fire bowls for over a year and have not yet bothered to get a replacement.

The BGE warranty is worth the money but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Egg at at least a 50% discount.

Good luck.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    On my XL I have had the base replaced twice, firebox once, firering twice, plate setter twice, all under warranty. My current XL platesetter has a crack and so does my Small firebox, need to get them swapped at some point.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks a lot. Will do. The kicker is that the large I am picking up tomorrow comes with a custom cedar table. A lucky find!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks all. DMW - Sounds like you have had bad luck. I believe it may have been some of your anecdotes that scared me!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Thanks a lot. Will do. The kicker is that the large I am picking up tomorrow comes with a custom cedar table. A lucky find!
    Ohhh.  I bet it's going to be nice.  keep us updated

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I am located in Canada, where a Large Egg outfitted with a few Eggcessories will often push you to $1850 or so (and where the spirits we so enjoy imbibing while grilling are priced commensurately!).
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I've had a large since 2001.  Recently, my base developed a small crack across the bottom and up the side.  I'll check with the dealer to see if they will replace it as they have changed owners 4x since my purchase.  Fire box has been cracked for years but still works.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Careful w. the transport. Domes can go out of line when an assembled Egg is moved, and of course, shocks during transport are not a good thing.

cracked fire rings seem to be the most common fault, but there is almost no problem w. that. There are quite a few cracked fireboxes, but I used one for 3 - 4 years before needing a warranty replacement. S'pose I could have used JB-Weld to fix it. Dome cracks seem to be pretty rare. Small cracks in the bottom are a little more common, but complete failure seems to be from letting water pool in the bottom, and then freeze.

Every now and then, someone knocks an Egg over, and it is Humpty Dumpty.

Minor chips in the outer glaze are not unusual, but no prob. Every now and then, a grease soaked Egg will weep black fluid all over. Again, no real problem. Just needs a bath after.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks gdenby. Might there be any practical advice you could offer with respect to avoiding shock during transportation? I had intended to move it with dome, base and internals separated in my car, but due to the cedar table, I will be making use of a large cube van and am therefore worried about the potential for the Egg to get "scrambled".
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, whereabouts in Canada do you reside?

I have had a crack form across the bottom of my large due to a high heat burn off once, and I have also had a fire ring crack on my large.  All in all, with three eggs used quite heavily in this home, I feel the issue is minimal and BGE has always replaced the part for me in a timely manner so its of no worry to me. 

Happy Eggin
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

You can take the guts out and put them in the cab.  For the dome and base, I would just ensure it's strapped down so it can't slam on itself.  It will be fine.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The firebox and fire ring get put under a lot more heat stress than the base or dome.   They do fail more often.  I had all mine crack but used them for quite awhile without any problems.  I replaced the firebox because having it in several pieces made cleaning more of a problem.  I still use the broken fire ring.  The broken fire grate was problem and would shift and let coals fall into the fire pit.  I replaced it as well.

Always remember that anecdotal experiences can really skew perceptions of how common a problem actually is. People with problems show up on forums like this asking for advice and/or venting.  People without problems don't.  

I got a used egg, so I am running without a warranty as well. Not sure, but my egg is probably over 10 years old.  One firebox replacement in that time is not bad.  

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    2 types of Ceramic cookers out there. Cracked ceramic cookers and Ceramic cookers that are going to crack. I have replaced a dome and plate setter in two years on my XL. Lifetime warranty is what I bought the BGE for and it has been worth it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Thanks gdenby. Might there be any practical advice you could offer with respect to avoiding shock during transportation? I had intended to move it with dome, base and internals separated in my car, but due to the cedar table, I will be making use of a large cube van and am therefore worried about the potential for the Egg to get "scrambled".

When Items shift during transport, they are most likely slide forward during stops. Up and down jostles are then next biggest hazard.

I'd have to see the table, and the inside of the cube van to be specific. Overall, try to pack the items against the front wall of the cube. Table followed by Egg parts. I suggest flipping the table over, and place it on top of a blanket or some other kind of pad. Secure it in some fashion. Ropes, straps, cross bars all would work. Place a flat barrier between it and the Egg parts. Folded flat cardboard boxes would work.

If you have boxes that are big enough, put the Egg parts in them, broad side down, and fill the boxes w. padding. Towels, rags, lots of wadded paper. The boxes can then be tied down, and perhaps bundled w. the table. Without boxes, or some structure, swath the Egg parts in blankets, and tape the bundles up. Again, try to find a way to tie down the bundles. Or surround the bundles w. something rather soft but heavy. More blankets, or bundles of books or magazines to keep them from shifting

If you are not traveling far, and/or going over bumpy roads, what I described is probably more than what will be necessary. But highway travel and going over railroad tracks can be a big problem w/o secure packing.

I worked as a preparator at an art museum for 40 years. Worse case scenario for transporting heavy ceramics, get lots of hay bales. Between the bales and loose straw, and a couple of ropes, even the back of a pickup can be safe.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks again all. One thing that hasn't been clear to me - are ceramic items purchased from an authorized dealer independent of the Egg itself also covered by lifetime warranty (i.e., would a place setter or pizza stone purchased in the months following the purchase of an Egg, or for that matter, even simultaneously with the purchase of an Egg covered by warranty also be subject to warranty coverage)? Similarly, would a replacement firebox purchased at an authorized dealer to replace a cracked non-warranty firebox then ultimately be covered by warranty against future breakage? 

Also, has anyone ever received warranty coverage on non-dealer Eggs (which is a phenomenon some used Egg-sellers have indicated happens with some regularity)? I'm not asking if anyone has had luck in "pulling one over" on dealers (which I would not myself attempt and nor infer that anyone else would try), but rather inquiring as to whether there has been latitude demonstrated by some dealers with respect to the application of warranty, as some Egg owners have previously indicated is sometimes the case.

Also, my readings of past postings - mostly anecdotes - about warranty have (perhaps erroneously) led me to two potential conclusions about potential claim outcomes:
    (i) in the event of a warranty claim, the client is generally required to pay for shipping necessitated to obtain the replacement part (if not combined with a dealer's regular delivery, which isn't always timely or convenient for the client); and
    (ii) there can be some inconvenience in trying to obtain a warranty part at a dealer other than that from which the Egg was originally purchased.
    If true, the first point would be of some concern to me because the shipping costs would serve to negate some of the purported savings of the warranty (in the sense that if I buy a part outright from the dealer, the shipping costs are already presumably built into the price of the product, whereas I think the tendency of obtaining a warranty part may be to assume that the entire price of the part itself has been avoided) and the second point would be of concern to me because it implies that a warranty's life or effectiveness can partly be defined by the lifespan of the dealer from which the associated product was purchased.

Again, just thinking aloud and not questioning the warranty in the least (as I recognize that it is a huge asset likely to offer both savings and peace of mind, and I would certianly avail myself of this option if money was no object) - just trying to get a read of how claims work in practical application as I contemplate the potential savings of buying a used Egg against the benefits of full warranty.

Sorry if all my questions are making your heads Eggsplode. (...and I promise I'll get these Egg puns out of my system.... eventually). 

Monty77 - I'm in Ottawa. Are you a fellow Canuck?
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I had my fire box replaced last year; owned it for about 8-9 years. It first cracked about 4 years ago and finally a chunk broke off. I now have the new style and only time will tell if it resolves the issue.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations. Not all of the ceramics in the egg have a lifetime warranty.  Firebox and fire ring have more limited warranties.  Platesetters a few pizza stones have more limited warranties as well.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    • Warranty on Big Green Egg Components: Click here for details
      • Ceramic components, including dome, base, fire box and fire ring – Limited Lifetime Warranty to original purchaser from Authorized Dealer
      • Ceramic EGGcessories, including ConvEGGtor and Pizza/Baking Stones – 3 Year Warranty
      • Metal Components, including EGG band, stainless steel cooking grid, cast iron charcoal grate and EGG Nest – 5 Year Warranty
      • Temperature Gauge – 1 Year Warranty

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    • Warranty on Big Green Egg Components: Click here for details
      • Ceramic components, including dome, base, fire box and fire ring – Limited Lifetime Warranty to original purchaser from Authorized Dealer
      • Ceramic EGGcessories, including ConvEGGtor and Pizza/Baking Stones – 3 Year Warranty
      • Metal Components, including EGG band, stainless steel cooking grid, cast iron charcoal grate and EGG Nest – 5 Year Warranty
      • Temperature Gauge – 1 Year Warranty

Thanks. So how are they defining "limited" under the "ceramic components " bullet. Does this include a limit to how many times they will replace?
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    You'll have to get the lawyers to define "limited."

I've not heard of anyone being denied replacement parts under the limited portion ... from excessive replacements or not.  Think that's simply an escape clause if the customer has an unreasonable request/demand/situation. 

Kamado Joe also has a "Limited Lifetime Warranty on Ceramic Parts", thus I'm not scared off by the inclusion of that word.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I think you can greatly reduce the odds of cracking an egg if you refrain from doing  the highly unnecessary " clean burns". 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I think you can greatly reduce the odds of cracking an egg if you refrain from doing  the highly unnecessary " clean burns". 
    Yes, and avoid pouring any liquid inside to cool it off. I've heard of someone doing that. Temp shock is not good for the egg.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    We purchased our XL in 06 or so. Base cracked in 2015. Within 5 months the replacement base also cracked. Same thing on the firebox. Fire ring just cracked when the replacement base and box cracked. But with the warranty it is not a problem....as long as your local dealer doesn't drop the ball on ordering your stuff. 
  • dougcrann
    Options
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Our replacement base never seen over 450* and it still cracked. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Again, thanks all.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    These technical questions you may want to direct to a dealer. 

I would *think* if you bought an egg with no warranty, but replaced a few parts with parts bought at a dealer those parts would be covered under the warranty for the future. I am not 100% sure though.