Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firecraft's response to the Rockwood condition and my answer.

Options
Firecraft offered me a refund.

I replied that people have suggested that I use it before judging it based on the piece size, and I said that I think that is only fair. And as long as Firecraft doesn't mind that I probably won't have a chance to cook for a couple weeks, then I'd rather try the product.

The easiest solution for both of us would be that I am wrong. I'm not afraid to be wrong. I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again, it's not that big a deal. And I don't want a refund that I would get through pure pique, without merit. 

So, if you're interested, I'll post about it again after the coal burns in the BGE.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mosca said:
    Firecraft offered me a refund.

Good folks^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So, if you're interested, I'll post about it again after the coal burns in the BGE.

I really would like to hear your opinion after you try it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    My favorite part about rock wood is I never get any sparks. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Fuzzbutt
    Fuzzbutt Posts: 9
    Options
    Just placed my first order for Rockwood from Firecraft as well. Interested to see what the hubbub is about.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    just got my 5 bags of rockwwod delievered following ordering from Firecraft....second time I have ordered from them...this time the shipping containers came in to me perfect with no dust residue in the boxes and no damage from shipping....much better than the first go round...Firecraft - you have a very happy customer here and keep on keeping on!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Based on what I have seen, it should be fine....  On another note, I just purchased a bag of a special blend made by Basques for a local BBQ chain.  I think you would have liked it; only large and medium pieces, almost no dust.

edited March 2016
    Options
    @paqman - rubbing it again, thanks ;)
    @Mosca- thanks for the follow-up.  I don't think you will have any issues with it.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I want rockwood in Tampa.  I'm down to my last half bag of Fogo from a long ago great pic up at great price on Amazon.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    My favorite part about rock wood is I never get any sparks. 
    I get sparks occasionally from RW.  Still get it by the pallet from my dealer ;)
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I want rockwood in Tampa.  I'm down to my last half bag of Fogo from a long ago great pic up at great price on Amazon.

Just go over to your local Ace and order SKU# 8400772.  Any dealer in FL can get it within a few days from their regional warehouse (yours happens to be in Tampa.)  Same availability goes for TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, MD, VA, WV, DE, DC, and some parts of TN, KY, PA, NJ, and OK.
    Unless you live in western SC and your closest Ace is over an hour away. Then you resort to "underground" Rockwood dealers. Lol
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @stlcharcoal
    What about rockwood in MI?  Can Ace here get it for me?  There is one 3 miles from my house.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    thetrim said:

Just go over to your local Ace and order SKU# 8400772.  Any dealer in FL can get it within a few days from their regional warehouse (yours happens to be in Tampa.)  Same availability goes for TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC, MD, VA, WV, DE, DC, and some parts of TN, KY, PA, NJ, and OK.
    Question for you....  When I go to the Ace website this SKU# or Rockwood is not on their site?  I live in NC...  Thanks
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Godspeed on your quests for the perfect lump....... :s
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    thetrim said:

Question for you....  When I go to the Ace website this SKU# or Rockwood is not on their site?  I live in NC...  Thanks
    @JohnnyTarheel I live in Lenoir and get the Ace Hardware in Morganton to order it for me, takes about 3 days around 20-22 bucks
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    ^^^ I usually wait till Ace sends me a $5.00 off coupon. That makes it a little sweeter
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    thetrim said:

Thanks.  I'll go this week!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    thetrim said:

I just picked up 6 bags from an Ace in AL. Had to order and was here in a few days. First cook tonight. I'm hooked!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    thetrim said:

So am I reading that right - ANY Ace in Virginia will be able to get Rockwood into the store using that SKU#?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @stlcharcoal
    What about rockwood in MI?  Can Ace here get it for me?  There is one 3 miles from my house.
    No not yet.  Right now there are two stores in MI.  This is It Shop and Superior Saw.

I think it has to be nationwide to be on the website.  Either way, any store in NC can order it.  West side comes out of Georgia; East side comes out of Virginia.

HeavyG said:
    So am I reading that right - ANY Ace in Virginia will be able to get Rockwood into the store using that SKU#?

Correct, any Ace in Virginia, just give the SKU and they'll order it.  Also Dizzy Pig & JM Stock's two locations carry it.
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    thetrim said:

@stlcharcoal ... Tell me more about the some parts of OK. I'm in OKC with an ace a few streets over. Otherwise I have to drive to CGS in Denton! 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    piney said:
    thetrim said:

@JohnnyTarheel I live in Lenoir and get the Ace Hardware in Morganton to order it for me, takes about 3 days around 20-22 bucks
    @piney Thank you sir...  I'll go to the local store...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • stlcharcoal
    edited March 2016
    Options
    maso said:
    @stlcharcoal ... Tell me more about the some parts of OK. I'm in OKC with an ace a few streets over.

What's the ZIP or the name of the nearest store?  I have a master list for the Dallas warehouse and can see which is the nearest that falls in your area.  Country Home Meats in Edmund always has it in stock.  Not sure which Ace stores besides Stone's in Piedmont are stocking it full time.

@piney Thank you sir...  I'll go to the local store...

Blackhawk Ace in Charlotte keeps it in stock.  There are a few other stores north of town that do as well.  Check our website.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Poor folks in CA have to go into dark alleyways to score RW. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • AR_Pork_Producer
    Options
    thetrim said:

Can I get it in Texarkana, Tx

Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    thetrim said:

Can I get it in Texarkana, Tx

I thought so, but no.  There are 3-4 stores surrounding Texarkana that are technically in another region.  You need to get south of I-20 in that corner of TX or in LA to be across the border.  This is per the map and spreadsheet I have, so you never know.  Call and ask it they pull from Wilmer, TX or Maumelle, AR--if it's TX then they can order, but not from AR (yet).
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    While I appreciate @stlcharcoal trying to expand the Rockwood local distribution network, however, in the here and now, check out fire craft-free shipping over $99 and the bags are well packed.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    While I appreciate @stlcharcoal trying to expand the Rockwood local distribution network, however, in the here and now, check out fire craft-free shipping over $99 and the bags are well packed.  FWIW

-What about all the dust?  =)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Poor folks in CA have to go into dark alleyways to score RW. 
    Naw, we just get Royal Oak.   B)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Eggingaround
    Options
    @stlcharcoal is the Mckinney, TX Ace Hardware able to get it 75069? 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max