Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Day

Options
organic Berkshire bellies. Maybe my best yet. Just took some to the neighbors. That's my favorite
part. Its like they want to hug me every time I see them for weeks. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I don't live that far away...neighbor.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I don't live that far away...neighbor.
    This is true. Come on over. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That brother is some fine looking bacon!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Mr. Rodgers here. Can I be your neighbor.  =)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I see you take Mark 12:31 to heart. Very nice of you to share that pork gold you have there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I would love to, but beer and fried shrimp are making me sink into the sofa.  Had to run to depot earlier, decided I deserved a taco from Valentina's and they had a sign up - closed all day, but they were there, smokers going.  Not cool.

That bacon does look special.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2016
    Options
    DMW said:
    I see you take Mark 12:31 to heart. Very nice of you to share that pork gold you have there.
    Back in the day I wouldn't have had to google that one. I've lost my touch with the Bible drills as I've aged out of the system :) 

this is is really good. We can't stop eating all the  little bits and scraps. Charcuterie maple bacon recipe but we leave a few things out. No juniper or garlic. We never have juniper (even though I do right now) and even though I love garlic, it comes across too strong for me in bacon. Nutmeg is the secret bacon ingredient. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a big pile of piggy goodness. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    How big are the pork bellies that you start with? This is on my to do list and I want to make sure that I do it right. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    How big are the pork bellies that you start with? This is on my to do list and I want to make sure that I do it right. 
    This one was 18lbs. If I were you, I would find a place that sells good bellies (these were $8.99lb) and tell them you want a 5lb chunk to make bacon with. One end has a few muscle groups that come together and is not as good for slicing as the single muscle part.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Thank you Sir. I will do my best. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That is a great looking snack.  I think salt got the better of Mike and I on our little bellies we did.  I'd like to try again with a full sized slab like that. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited March 2016
    Options
    20stone said:
    That is a great looking snack.  I think salt got the better of Mike and I on our little bellies we did.  I'd like to try again with a full sized slab like that. 
    They were skinny. These were fat. Those pigs we butchered were super tasty but a bit on the lean side for me. They make great brats though. Holy moly. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thank you Sir. I will do my best. 
    I have done the restaurant depot $2.29lb bellies but I end up cutting 20%off and they are really thin so the yield really sucks. Look for bellies that are thick (Berkshire, but there are others like Duroc), trimmed up, and one whole muscle. 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Mmmm bacon!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

that is some beautiful bacon!  sandwich looks not too shabby, too :)  it looks like you got some really high quality belly.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blind99 said:

that is some beautiful bacon!  sandwich looks not too shabby, too :)  it looks like you got some really high quality belly.

I'm sold on good Berkshire. Best 2 bellies I've done by far were organic Berkshire. They are thicker and have a better flavor than anything else I've made. 
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    Options
    looks fantastic.  I don't have the courage to try my own yet.
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jbreed said:
    looks fantastic.  I don't have the courage to try my own yet.
    If you can put salt on meat and wait 6 days. You can make awesome bacon. It only requires one specialized ingredient which is pink salt (sodium nitrite- not Himalayan pink salt). There are plenty of folks on here that can walk you through it and I'm glad to help. Let me know when you are ready. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm in awe! Spectacular! BLT's Rock!
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Looks awesome. Have you tried it without pink salt? I have done it that way my last 3 bellies and I can't really tell the difference.  My wife thinks pink salt is bad and I have to pick my battles. I may go back to it next time for another comparison. Just curious. Thanks. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Looks awesome. Have you tried it without pink salt? I have done it that way my last 3 bellies and I can't really tell the difference.  My wife thinks pink salt is bad and I have to pick my battles. I may go back to it next time for another comparison. Just curious. Thanks. 
    No and I don't intend to. I'm not afraid of nitrites. Even though I make a lot of bacon throughout the year, I give lots away and we only eat a few pcs a week. Nitrites are found in almost everything we eat and are especially heavy in many of the hero leafy greens we all eat as power foods. I eat way more of those than processed meats (and I process many of those myself) so I'm ok with the risk associated with curing with sodium nitrite. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Hi54putty not much nitrite is left after the cure is done. As centex notes, plenty more occurs naturally. 

as for leaving it out you can but its not bacon. It's just fried, brined pork. here is a side by side that I did recently. Easy to tell visually and taste wise which didn't have pink salt:

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Double Yum!!!!!!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx