Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody use Peach or Orange for smoke??

Options
Looking for some feed back on these two woods.

Has anybody used Peach or Orange for smoke?
What meats do you smoke with them?

I saw these on Firecraft's website and was thinking of trying at least the peach. Orange smoke doesn't sound very good, but who knows. I am a huge fan of pecan and cherry, with apple a distant third, so the peach might not be too much of a stretch. 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Peach is really good.  It is similar to Apple as it is a mild sweet smoke. I use it with pork, chicken, veggies, etc.  I have not tried orange.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I use peach and orange on pork and chicken. Orange is really good with poultry, but like any other smoke with poultry, don't overdo it. I think peach is good with just about everything.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Peach is awesome, I use it by itself, or mixed with pecan. Orange I have used mostly with chiken. Great smoke flavor, just don't over do it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Peach worked fine for me w. poultry and pork loins and yenderloins.

Never had any orange.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My in-laws own a peach orchard so I grab wood from there just about every visit.  Use is for pork and chicken mixed with pecan.  Love it!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I can't tell much difference in peach and apple. Both are light and clean. Love them.  Never used orange.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I've used peach and orange. Both are are great on pork. Haven't tried with poultry.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I don't know about smoking with citrus wood, however the best steak I have ever had was cooked over citrus wood at Charley's Steak House in Orlando.
    I wish I had a good supply of citrus to use on the egg
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    I like "smoke roasting" spatched chickens raised direct with orange wood.  It burns quickly that way and kisses it with a nice sweet smoke.  
  • oldmandawg
    Options
    Peach with pork is good. Very good.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I've used orange with fish also, it worked well.
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I have used peach with butts and ribs. Really liked it with the ribs.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I have used both Navel Orange and Peach and love them both when a light smoke is the goal.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have used and like using peach, it is great with chicken.  I haven't tired orange but would think it would be good with chick or fish.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Love peach....never tried orange....but would love to try it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Options
    Used to hunt at a place that had a peach orchard and got (and used) a lot of peach wood.  Good stuff that I used on everything.

Usually let the bigger pieces dry about six months before using.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Peach, like a handful of other woods, is a great "all around" wood. It goes well with just about any meat or seafood. I'm real fond of peach but no longer use it. Why? Oak and pecan is free for me.  If peach was available I would certainly use it. 
    Orange, like most any fruit wood can certainly be used as well. I have noticed one thing though when smoking over orange for real long periods of time. After about 8 hours of smoking, orange will start to impart a slight "tart or bitter" taste. Now remember this is after hours of smoking. Some may like this taste, I do not. We all have different tastes when it comes to smoke. As a example I do not care for mesquite at all. Others love it. The same applies to orange. You may really like the taste. Again, and for clarity, orange is fine in my book for smoking less than 8 hours. But for anything that will dwell in excess of 8 hours (brisket & clod) I forgo its use. 
    If given the choice between the two, I would go with peach. But that's just my preference my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I use peach when I want a light smoke.  I'll use a single chunk when cooking fish, unmarinated shrimp, or veggies.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I can't tell much difference in peach and apple. Both are light and clean. Love them.  Never used orange.
    I agree with this, they have a slight difference in aroma when smoking, but I can't tell any difference in taste. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Orange tree pruning branches occasionally. Lite smoke that was nice on poultry and fish. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I will probably order a bag of peach chunks when I order some Rockwood for the first time. I'm going to have to think about orange wood for a while. It doesn't sound good even though it gets good reviews here.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    You'll like the peach for light smoke for poultry and fish.  Not strong enough for pork unless you lose a lot.  Apricot is good too.