Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC has done it again

Options
LBGE, MiniMax, Weber Genesis and a hunger for all grilling knowledge! Aledo, TX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Yeti hopper for sale...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    This appears to be a better design than the Yeti, at least on top. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    Hoppers are too tight at the opening, very difficult to grab things in and out let alone see the contents. That larger opening on the Rtic may not let it keep ice as long though. Ordered the 30 anyway and will compare.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I'll stick with my Polar Bear softside. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    40 qt softsided cooler. Seems big for a soft cooler.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I ordered the soft 20 to go with my Polar Bear. Looking forward to seeing it in May.
    McKinney, TX
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    just ordered a soft 30. Expecting that it'll quell my longing for the 45qt hard cooler.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • Eggzellent
    Eggzellent Posts: 238
    Options
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    I went with the 40......gotta have one wide enough to store Johnny's Take and Bake Pizzas back from LA to TX.  :D
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
    Hoppers are too tight at the opening, very difficult to grab things in and out let alone see the contents. That larger opening on the Rtic may not let it keep ice as long though. Ordered the 30 anyway and will compare.
    Never understood why anyone would buy a softsided cooler, let alone waste the high dollars for a Yeti one?  Hell, I use a smaller $5 garage sale find Playmate for my lunches.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggzellent
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Focker said:
    NCSmoky said:
    Never understood why anyone would buy a softsided cooler, let alone waste the high dollars for a Yeti one?  Hell, I use a smaller $5 garage sale find Playmate for my lunches.

Keeping meat frozen and preventing cross-contamination (one inside the other); easily transporting two heavy coolers (with wheels) so that the softside quickly becomes the main (portable) cooler and the larger cooler ice storage, fish holder, etc.; jamming/shift-shaping a soft side cooler in to vehicles where space/irregular objects hauled is an issue; power outages..you'd probably be surprised if the need arose (and for most, as you mention, it simply doesn't).
  • Eggzellent
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ..more RITC drama: http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2637593/
    (page 24 'supposedly' shows a pic of the soft-side w/5 day old ice)