Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

oh the anticipation! first PR sous vide

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
I've had a sweet 2 pound prime rib swimming nearly 3 hours already intended for a late evening supper. Before going in the FS vacuum I hit it with coarse kosher salt and Penzeys Old English PR rub. Total swim time will be about 6 hours at 131 at which time I will sear it to crisp the edges. Then I will split it in half horizontally like a geode to reveal a rare to medium rare center. Oh the anticipation!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh boy. Standing by!  

I did SV pork chops twice last week, once seared in a cast iron pan and once at high temp on the Joe Jr.  They were both fantastic!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Keep us informed please.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    6 hours sounds like a long time for a tender cut of beef.  It may end up somewhat mushy.  I usually don't go longer than 2 hours for ribeyes.  How thick is it?

Options
    paqman said:
    6 hours sounds like a long time for a tender cut of beef.  It may end up somewhat mushy.  I usually don't go longer than 2 hours for ribeyes.  How thick is it?
    My cook book suggested 5 to 10 hours for a 2 pounder at 131 for rare. The piece is exactly 2" thick, but long and wide plus nice marbling. Oh boy - now you have me worried!
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    paqman said:
    My cook book suggested 5 to 10 hours for a 2 pounder at 131 for rare. The piece is exactly 2" thick, but long and wide plus nice marbling. Oh boy - now you have me worried!
    I decided to cut back to 129 for the rest of the time and was very surprised to see just how quickly the water temperature dropped to 129. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Polyscience Sous Vide toolbox says 5 hrs 31 min to cook and pasteurize the surface.
    2in 131 deg internal temp. 131 deg water bath

The toolbox is pretty accurate on cook times/temps

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Options
    Lowering the temperature below 131 is not a right move. 131 is good but that piece of meat is ready.

Options
    paqman said:
    I bought that app for my iPad but can't seem to get it to work right. Guess I need to keep trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How'd it come out Ron?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    danger, danger, danger Will Robinson. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    It looks fantastic, but the charts have turned me off from SV lol.  I don't even want to think about those risks. 
  • RRP
    Options
    EggDan said:
    It looks fantastic, but the charts have turned me off from SV lol.  I don't even want to think about those risks. 
    perhaps, but from what I have read and seen with my own eyes you would be surprised to discover just how wide spread the use of sous vide is in the "good" steak house business. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    EggDan said:
    There are no risks of these cook temp once pasteurized.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    EggDan said:
    Ive never used apps or fancy charts and I cook SV every week. It's very simple and risk free if you follow simple time and temp procedures. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My first attempt with sous vide was a cooler set up with a bucket heater, a garden fountain pump for circulation and a temp controller. Set the temp to 134*F. I attempted to cook a round steak knowing that it was the toughest piece of meat I had in my freezer. My thought process was that in a slow cooked stew, meat falls apart if cooked long enough therefore if I cooked this tough steak for 17 hours it should damned near be a filet mignon. It did not work out that way. It did not turn to mush as you might expect. It was a little more tender than cooked fast but it was perfectly cooked edge to edge to our liking. It didn't really have a whole lot of taste. I will try it again though with a better cut of meat and for a much shorter time. This was a couple of months ago so... no... it did not kill me. :smiley: 

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Beats me, I'm new at this too, but...

http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/sous-vide-times-temperatures/how-to-sous-vide/prime-rib-roast

I just started a 3.5 lb bone in pork loin at 140°. Seasoned with s&p plus herbes de Provence. Planning to leave it in for about 6 hours. We'll see.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    Beats me, I'm new at this too, but...

http://www.modernistcookingmadeeasy.com/sous-vide-times-temperatures/how-to-sous-vide/prime-rib-roast

I just started a 3.5 lb bone in pork loin at 140°. Seasoned with s&p plus herbes de Provence. Planning to leave it in for about 6 hours. We'll see.
    That's the very cookbook I bought. As you will see he gives wide ranges, but in his actual recipes he seems to always recommend the lowest hours and temperatures. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    That's the very cookbook I bought. As you will see he gives wide ranges, but in his actual recipes he seems to always recommend the lowest hours and temperatures. 
    Hmm, he has my pork roast at 140° for 4-6 hrs for Medium and since I don't care for cool center med-rare pork, I thought I'd go 6 hrs. Plus, I don't want to eat at 4PM. =) 

Pork Loin Roast Time and Temperatures

Medium Rare: 131ºF for 4 to 8 Hours (55.0ºC)
    Medium: 140ºF for 4 to 6 Hours (60.0ºC)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    "The end justifies the means" is aptly applied to sous vide cooking.

I will be trying one soon.

Spring "98.6 Degrees For 655248 Hours" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

PS: A little 'spongy.'
  • FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    @Spring Chicken  That temp is definitely in the danger zone and for just about 75 years!!! Is that carcass not rotten by now??? :smiley:  

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    FlashkaBob - According to a number of people, I've been rotten the entire time LOL...

Spring "1.5 Hours Closer To Being Over Cooked" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA