Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inject Brisket: Yes or No?

Options
Gonna put my second only brisket on in the am...I've read several recipes that inject it first and some that dont. What say ye? I have the Butcher BBQ brisket injection on hand but is the consensus to just put mustard and rub on and go?

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    One of each, report your findings here
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm squarely in the "no" category. No mustard either IMO
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'm squarely in the "no" category. No mustard either IMO
    I'm with brother Double.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I agree with yolk. Only way to know what you like. I prefer no, but I do prime grade and the beef has plenty of natural flavor. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I inject my brisket and love the flavor and effect. I inject every brisket I cook and probably always will. For comp I use Butcher BBQ Prime injection. For home I use my rub + better than bouillon beef base.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    I had a friend who competes, and wins, tell me he will not cook a brisket without injecting for his cooking contests.

I tried it on a foil assisted, short cook using a choice 16 pound packer. It came out great. I did it prior to placing on the egg, and again, just before wrapping. 9 hours later it was done. I toweled and coolered it for a couple hours.

I have also done it without injecting, but I let it cook without foiling and then FTC for a minimum of 4 hours. That was also great.

If all I had was a flat I would be injecting that thing almost non stop.

I have only used beef broth for my injections.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Yes to injections, no to mustard. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Doubleegger and BGEBrent share much wisdom here.  I don't inject and I don't use mustard..  Rubs should be simple, but if you find it's worth the effort and it works for you, go for it.  My top-secret dry rub for brisket, which comes out stellar every time, is, shhh- don't tell anyone da da deluatdalat da da..

Salt and Pepper!

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    WWAAFD?  

[What would AyAyron Franklin do?]

NO.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If we're talking about a packr then NO.  It's Not needed imo. No mustard needed either imo. I'm guessing you're using the mustard for a binder (I used to do this also---no difference either way imho). 
    If I were to inject it'd be on a flat only. And I'd go with a natural beef broth. I've also FTC on a flat- (butcher paper and cooler) with a little black coffee and it was good. That said I haven't smoked a flat only for a few years now (packers are more cost effective and leftovers, if any, always get used). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Injecting brisket. This is akin to should you or shouldn't you wrap and the foil vs paper debate. Some of the eternal and undying questions that have no clear or concise answer. Only speculation and compound answers to attempt to merit ones own preferred methods and tastes.
     With that said, there are certainly times that injecting can be real beneficial contrary to what some of the Gods may say. Examples- Real low quality select and choice. If you start with lean, semi-dry meat, the result will be dry meat no matter how astute you are with your pit. You must do something to compensate for poor quality be it marinate, braise, inject, etc, etc. You simply can not cook quality into meat. It has to already be there.
     Of course one way around this is to use quality meat. However that is not always a option. It's in this arena that injecting really shines and opens up a whole new ball game. Me personally, for home cooking I prefer not to inject high grades of quality meat. However in the comp arena I would highly recommend it. The ole salt & pepper and clean smoke crap just won't cut it in comps. On that same note I don't want to sit down and try to fill up on comp brisket. So to inject or not just depends on the end goal and the upfront quality of the meat in hand. Also personal tastes and results figure highly into this. 
    As a general rule (for me) prime and higher I do not inject for home cooking. There is no real need unless you are inexperienced and are worried about over cooking. A slightly over cooked brisket that has been injected will be more moist than a slightly over cooked brisket that was not injected. 
    At the end of the day, injecting is just another means to help reach a particular end. Is it necessary across the board? Certainly not. Can it be a very useful tool when cooking lean meat or when you slightly overcooked your meat? You bet your boots it can. I have breathed new life into over cooked meat by injecting after the meat was cooked.
    Again and for clarity, in general I prefer not to inject with quality meat. However injecting certainly has its place in the patheon of the Q arena. Make no mistake about it. As with most things, you can chose any road that you want as long as it gets you there. 
    All of the above is just one simple mans thoughts and opinions. As such, take it with a grain of salt. However it has produced good results and proved true for me over the years time and time again.
    As always, in your quest for better Q, I wish you good luck and may the Thunder Gods keep you ever in their good grace and favor my friend. Good luck and keep on smoking. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SGH said:
     You simply can not cook quality into meat. It has to already be there.

Great quote. +1
    Btw, you can't put hunt in a bird dog either. You can ruin a good piece of meat or a good dog though...
    This has nothing to do with the OP's question - I'm just rambling.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    i inject low and slow turkeys for pull and pork butt alot, i would do the brisket as well. i like to inject half way through the cook, more stays in and theres no mess to clean up if done in the egg, if you do this i would water down your injection with beef broth as it wont mellow enough with the shorter cook time making the flavor  more vibrant. i would probably just use beef broth and a little worcestershire, this will taste more beefy i think
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @SGH Compared to you and others on this forum, y'all have done thousands of fine brisket to every one I have done. but the ones I have done have been better than most places My Beautiful Wife and I have gone for the Q. I am in lock step with you. When I see the marbling is very poor - I shoot it up with broth. Prime or better it rides without the aid of injection.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    This has nothing to do with the OP's question - I'm just rambling.
    I enjoy rambling. I'm actually pretty good at it too. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @SGH Compared to you and others on this forum, y'all have done thousands of fine brisket to every one I have done. but the ones I have done have been better than most places My Beautiful Wife and I have gone for the Q. I am in lock step with you. When I see the marbling is very poor - I shoot it up with broth. Prime or better it rides without the aid of injection.

This makes sense to me.  If it is a "standard" choice grade brisket then I say go for it especially since you already have the Butchers BBQ injection on hand.  If it a Wagyu brisket then I personally wouldn't inject because I don't think it needs it and I want to taste the beef unaltered. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I had a choice brisket and injected it, and it came out fine.

I had a SRF Kobe Gold brisket, and I didn't inject it, and it came out fine.

This means nothing, I know. But it addresses this: @HendersonTRKing wrote, "WWAAFD?" and AyAy would say, "There are many paths to great brisket and every cut is different." (Quote from the book.) Add in that you can do a brisket in a smoker, on a pellet grill, on a gasser, on a kamado, in your oven, etc, and all of a sudden the brisket is asking the cook to take a gamble.

Me, I'd inject it, see what happens. But injecting changes a lot of other things, like stall point, stall time, wrap, etc. AyAy also says to pay attention to what you are doing, and learn from what you've done.

Have fun, it will come out great. Brisket isn't nearly as hard as all that is written about it and fretted about it makes it seem.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options
    Also you might want to consider that this is your second brisket. Think about eliminating variables until you get the basics down pat. Injecting/mustard etc is adding variables to the equation. Once you're confident with the basics, then experiment. 
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    192 she probed like butter and is now resting under some towels...I injected half the flat as an experiment....bark looks excellent. Pics coming when it s done resting
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    for me, no inject, no mustard, no fancy rubs, just beef, salt, pepper, and smoke.

• fishindoc
    Options
    Pretty good....I think my final thoughts are I want the simple taste of the beef . I think the cook technique was very good. .
  • fishindoc
    Options
    Burnt ends tomorrow
  • bgebrent
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    Pretty good....I think my final thoughts are I want the simple taste of the beef . I think the cook technique was very good. .
    Looks like you nailed bro!  Looks most excellent!
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    no...he did not nail it. I'm sorry. Dude, Ive spent $100's on meat. You know when its right
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • bgebrent
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    no...he did not nail it. I'm sorry. Dude, Ive spent $100's on meat. You know when its right
    I don't inject as stated above.  And I've seen moister.  He has a nice bark. Be specific in your criticism independent of any $ spent.
  • MaC122
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @bgebrentok..there is no bark. You can look at meat and know its right. next time, just like most of my briskets.
  • MaC122
    Options
    ok..ok..ok...im sorry
  • bgebrent
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    @bgebrentok..there is no bark. You can look at meat and know its right. next time, just like most of my briskets. Looks like pork
    I will brother, thank you for the education!  Please tag me on your next brisket post.  I have a lot to learn and would appreciate your tutelage.  Don't ever stroke a newbie tho, elitism is better.  Please shower on us all your amazingness!
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I think the presentation is excellent. This guy (me) would love a plate full of that.
    The brisket looks delicious.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky