Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Froggy went a'courtin' and he did ride, but in my stomach he will reside...

Options
theyolksonyou
theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
My boys are adventurous eaters. On vacation while eating escargot they proclaimed they wanted to try frog legs. Well, 7 months later I finally obliged. I've never cooked frog legs. Probably been 30-35 yrs since I ate frog legs last. Leaned on @Mattman3969 ,again, and cooked them like chicken wings. They didn't last long. 

Served with acorn squash egged with pineapple head and butter. 

Cooked raised direct @425 ish. Head country rub, Flipped  after 5min and glazed with a butter Frank's red hot mix. 

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Fantastic! It's been years since I've had them too.  I bet there's no way I can get my kids to try them. Great cook!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Do you have a pic of the finished product?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Look good, when I had them last, 20 yrs ago, they had a little swampy aftertaste, but nothing tha t stopped me from eating them.:peace:
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Effen vanilla!  Trying to post  pics and get kicked off. 

So so glad my boys like to try different foods. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Only wish if had more. 2# pack gone in 60 sec. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How did you like them?  I liked them when I did them.   Any finished pics?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    How did you like them?  I liked them when I did them.   Any finished pics?
    They were really good. Finished pic finally posted above. Consensus is, buy at least twice as many and do it again. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Looks great! I love cooking frog legs for the young ones! They always enjoy it. I have always soaked mine in milk to make sure it doesn't have any gaminess.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Glad you & da boys enjoyed!! I will do again on another batchin night cause Mrs3969 will not indulge in the leg O frog.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Looks great! I love cooking frog legs for the young ones! They always enjoy it. I have always soaked mine in milk to make sure it doesn't have any gaminess.
    Well, I don't know the providence of these foods as I dint gig em myself, but very little gaminess here. Occasional fishy taste, but very tolerable.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    In style of Uncle Pecos!

https://youtu.be/9GS4XeM8Atg
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    @theyolksonyou
    Looks awesome brother yolk. If you ever get the chance, deep fry some. You talk about a winner.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Well, I don't know the providence of these foods as I dint gig em myself, but very little gaminess here. Occasional fishy taste, but very tolerable.
    True. We caught a lot of them as kids in the ditch so that probably has a different flavor than store bought ones.  If they were good, they were good!! And they sure look good!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @tarheelmatt that's the hard part right in there

l watched a lot of Tom and Jerry in my day. Forgot about that one. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @sgh unfortunately, I'm studying for the insurance biometric test this spring, so deep fried is on a limited basis till May. Stupid insurance...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    I love frog legs! My favorite recipe though is not done on the egg. I feel there is so little meat that a slower actually first sautéed in butter and then steamed in a little water until tender produces better results. The added final touch is to pour in some B&B Liqueur and flambé. Mr Froggies go out in style and with great taste! 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,636
    Options
    What, not in the style of Dixie?

Great experience for the kids, how fantastic they are so daring with food.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Legume said:
    What, not in the style of Dixie?
    Above he said:
    @sgh unfortunately, I'm studying for the insurance biometric test this spring, so deep fried is on a limited basis till May. Stupid insurance...

Thus ruling out Dixie style. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,515
    Options
    College Flashback!
    A couple of the above pics reminded me of the Iowa State University cheerleaders.  
    Go Cyclones!  

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Legume that daring palate comes with a price that I happily pay. Not a lot of fast food in the diet. 

@botch watching the Cyclones now. Their head coach was a high school team mate for a year. 
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    They look great, nice job.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Brother Yolk, killer.  The only folks that don't love frog legs are those that haven't had them.  Yours look perfect!  Brings me back brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    Nice! 

It's important to broaden the horizons of the young uns. Found out this past week that my 2yo likes fish head curry and scallops.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    Here's my last addition to this post for tonight...it was at least 35+ years ago Pat and I were vacationing on Singer Island in West Palm Beach, Florida at a Holiday Inn. It was a Friday night and the speciality that night was a frog leg buffet. There was some weather alert as I recall, but we were like 100 feet from our room, so what? As it turned out we and just another couple ate there that time anyway! We ate so many deliciously prepared frog legs that night that we nearly were ruined.! As I recall...the price was like $8.99 each! Ribbit!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is awesome man.  I have never head them.  Do they taste just like chicken?  

I can't even get my kids (or my wife) to eat lamb.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Wow, it's been ages since I had frog legs. Those look great.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt I would liken them to chicken wings in texture and somewhat flavor. There was a hint of fishiness in a few bites. Not bad taste, just a hint. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Thanks for jogging the good memories.  I can remember gigging with my father when I was the age of your kids.  Of course, I also remember him sneaking out by himself to go gigging ... so we'd have enough to eat ... seems I wasn't a very stealthy hunter.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    I love them fried (like @SGH said). But this is next on my list. Think may give a buttermilk bath before Egg. 
    Very good post. Thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,582
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Nice!  Had fresh frogs eons ago, brings back childhood memory. My mom used to buy them live from the market, for peanuts, since the locals didn't care for them. Unfortunately it ran dry soon after they discovered the export market.
    We didn't get a chance to butcher them though, I think she would chop the head and strip the skin like how you take off your pants  =)
    canuckland