Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you like to help or come and watch?

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
My slaughter posts has raised a lot of curiosity and interest on the subject. I have received numerous texts, PM's and calls from folks who really enjoyed it and have genuine questions. With that said, I have a question and a open invitation to anyone on the forum. I have been asked to help slaughter a 2,300 pound bull and 6 boar goats and cook it for a fundraiser for child burn victims. If anyone would like to witness this in person, let me know. You are even welcome to video it and take pics if you would like. I will take the time to walk you through each step of breaking the cold carcass into primals and then into subprimals. Because this is for charity and not a comp, you are even welcome to practice your knife skills on both the beef and goat carcasses if you would like. You need not bring a knife as I have any breaking and joint knife that you can think off. You are welcome to watch what ever you like from the killing, cleaning, breaking and hanging. If you want to watch the cooking only, it will be 45 days from the day that the meat is hung. The beef and goats will be cooked on unit #9. A direct fired 2,500 gallon offset. You are even welcome to test drive unit #9 if you like. It is my hope that some of you can join in. It's always awesome to meet folks from the forum. For clarity, this is free of charge to you. It will cost you nothing except for gas to get here. If you are honestly intersted, please let me know. Also let me know if you are interested in the butchering and breaking, the cooking or all of the above. If you have ever wanted to witness 1,500+ pounds of meat cooked at one time, here is your chance my friends. The cook will be the 3rd weekend of May. As such, the slaughter will be the second weekend of April to make the minimum 45 day hang window. Just to be perfectly clear, this is free of charge. My gift to you if you will. You will not be asked for money by anyone. The slaughter and breaking will be on my personal property just outside of Mobil, Al. The cook will be on public property in Hattisburg, MS. Let me know if you are interested. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Interested all day long!  I once lived in Mobile.  Front row seat Scottie!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Brother I'm going to look at my schedule when time gets closer. This sounds like a ton of fun.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    My property over there is 12 minutes from the Mobil airport. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    My property over there is 12 minutes from the Mobil airport. 
    I'm in Scottie, time allowing.  Brilliant offer friend!
  • SGH
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Brilliant offer friend!
    I have always wanted to contribute something really helpful to the forum. I thought this might be a good way to fulfill that goal. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I will even show y'all how to make imitation calamari if you would like ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I wanna see you butcher a buffalo. 

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    Options
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    Brilliant offer friend!
    I have always wanted to contribute something really helpful to the forum. I thought this might be a good way to fulfill that goal. 
    What you have offered this forum is without compare in my limited eggsperience.  You are always available, knowledgeable and giving.  You brother are why this forum is amazing and educational.  Thank you and please continue my friend.  You are part and parcel to this forum.
  • SGH
    Options
    I wanna see you butcher a buffalo. 
    This is sacrilege ;)

Status- Standing by.

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Where exactly in Mobile? I am from Bayou La Batre. My brother is Forest Gump. No longer there, just curious.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    What slaughter posts?  I was lured in to discover what was to be watched.
    Flint, Michigan
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've always enjoyed butcher days.  I sure would love to learn and volunteer my labor, but I'm a very long ways away.  

Anyone who has not done this before, I would highly recommend.  It's lots of work, but I'm sure it will be piles of fun as well.

Thanks Scottie for the invitation.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    Where exactly in Mobile? I am from Bayou La Batre.
    If you leave the Mobil airport heading west on airport Blvd, follow it about 10 minutes to the MS line. When you cross the MS line the road becomes HWY 614. Stay on it for about 2 minutes until you come to the railroad tracks. Turn left right before the tracks, this is rail street. You have arrived at your destination my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What slaughter posts?  
    It got buffaloed by the mods due to viewer complaints about gory images. 

Status- Standing by.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm sorry I missed them.  Seems kinda funny that a bloody roast is ok, but seeing where it comes from is too disturbing.  I thought "Farm to Table" was all the rage.  I guess slaughter doesn't happen on the farm, eh?
    Flint, Michigan
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This sounds like something I need to be involved in. I'll do either the cook or the slaughter for sure. probably can't do both but will if I can.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This sounds like something I need to be involved in. I'll do either the cook or the slaughter for sure. probably can't do both but will if I can.

Brother Tex, you are welcome to stay on Horton Hill if you would like. I serve imitation calimari daily ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm sorry I missed them.  Seems kinda funny that a bloody roast is ok, but seeing where it comes from is too disturbing.  I thought "Farm to Table" was all the rage.  I guess slaughter doesn't happen on the farm, eh?

Little Rock, AR

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thank you Scottie. We may do a little sight seeing but would love to spend some time with you and the party monster (assuming he's roaming freely at the time) :wink: 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Scottie- you will be in my collegiate stomping grounds in Hattiesburg. Mind me asking where the cook will be held?  I'd love to pass the cook info to my buddies still out there!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bgebrent
    Options
    SGH said:
    I will even show y'all how to make imitation calamari if you would like ;)
    Still more interested in fried squid brother.  Don't even bait and switch ;)
  • SGH
    Options
    Scottie- you will be in my collegiate stomping grounds in Hattiesburg. Mind me asking where the cook will be held?  I'd love to pass the cook info to my buddies still out there!
    It will be at one of the parks up there. Just depends on which one they reserve. I will have all of the particulars real soon and will gladly post them as dates and places become definite. The slaughter is definitely happening at my place though. 

Status- Standing by.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    I've got a buddy up in Wiggins that works on the rodeo circuit that might be interested in the slaughter and the cook. I'll check with him soon.

as far as getting buffaloed for the hog slaughter pics....  How to people think that cuts appear in the grocery shelves???

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• rossv1
    rossv1 Posts: 114
    Options
    I may be in for the breaking down, Mobile is only about 4 hours away me. I'd have to let you know for sure closer to April though.
    22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Sounds like fun!!! If I'm not competing that weekend I'll have to come see this!  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    Sounds like fun!!! If I'm not competing that weekend I'll have to come see this!  
    Hope that you can make it brother. I'm sure that hippy will make a appearance as well ;)

Status- Standing by.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If I didn't have call rotation that week I'd fly down just to watch and help.  Well maybe more like be in the way and learn.  Somehow I doubt I can get anyone to take my call that week.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SGH
    Options
    ryantt said:
      Well maybe more like be in the way and learn.  
    I assure you brother, you would not be in the way at all. I can honestly do this blindfolded, standing on one foot, with one hand tied behind my back. Now Party Monster on the other hand, he can get in the way. He is known for passing out right in the way.  

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    ryantt said:
      Well maybe more like be in the way and learn.  
    I assure you brother, you would not be in the way at all. I can honestly do this blindfolded, standing on one foot, with one hand tied behind my back. Now Party Monster on the other hand, he can get in the way. He is known for passing out right in the way.  
    Sounds like he needs to wake up in the gut bucket one day. That would fix that real quick. 

Little Rock, AR