Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a good reminder of how short our time is

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
edited December 2015 in Off Topic
went to visit a friend tonight who is coming to the end of a short battle with cancer.  He was diagnosed 3mos ago and now they are telling him to make his final arrangements. They are guessing he has 3-4 weeks left.  Remember to show those around you that you love and care for them, don't put off telling someone you love them because we never know what tomorrow brings.  I believe Paul said it best in Philippians 2:1-4
If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,
Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.  

As as I sat there tonight talking to Wayne, he wanted to make sure the staff at the hospital he's worked at had what they needed.  He's suffering, in pain, and all he could think about was making sure the staff on that floor was going to have lunch/dinner for the night.  Truly selfless, looking after those who are there to care for him.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Every time I hear such as this, my heart truly breaks. My deepest and sincerest condolences to you and your friend. I will keep y'all in my thoughts and prayers. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ryantt
    Options
    Thank you sir @SGH, it saddens me to see him suffer.  Yet even as all of this is going on, he's still gracious and giving to those around him.  

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    ryantt said:
      Yet even as all of this is going on, he's still gracious and giving to those around him.  
    It just proves that in the wicked world in which we live that there are still some good folks left. He sounds like a very fine man. The world needs more like him. Again, truly sorry to hear this my brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Smoker317
    Options
    Heart breaking, prayers sent for Wayne, his family, and friends.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited December 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    Every time I hear such as this, my heart truly breaks. My deepest and sincerest condolences to you and your friend. I will keep y'all in my thoughts and prayers. 
    Well said @SGH.  Continually reading such sad things as this really makes one "pump" the brake pedal on their own life and slow down to enjoy things.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I hate hearing this. Horrible disease that has taken many of my family and friends. The suffering that some of them endured is unfathomable!  I've said it before and I'll say it again **** You Cancer!!! 
    Good vibes and prayers that your friend Wayne and others alike are pain free w/out senseless suffering. But, most of all they be surrounded by folks that love and care about them. Peace be with you. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Payers to Wayne and family. May he find some comfort in his final days. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Ditto what Scottie has said ... except that there are more than "some" good folks out there ... looks like your friend is one of those.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I lost one old friend to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma when he was maybe 36. He would come back each year to spend a week with his widowed mother. We always got together, and as was our habit, we would needle each other about dumb stuff.

We usually phoned each other a couple times a year. I couldn't get thru to him, and began to wonder if the last time I had snapped at him I had actually bothered him. Some months later, I received a phone call. No, he wasn't angry at anything I'd said. But he had just finished his 2nd round of treatment for the disease. Was in temporary remission, but didn't think he had much more time.

I tried calling him a few more times, w/o success. Finally got thru, but the call was answered by his sister, who said "We're in crisis right now, I'll try to get back to you..."

There was a memorial service in town some months later. My friend was, among other things, an accomplished musician. The service featured the tunes he wanted played. At the end, I had to cry.

rynatt, buck up, soldier on. When its over, grieve. It is not a solution, but it helps. If you're lucky, you'll see him wave good-bye in your dreams.
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    Prayers sent for your friend. He sounds like a great guy. I hope his last days are as comfortable as possible. 
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Our family's prayers are with Wayne, his family and friends. Losing a close friend is just as hard as losing a family member. 

I good friend of mine was diagnosed with brain cancer last year, and lost his battle a short 3 months later (only 43). 

Remember the good times and the joy he brought to the people around him!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    My thoughts and prayers are with Wayne, his family and his friends.
    Peace be with him.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I hear you.  I have a buddy who was driving to his parents house Dec 23rd.  Someone was coming the other way got "distracted", lost control,  crossed the grass median, and hit my friend head on.  Bob died in the ambulance. It was his 42nd birthday. 10:23 am.

No warning, and was in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Godspeed to Wayne, and everyone else that has or will be leaving this world too soon. They may go, but those of us who continue on, we owe it them to live our lives to the fullest.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • dgordon2nc
    Options
    Prayers to you. We just lost a dear friend of ours yesterday after a 6 year battle with non Hodgkin's lymphoma. She was 38 with a 3 year old son, one week older than my daughter.  She was an amazing warrior that battled to the very last day. We will miss her but will cherish the memories that we do have our her and make sure her family goes on. I wish you and your friend the best. Cancer is a terrible sickness and I wish that someday in my lifetime we see a cure to end this sadness. 
  • ryantt
    Options
    @dgordon2nc  sorry to hear about the loss of your friend yesterday.  I will  certainly pray for comfort and peace for you, your family and all those involved. 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    12 years ago, my sister needed a surgery procedure that had a "50-50" of survival.  Everyone was sad and wrorried, but, I looked into her credit card fine print.  Back then, there was a paragraph which states if the card holder passes, the balance would be forgiven...

Long story short, I promised to pay her credit card bill if she survives.  If she doesn't, the bank will.  We joked around and laughed.  She mostly used her card to take people out to dinners.  Luckily, she survived.  I was more than happy to pay her credit card bill that month.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Everyday is a gift and a chance for us to do something we have always wanted to do. Start today, do something kind, do something fun, do something you will talk about every day for the rest of you life. My best to all.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky