Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie... Questions

Options
Wife was very good to me, gave me a LGE. No table nor next, letting me decide best route. Questions...

1. I have seen friends cook on egg before but not sure on initial cook(s). Do I need to "season" the egg, as the site says keep below 350 for the first number of cooks. Does it make sense to throw in something to get some smoke and flavor going or is there a step for initial light?

2. I have been reading the table forum. Thought I would go to dealer and get the large green metal cooking island until I found out it was $3400. I was wanting something to be able to cover charcoal, tools etc.. instead of the open tables most use. I have nowhere convenient/close to the egg to keep it all, thous was looking for metal stand. Any suggestions?

Since I wont have a table or nest for probably a few weeks, can I set up a stand with cinder blocks to be temp home? Have a hole in middle for venting?

3. Friend used the guru fan to regulate the temp. Seemed like a great investment, any experts on here have advice?

4. The dealer was out of the plate setter so I went today and the only one they had was a cast iron. I dont like how it does not cover the whole gap where the legs are touching, worried it would let excess heat up close to food. Tne ceramic are snug against the gap, steel not.

Sorry for newbie questions, anxious to get started, flash sloods going on so might not be until Monday so trying to learn as much as possible.

Comments

• saaben
    saaben Posts: 28
    Options
    Newbie as well here but will chime in till the experts respond. 1. My first cook was a salmon filet cooked at 350 and I let her run a little bit to get some temp inside. I would go easy on the first few cooks just as I would take it easy on a new cars engine. Break it in a little for a few cooks. 2. I got a stand and it works perfect. I roll it around to get good air and under porch when raining. Love the nest. 3. No advise on fan. In "my opinion" it is almost like cheating. Strange as it sounds and the wife does complain a little but the egg is made for tinkering with fire almost. I hung out tonight and drank a few beers with the wife while kids played in backyard. Priceless. A fan would almost cause you to set it and forget it. To each his own. I have the place setter and used it tonight. I keep thinking I need this and I need that. I am not going to rush the purchases. I did build a raised grate so I could get some more stuff on there. Sometimes you just got to do it. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Bert2015 said:
    Wife was very good to me, gave me a LGE. No table nor next, letting me decide best route. Questions...

1. I have seen friends cook on egg before but not sure on initial cook(s). Do I need to "season" the egg, as the site says keep below 350 for the first number of cooks. Does it make sense to throw in something to get some smoke and flavor going or is there a step for initial light?

Not necessary. Just keep the temps down as stated. 

2. I have been reading the table forum. Thought I would go to dealer and get the large green metal cooking island until I found out it was $3400. I was wanting something to be able to cover charcoal, tools etc.. instead of the open tables most use. I have nowhere convenient/close to the egg to keep it all, thous was looking for metal stand. Any suggestions?

The tables/carts are definitely in investment. Just like the egg, they do have a lifetime warranty on the finish. Also they have weather proof doors and drawers. Helps to look at it as a lifetime investment. Still, it a big purchase. The Mfg. of those carts makes their own in branded carts that are not quite as stylish, but about 1/2 to 1/3 less $. 

Since I wont have a table or nest for probably a few weeks, can I set up a stand with cinder blocks to be temp home? Have a hole in middle for venting?

Just be a little careful opening the lid so you don't throw it open and tip it over. 

3. Friend used the guru fan to regulate the temp. Seemed like a great investment, any experts on here have advice?

Learn to regulate the airflow manually first then step up to the controllers. All the digi q and flame boss products are first rate. There are others I'm sure are also more than adequate, I just don't have any experience with them. When you go this direction, just pick the features you will want now and in the future and pull the trigger. No need to worry about the product quality. They are excellent. 

4. The dealer was out of the plate setter so I went today and the only one they had was a cast iron. I dont like how it does not cover the whole gap where the legs are touching, worried it would let excess heat up close to food. Tne ceramic are snug against the gap, steel not.

All the plate setters have a gap around the edges for airflow. The cast iron is a bit more rugged than the ceramic ones, but quite a bite heavier. I have had no negative feedback on the several I've sold. 

Sorry for newbie questions, anxious to get started, flash sloods going on so might not be until Monday so trying to learn as much as possible.

All great questions. Learning to build a controlled fire and regulate the temperature is the key to this wonderful product. Once you master these basics, the sky is the limit. You only need to search the forum to get a taste of what can be done. It's a lifestyle changer if you embrace it! Enjoy!

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    There are a ton of accessories you can get, many popular by forum members. I wouldn't rush out and get anything immediately, other than something to do indirect cooks. Once you start coming and getting used to the Egg, you'll have a better idea of what to prioritize. Too many of us have unused accessories in the garage...
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    The first few cooks are suggested at 350 to season the gasket and adhesive. the answers above are great.  I don't use any of the fan set-ups myself.  Main thing is to learn temp control with whichever set up you decide to use.  I love the platesetter for indirect cooks, but wish I had a cast iron one myself.  None of them cover all the area, and you must be careful about the "overhang" areas so as not to burn the meat (many use foil as a shield in those areas)---enjoy the journey, it's just beginning
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I own a Challenger Cart (they make the BGE table) and I love the sealed doors, storage space, and look of the unit.  However, the table top finish is not as strong as it should be.  Several aerosols will damage the finish as will hot plate setters.  I keep aerosols away from the table and use a 2' x 2' ceramic floor tile on legs to hold hot stuff.

The stainless steel tables don't have a problem with aerosols nor hot items.  Keeping the table good looking requires some elbow grease.  Take a look at them by PMing @tspud1 here on the forum. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome! 

My 2 cents ... 

I think  the older gaskets needed to be seasoned a bit, but the newer ones don't need to be. The older gaskets looked like they were made out of wool blankets. 

Ok to set it up on cinder blocks umtil you get a neat or table figured out. I personally would prefer a separate work table with cabinets and keep the egg in a nest. 

If you haven't bought the platesetter yet, think about getting an Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store. Your eyes will cross when you go to the website, so just call Tom and he'll set you up with what you need. Tom is a straight shooter and won't oversell. 

Lastly, I would first learn how to regulate temp etc without a controller. Then see if you still want one after some time.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I took the advice of the forum members and past forums that I searched through when I bought mine. My first "cooks" was me bringing it up to temp with no food, closing it down and redoing the whole thing until I felt comfortable doing it with food.

My fishy cooks were chicken breasts direct (dry as crap), hamburgers and then some steaks at 700 degrees. After that I bought a AR from CGS which allowed me to have a lot more flexibility cook wise than going with a plate setter.

I originally had planned on buying a stoker or some sort of wifi setup but after some cooks decided I really didn't need it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Hello, and congrats on your wife's fine present to you.

The adhesive that holds the gaskets in place may not be fully cured, and may fail if overheated before it sets fully.

Also, make sure the gaskets forms a tight seal. Its not uncommon for the dome to get a little out of line when an Egg is moved. Place a "dollar bill" between the gaskets, and check to see if it is snug everywhere.

Personally, I would recommend starting a fire a few times, and play with the vent and daisy wheel before cooking anything. That would be part of letting the gasket cure. I did not realize how hot the Egg could get, and how long it took, so on my 3rd cook I ended up cinderizing my food because I walked away for 7 - 8 minutes with the vent wide open. Melted the gasket.

Basic air flow control is a key. I don't use any blower systems. Early on, I did have a remote therm so I could check the temp when I was away from the Egg, but once I got the hang of how to set the vents, I usually can get my temp to within 25F of what I want without much fuss at all.

Do check around on the accessories. The basic set up, cooking direct at the lower position can be difficult. The proximity to the glowing lump can expose the food to very high heat. And it is more difficult to manipulate the food, which will be necessary to keep it from burning. Simplest way is to just get some empty cans balanced on the fire ring, and set the grill on top of those, bringing the grill up to near the gasket level. Or spend a couple of bucks on 3 fire brick splits and use those as a more stable lift set up.

Getting the grill higher up towards the dome, and having a surface to block the direct heat makes cooking vastly easier. There are many ways to do this. The AR is a really good one, but jerry-rigs work too.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited December 2015
    Options
    3 - On controllers, I agree with others that it is best to learn without it.  For me, overnight cooks in Chicago prompted me to get a Stoker about 7 years ago.  That was a huge win for all the 24 hour pork butts I have done. However, the Flame Boss 200 wifi was well reviewed for its web features, which paid off in spades last night when I was pulled away from a cook.  I highly recommend it if you start shopping later. 

4 - +1 on the Ceramic Grill Store. I went 8 years with a plate setter, which worked great for what it was, but the CGS has better designed options that will set you up for indirect cooking, the BGEs strongest suit

5 - Unsolicited advice:
    - The BGE does not cool down easily.  You are better off not starting a big chimney of lump, and then trying to hit 225.  It's easy to ramp up temp, but hard to cool it down

- always (always, always) start your long cooks sooner than you think.  Almost all big lumps benefit from some time in the cooler, and having a crowd toe tapping while you are waiting for that next 5 critical degrees and your SO has her arms crossed is noooooo fun. 

- buy a Thermapen (no interest other than a satisfied customer)

- spatchcocked chicken and pork butt are tough to screw up and taste great. Try these first.  

Have fun, and welcome to the cult
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Let the smoke clear. The only add on you need until you get familiar with it is some way to raise the grid(some bricks or cans will do). Don't try and "chase" temps, a few degrees either way won't make a world of difference. Your first eggcessory should be a thermapen

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Most eggcellent gift.
    What follows are some inputs that may be of value and some reinforcement of others posts above.

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm 

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/ 

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

T%hat's more than enough for now.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • flexfusion
    Options
    I have a Challenger Cart and love it.  I move it in and out of my garage when it cools down and has enough storage for my needs.  Quality product.  I always put towels down first on the fold out shelves to keep the cooking mess of the finish.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    20stone said:
    5 - Unsolicited advice:
    - The BGE does not cool down easily.  You are better off not starting a big chimney of lump, and then trying to hit 225.  It's easy to ramp up temp, but hard to cool it down

Have fun, and welcome to the cult

I have an XL and when using a chimney for < 300, I only use 1/3-1/2 full chimney, dump it in the middle, then fill the firebox almost to the bottom of the platesetter interspersed with smoke chunks/chips. Then put the platesetter/whatever in place let it ramp up to the desired temp. lower vent is typically < 1/2 to maybe 1/4 inch open with DFMT barely open.  The Egg is a very simple device.  Less air = lower temp, more air means higher temp. Your particular egg will have its own "sweet spot" so, spend some $$$ on maybe less expensive Lump (like Royal Oak from Home Depot or WallyWorld) and get to know how yours will perform.  Steaks cooked > 500 degrees - maybe a roast in a dutch oven (indirect) at < 300 are inexpensive ways to get to know the egg.  and as always YMMV.  

And yes, my wife too considers this a cult.  So Welcome and you will receive your secret handshake signals by a cosmic revelation sometime in the future.
  • Bert2015
    Options
    Many thanks to the replies. I have known for a while the BGE is a cult, I was just waiting for the "invite"!! So sad we have had torrential downpour and thunderstorms all weekend so the egg is still lonely in the garage... Bummer, but I am taking off tomorrow to build my temp stone temple and will be practicing in prep for New Years Eve football heaven!!!

Another question. Wife included the loof lighter (no idea of that is right name) but the huge lighting stick. I suppose just shove it into middle of pile of coal until a few start smoldering? I was a lifelong charcoal snob until kiddos came along and I bought top of line Weber gas, but 10 years on gas waaaay to long and I am stoked to get on this thing!
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Son in law loves the looflighter.  Yes, for low/slows hold in middle of lump to light in one place.. Lump will spark. Wear a crummy long sleeved shirt unless u feel super manly that day..

Agree on the thermapen. 3 second readings are a joy while you are over high heat.

I have spent big bucks at ceramic grill store over time.  The AR (adjustable rig) is a great design but the fire brick method ( see ace hdwe) will get your grid higher on the cheap to start off.  If you want a second level cooking surface on the cheap, a few bolts will let you attach a second grid above your stock grid.   The AR is just the sexy  very versatile way.

yes,yes do practice low temp control without the electronics.  Many master it well.  It's kinda the merit badge to do long low slows with no electronics/blowers.   Me?  I got halfway decent at it but never to the point That I felt mastery.   So DO Pay the dues, work on vent mastery  ( for sub 300 degrees the openings are smaller than you think!  But as time goes on, if you feel frustrated, feel no shame in looking into a flame boss 200, cyberq, digiq, stoker etc..  I now love sitting on the couch or bedroom watching tv and glancing at the ipad graph of my pulled pork approaching 200 degrees while the darn pit temp graph shows a shows a solid 275 :-). 
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    Son in law loves the looflighter.  Yes, for low/slows hold in middle of lump to light in one place.. Lump will spark. Wear a crummy long sleeved shirt unless u feel super manly that day..
    We get great feedback on the looftlighter. Everyone loves it. 
  • swordsmn
    Options
    People light their lump with starter cubes, chimneys, oil cover paper towels, looft or mapp gas.  Me? I went with a bernzomatic mapp gas setup with a short hose and self sparking little gun  ( home depot). Little faster than the looft, no electricity needed, similar cost.   Whatever you like.   Like I said, the son in law loves the looftlighter.  It'll do great if electricity close by
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    All advice above is is good stuff and I would like to second @caliking suggestion to using a nest and a separate work station.  I'm not a fan of wood tables at all. Never had one and never will. I may build a kitchen style setup out of steel and stone one day but I can not understand why people would put an egg in a wood table that could eventually catch fire.  I would recommend a nest with egg mates.  When you think about it most of your prep is done inside and you only need a place to sit your platter while you transfer to the egg.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Bert2015
    Options
    Had my first experience yesterday as light snow and sleet were falling. Learning process to say the least. Looftlighter was pretty cool, worked well, and I had it lit and tried keeping around 350 or so for a while. Decided so as not to mess up an expensive piece of meat to throw a turkey breast on to slice up later. I figure my process going forward will be to have layers of chips in the coals but for now just dropped them on top. Got some decent smoke, not great. But for some reason I choked off the fire and had to pull the grill and plate setter off and re-light. Got pretty good after that trying to keep in the 250 range. I think I will hold off on fancy electronics for now, try my hand at better understanding of where to set top and bottom to achieve heat.

One newbie, idiot thing I did, I guess habit led me to put pan of water on top of plate setter. When taking it all off to re-light, yep, I spilled about a third of it in the egg. Sure hope I did not screw it up on initial cook!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Burp the egg at high Temps.Burp the egg at high Temps. 

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • swordsmn
    Options
    I've noted most of the forum gods do not feel the need to add liquid to drip pans.  Some use 1/4 to 1/2 small copper plumbing T's to provide an air gap between platesetter and pan.  Then you'll find a few who say to use another spacer material as supposedly the copper can be not so good if it gets really hot.   Opinions vary.  It does lessen the burning of drippings so take that fwiw
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    And a little more about liquid in the pan-if you get everything stabilized with the liquid present it acts as a heat sink.  Once the liquid has evaporated then the sink is gone and your cook temperature will increase.  So, if you use liquid either keep some present or be ready for the increase.
    The BGE maintains such a humid environment that the liquid is not needed for moisture in your food.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.
    And I am a big believer in an air-gapped drip pan, however you get there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Let the smoke clear. The only add on you need until you get familiar with it is some way to raise the grid(some bricks or cans will do). Don't try and "chase" temps, a few degrees either way won't make a world of difference. Your first eggcessory should be a thermapen
    Or, a Thermopop - less expensive. There has been nothing I've cooked on the Egg that the Thermopop and it's 2-3 second reading worked just fine, 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    @Bert2015 You have obviously started using your egg, but if you have a temporary setup, double check that the egg is stable even with the dome open.  You certainly don't won't to break your egg or spill out hot coals.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Bert2015
    Options
    Vol, thanks for heads up. It is temp and it is not greatly stable. Been looking for tables but not found yet what i want. I will see what I can do to make more stable as the cold ones as I am smoking this weekend might make my hands less than stable!!

Thanks for advice on drip pans as well. I have the stainless plate setter and the legs up has a cross ridge that gets pan slightly off the actual metal. But I will heed advice and see if I can go without using pan.

Was stoked to fire up for a pizza for the first time tonight and was reading the pizza thread and someone wrote that they waited a month to get it that hot so as to set the gasket. I guess I will just smoke on it all weekend and then maybe next week go in on the 'za...
  • swordsmn
    Options
    Noone said to abandon the pan,  it was putting liquid in the pan and its evap we were cautioning about..  Step 1 tho, get the egg safe/stable