Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody else smoking a 'tumbled turkey'?

Options
 What is a tumbled turkey, you ask?

It's from our local old timey butcher shop: Los Gatos Meats

It's a pre-injected vacuum-packed marinated turkey. Here's a description from an article: The juicy, tender result of marinating a bird inside a tumbler from which all the air has been removed (which causes the turkey itself to expand a bit and accept more marinade). 
Los Gatos, Ca (Bay Area, Northern California)
Lg. BGE

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Yes, live shot.

Happy Thanksgiving
    Looking forward to pics of your version.  :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Looks horrible.  I'll have to see if I can find one...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Done deal
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Cindysue   welcome to the forum, and that turkey looks spectacular.  yours as well @Focker

Phoenix 
  • Cindysue
    Options
    My turkey went in at 10am. Pics to come. Thanks for the welcome!
    Lg. BGE
  • Cindysue
    Options
    Brandon - that bird looks delish!
    Lg. BGE
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Welcome @Cindysue, looking forward to the pics. I have not heard of a 'Tumbled Turkey"
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Cindysue
    Options

Lg. BGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Cindysue Great looking grub sister.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    Yes, live shot.

Happy Thanksgiving
    Looking forward to pics of your version.  :)
    Love it. Old school. You are a true master of the outdoor cook. I always enjoy seeing the variety you bring. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Spectacular. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Cindysue  Delicious, I bet, but it looks like your turkey got into a c0ckfight, or whatever turkeys do in their spare time. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • gearslut
    Options
    yummmmmmmm Los Gatos Meats.......Yummmmmmmmm......
    Eggon neighbor!!!
  • Cindysue
    Cindysue Posts: 22
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Cindysue  Delicious, I bet, but it looks like your turkey got into a c0ckfight, or whatever turkeys do in their spare time. 
    LOL. Well thats the tumble in tumbled turkey.
    Lg. BGE
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Marinades work, but vacuum tumblers don't

meat (flesh) does not have air holes. It is not a sponge. 

Even if it did, remove the vacuum and the same atmospheric pressure that (hypothetically) allowed the marinade in would squeeze it back out

can't buck science
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Cindysue
    Options
    Marinades work, but vacuum tumblers don't

meat (flesh) does not have air holes. It is not a sponge. 

Even if it did, remove the vacuum and the same atmospheric pressure that (hypothetically) allowed the marinade in would squeeze it back out

can't buck science
    Ok. Good to know.
    In the end, All that matters is it tastes good  =)
    Lg. BGE
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Exactly

i just get mental when they push pseudo science stuff

marinade works. But fleah is simply not going to expand under vacuum. A marshmallow expands under vacuum because there's air entrained in it

remove the vacuum though and they return to size. 

Meat has no entrained air. And the cells are't separate. It's wishful thinking on their part. Approaching fraud actually

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Cindysue
    Options
    Yellow journalism  :s
    Lg. BGE
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Nah

just grumpy

haha

i'm sure on some level it works. just sounds a little "as sold on tv" :)

• Little Steven
    Options
    Nah

just grumpy

haha

i'm sure on some level it works. just sounds a little "as sold on tv" :)

You mean Wolfgang Puck's pressure oven doesn't work either? Nuther 500 bucks shot

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Exactly

i just get mental when they push pseudo science stuff

marinade works. But fleah is simply not going to expand under vacuum. A marshmallow expands under vacuum because there's air entrained in it

remove the vacuum though and they return to size. 

Meat has no entrained air. And the cells are't separate. It's wishful thinking on their part. Approaching fraud actually

Actually, I believe flesh does expand somewhat under a vacuum - see ebullism - but that really does nothing in allowing marinades to really more deeply "moisturize" a turkey.

There have been folks who have done experiments with chicken breasts and they found that marinating in a vacuum only increased marinade absorption by about 1% and in the final cooked product made essentially no difference as compared to normally prepared chicken breasts.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk