Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Late start on the Christmas Roast

Options

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    that's sofia vergara. 

she got married last night, so she and i will have to dial back on the texting.

and perhaps i should change my avatar
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    that's sofia vergara. 

She is one of my favorites =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

@DMW does he like the taste, but maybe wants to switch it up? 

Not sure, I tried to get him to explain when he didn't like (taste/texture), but he wasn't really sure. Hey, he's only 11...

I think the next one I'm just gonna roast it at higher temp and skip the sear and see if he likes that better.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    These things brown so well you can 'sear' at 400 direct and it is a far better looking (golden brown) steak than the wet/grey you get from the fresh stuff

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    Serious question amongst all the jabbing and sarcasm (which is enjoyable in its own right)...

Posted on Nov 22, puts us approx 30 days before Christmas.  Do you feel 30 days is tight to properly dry age to your satisfaction?   I recall 45+ days to be the sweet spot, or am I mistaken?

The only reason I ask is because I was considering DA a roast for the holidays as well, but felt I may have missed the boat already. 

B
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    that's sofia vergara. 

she got married last night, so she and i will have to dial back on the texting.

and perhaps i should change my avatar
    And so you did. Hilarious. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    35 days is shorter than i do for my own stuff, but even if it didn't age, the majority of drying has taken place. 

Dry aging is two totally separate things happening at the same time. Drying. And aging. 

So i'm dumping 20% of weight in flavorless water and that condenses the beef flavor

but i am getting 35 days of aging too, on top of the couple weeks it should have hung already. And i read earlier today (but haven't confirmed) that CAB is also aged a further chunk of time if so that will be a plus

as much grief as i give people here about theirs wives not wanting to see the roast while it ages, there is an aspect of this that is weird to people who don't "get" food or care to think much about it. Read: Some Christmas Dinner Guests

so, i don't push for the full 45 days at Christmas. No one sees the thing before it goes in the BGE, which avoids pesky questions, but invariably someone will say "did you age his one too?" And someone will ask "what do you mean 'age'?"  Hahaha

A little easier to say "oh, about 28 days or so" than "i leave it in the fridge for a month and a half". ;)

wife and I? I go 45 usually

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Oh. And it isn't too late. 28 days is the minimum maybe. Tou may not even like aged beef. But it will dry a bit

even if you only had a week, the surface will dry decently.

You'll never see a better browner roast, crisp fat, etc. than with a slow roasted (untrimmed!) rib eye roast. 

• Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 238
    Options
    Oh. And it isn't too late. 28 days is the minimum maybe. Tou may not even like aged beef. But it will dry a bit

even if you only had a week, the surface will dry decently.

You'll never see a better browner roast, crisp fat, etc. than with a slow roasted (untrimmed!) rib eye roast. 
    Appreciated. 
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I love these threads. When the holidays calm down and the fridge empties I'm hoping to give this a try. I'm saving pickle jars and telling my wife not to freak if she sees a big roast all nekkid in the fridge. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd like to give an update on my science experiment.  Been 4 days.  18.3 pound boneless ribeye is showing drying on the surface.  No weird microbial countries have staked flags on the continent.  Yet.  Kinda looking forward to that. 

I didn't rinse, just pulled it out of the cryowrap and plopped on a wire rack.  I'd post a picture but I'm too embedded in the couch to walk out to the manbearcave bioreactor.
    Options
    What's the maximum temp you would feel comfortable dry aging at?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    39F
    Options
    @nolaegghead muchas gracias
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Put it in the lowest portion of your beer fridge

if you had a meat drawer that would fit the thing, that would be great, because those are generally fed from the freezer side and colder

mid to upper 30s is easy enough in the beer fridge

• MelSharples
    Options
    When you roast it do you cut the bones off and re-tie them to roast or trim them off after cooking?
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Awesome. I've got a little beer fridge that can hold upper 30s. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Why re tie?

i roast it bone in. Beautiful presentation.

then you just carve off the ribs for yourself and slice the rest of it and serve to the poor bastards who don't get to have the ribs. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Bone in always for me.  Bones in reserve for major gnawing!  Then stock.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    One week in.  
    Options
    @nolaegghead - That thing is rotting ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Looks good. I suggest putting it in the fridge now though

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Are you serious?  It's supposed to be refrigerated?!
    Options
    I've been keeping it on my welder!!
    You went boneless?  Looks it. Juat as i threw myself a curve ball by cutting off a four bone roast and exposing a flesh-end to a bit too much drying, i'm wondering about the exposed flesh where your bones had been

will be interesting. 

The membrane on the ribs slows drying a little along the bone side. Plus the thickness of the meat between the ribs

just thinking out loud

the rest of the exterior usually has a nice layer of fat to protect the flesh. Slow drying 

just hoping the (former) bone side doesn't dry too much

keep an eye on it

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I didn't see the bone-in until I was back at Costco today.  The bone-in was about $0.50/lb cheaper.  And I did no trimming on that.  
    Options
    I expect the exposed muscle meat will dry into a jerkey that retards moisture loss.  I have an exact weight from prchase.  I'll weigh it this weekend.
    Yeah

i think you are ok

45-60 days i think you'd want the buffer though 

fvckit. It's still meat

so. Question. Have you actually tried this rancid fetid stuff before? Because you may not care for it.  Has happened! 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I have ordered dry aged at restaurants before.  I loved it.  Love rotten cheese too.