Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Achiote Citrus Marinated chicken with tomatillo salsa

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,987
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
ive been working on this marinade in some form for a few years and I think I finally have it. I start by making Achiote oil:

half cup good EVOO and a tablespoon of Achiote paste (ground Anatto seed- can be found in Mexican grocery stores or on line)

warm the the achiote paste in the oil over med-high until it starts to sizzle a little. You do not want to go too high on the heat or the Achiote will get bitter. I let it sit in there, adjusting heat down as needed,  a few minutes then move it off the heat to cool in the pan. Once cooled, pour through a strainer to get most of the solids out (It's actually fine to leave them in for this marinade but you wouldn't want it in there if you were using it for other things). You should have a beautiful orangey-red very aromatic oil when you are done. 

To make the marinade, I actually make a vinaigrette of sorts as the base. So take your half cup of Achiote oil and add 1/4 cup of white wine vinegar, 1/4 cup of soy sauce or liquid aminos. Then add 6oz of canned pineapple juice (fresh will over tenderize the meat), and the juice of 1/2 lime. Blend on high until an emulsion is formed. 

I I like to marinate overnight with this one and it really seems to add flavor and color to the meat when you give it more time. Once marinated, grill or pan sear, throw it in some tortillas or on top of a salad and add the tomatillo salsa. 

Tomatillo  Salsa: 

1lb tomatillos
1 oz dried red peppers
4 cloves garlic

stem the peppers and toast them in a dry pan over med high heat until blistery and very fragrant (turn your vent on- the fumes will light you up if you get them in your eyes or sinuses). Once toasted move to a bowl and cover with boiling or very hot water for 30 min.

As your peppers are steeping, husk and wash tomatillos, cut in half and place under a hot broiler skin side up. Throw the 4 garlic cloves (with paper skin still on) in there with them. Once they are very blistered up remove from broiler and make sure to reserve any juices in the pan you use. Remove paper from garlic (garlic should be very soft- if not,
let it go until it is)  and throw all the tomatillos (including all the juices from the pan), garlic, and your now softened peppers (not the water they are in, just the peppers) in to a blender and blend until smooth. This is a fiery, smoky, tangy salsa that is good on everything. I make it every week (just used the last bit I had on this cook). 

Hope you guys enjoy. The marinade if really good. Been a long time coming but once I figured the vinaigrette technique using Achiote infused oil it all came together. 

Now for the mismash of out-of-order photos:

after marinating overnight:

Fresh off the egg:

Tacos!

Here are the dried red peppers I use for the salsa. Available at almost any grocery. You can experiment with Ancho (the first pic of the larger dark pepper below) if you like it a little milder or chipotles (not pictured) if you want a smoky kick. As long as you are using 1 oz of dried peppers per 1lb of tomatillos, you can experiment with the peppers all you want

Soy sauce is good but I like liquid aminos these days. Really does not matter 

Enjoy!

Tex 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,236
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Looks really good. Great color. Glad to see you back posting on the forum too...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Spend years developing a recipe, give it away for free. I knew I liked you. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,987
    edited November 2015
    Options

This is the achiote paste I use. Don't think it's brand specific- it's just ground up Anatto seeds. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Spend years developing a recipe, give it away for free. I knew I liked you. 
    Like 10+ years. I seriously just dialed in in last week. The achiote oil was the trick.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Looks really good. Great color. Glad to see you back posting on the forum too...
    Thank you. had a little time off work and have been working on a few things so I thought I should share with the group :)

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Agreed.  Nice to see you showing up again.  Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Bookmarked! I'm gonna try this for sure. Thanks in advance for your hard work. I need to put in some more work on my cochinita pibil. Oh and thanks for not being secret recipe stingy. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Looks solid - thanks for bookmark.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I can tell this is going to kick ass already :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Looks like a winner.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dayumn!  You're a giver!  Thx for the share. Looks and sounds absolutely delicious. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds solid.  Memorized 
    Options
    Mighty fine looking grub brother Tex. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker wanted to let you know that I used your marinade this past weekend for tacos and it was amazing.  Marinated bone-in chicken thighs overnight and cooked them raised direct.  Pulled the meat for tacos and made an extra batch of marinade to let the meat rest in.  Was a big hit with friends that were over.  Honestly best chicken I’ve eaten.  Definitely my go to marinade for chicken now.  Thanks!
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    1WVU said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker wanted to let you know that I used your marinade this past weekend for tacos and it was amazing.  Marinated bone-in chicken thighs overnight and cooked them raised direct.  Pulled the meat for tacos and made an extra batch of marinade to let the meat rest in.  Was a big hit with friends that were over.  Honestly best chicken I’ve eaten.  Definitely my go to marinade for chicken now.  Thanks!
    another oldie but goodie! Glad you enjoyed it. Tons of flavor and color with this one. I need to make it again soon.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I can also see by the first pic that I added a little Mexican Oregano to the marinade that was not mentioned in the recipe. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If you do, a tablespoon will get you there.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    That chicken is GORGEOUS!  It just looks tender and juicy.  Sounds and looks wonderful!