Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Family Night Meatloaf

Options
I have a more detailed post on Meatloaf, but sharing this because if you aren't smoking Meatloaf, you need to be. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Mighty fine looking grub brother. Nicely done. And for both the record and clarity, smoked meatloaf is one of my favorites.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Nice!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,057
    Options
    Nice!  Smoked meatloaf is the only way to go.  :)
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Meatloaf has been one of the biggest surprises coming off the egg. It is so much better than meatloaf out of the oven that I doubt it will ever be cooked inside my house again. Nice job.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Thats looks great.

I did my first fatty last weekend and loved it. Tomorrow I will try a stuffed meatloaf.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I smoked my first meatloaf after reading your post.  All I can say is thank you.

Smoked meatloaf is simply incredible.  I stuffed mine with sharp cheddar and cream cheese, but the flavor of the meat itself is what made it great.

Phoenix 
  • SteelCitySmoke814
    Options
    Sorry for the belated replies, but thank you all for the comments, and glad to hear some of you are/were making it.  Hope it is/was awesome!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great job... Love to do them on the egg
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Tried it but was way too smokey for the wife,  how much wood do you use? I used 4 fist sized apple chunks and cooked at 250.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • SmokingPiney
    Options

@GoldenQ,

Meatloaf readily picks up the smoke. I use one or two small chunks of wood for the smoke. If your wife isn't into the smokiness, skip the wood chunks. It will still pick up a bit of smoky flavor.

This thread convinced me to put a meatloaf or two on the Egg this Friday.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    Tried it but was way too smokey for the wife,  how much wood do you use? I used 4 fist sized apple chunks and cooked at 250.
    That's a lot of smoking wood. I would recommend chips and not a lot. 
  • SteelCitySmoke814
    Options
    @GoldenQ my ballpark rule of thumb is a fist size chunk for every hour I wasn't smoke getting on whatever I'm cooking. Meatloaf (aside from getting crazy with the size) is about 1-1.5 hours so I only throw a single fistful on.