Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Drink Choices?

Options
so, I am having a party this sunday.  Cooking a spatchcock turkey, wings and ribs.  Wanted to do a special bourbon drink.  Any suggestions from Eggers here?

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Buffalo Trace, neat.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Old fashioned and mint julep are a couple of classics.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GRE1
    GRE1 Posts: 68
    Options
    Booker's neat
    XL times 2
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    kentucky mules,  for those that dont like bourbon its easy to change up to a moscow or mexican mule and/or lighten the drink up with tonic water. use real ginger beer, not ginger ale as it has more of a spicy kick
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    +1 on the Old Fashioned. Four Roses Single barrel if neat or on the rocks. Regular Four Roses for the Old Fashioned. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Another rec for the Old Fashioned:

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• oldmandawg
    Options
    Woodford Reserve over ice.
  • Chef_Hobo
    Options
    I'm a fan of either Woodford or Maker's over ice with a splash or two of simple syrup, dash of bitters and a twisted piece of orange peel.  Kind of a lazy man's old fashioned minus the muddled fruit.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    BLT - bourbon, lemon, tonic. Heavy on the bourbon over ice. A splash of tonic water and a squeeze of lemon. You're welcome.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    Options
    upta this summer never had rye, really like how its not so sweat like allot of bourbons but still keeps the similar flavor, i would toss a bottle that out there too,  i like the bulleit rye, no need for me to find a pricier one so i aint looking
    fukahwee maine

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Makers 46, ice and a splash of water.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    My brother made a new one for me, maple bourbon manhattan.  Makers, vermouth, maple syrup, and cherry juice over ice.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Buffalo Trace, neat.
    I like Buffalo Trace on the rocks with a shot of water.  Good bourbon at a great price. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    +1 Kentucky mule

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    best bourbon i ever had was nature boy's, direct from a barrel.  had a hand-written label on the damn thing.  i dunno who ya hafta know to taste test and pick your own bottle, but he did.  and that stuff was fantastic.

always have a standby bottle of woodford's and/or knob creek in the cabinet, but i am not as versed in bourbon as i oughta be.   
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Basil Hayden's and a little ice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • TXsmokin
    Options
     Makers Mark with ice and a splash of water. 
    Fort Worth, TX      
    LG Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis Gasser, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Jumbo Joe

Flame Boss 300, Orange Thermapen (because Orange is the fastest)
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    For a fun drink that both men and women love, try a concoction that we call "Maker Fuzzy".  It's Maker's Mark and PEACH flavored Fresca.  Before you judge, just give it a try.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    for the women try a washington apple with bourbon instead of crown. bourbon and apple puckers with a splash cranberry juice shaken
    fukahwee maine

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Woodford on the rocks (with a lime wedge if necessary) 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    I used to gurgle Wild Turkey in my 20's.  Turkey, Turkey with a Turkey floater, oh sure, some ice.  Tasted great but I would fall down too much.
    Best - Jack
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Depends on your attendees - I think men tend to like the stronger/heavier whiskey drinks more than women do.  If it's hot and you want to do one refreshing drink, I would go with a John Daly - basically an Arnold Palmer (iced tea and lemonade) with spirit added.  Bourbon works really well in this - better than vodka to my taste.

I've had good luck serving a gold rush or a ginger gold rush as well - gold rush is kind of like a whiskey sour, but with bourbon and honey plus the fresh lemon juice.  A ginger gold rush uses ginger liqueur instead of the honey - but buy the Stirrings brand instead of Domaine Canton and save yourself some $$.

Lots of great ideas above as well.
  • beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options

old fashion is my favorite, bulleit rye is good choice.

bourbon wise prefer woodford double oak, angels envy, four roses single barrel, or eagle rare.

Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    Bourbon + lemon juice + simple syrup + mint.  
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like the Manhattan made with bourbon. No need to really splurge on the booze unless you plan to serve neat or on the rocks. I would use JB black for mixed drink with bourbon. The other suggestions above are also great. Just mix up a few different ones and see what you like. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Bulleit (cheap) or Blantons (more expensive) on the rocks is what the menfolk drink around my parts.

I've found that the ladies will go for a Nor'easter if you mix them right.  (The drinks, not the ladies . . .) 

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016278-noreaster

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Buckeye79
    Options
    All this bourbon talk makes me thirsty! Maybe a little Whistle Pig or Jefferson Ocean tonight....
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have been drinking Dickel 12yr. Fairly cheap and as good if not better than the average buffalo trace/makers/bulleit 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options

Kentucky Maid Cocktail Recipe

• Prep Time: 5 minutes
    •  
    • Level of Difficulty: Easy
    •  
    • Serving Size: 1 cocktail

Ingredients

• 2 oz Elijah Craig Bourbon
    • 1 oz fresh lime juice
    • 3/4 oz 1:1 simple syrup
    • 6 fresh mint leaves
    • 3 slices cucumber

Directions

1. Combine ingredients in a shaker tin and muddle.
    2. Shake with ice and dump entire mixture (with ice) into a large rocks glass.
    3. Garnish with a mint, cucumber, and add straw.