Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grass-Fed Brisket

Options
I've been going through Aaron Franklin's book and like it a lot. Question for you guys. Have you ever cooked a grass-fed brisket? If you have, was the flavor good? Franklin discourages using grass-fed cows for brisket, but I already have one on order from my local farmer. I've been getting flats from Costco, but I buy from a local guy now.
Large BGE
Greenville, SC

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I haven't cooked a grass-fed brisket, at least one that wasn't finished on grain, but the reason he would discourage grass fed is really based on the assumption the meat would be relatively lean.

I'd just go for it, maybe apply the Texas crutch at 160 or so when you hit the stall. It should be fine.  If it doesn't turn out good, consider braising the next one slowly.
    Options
    I did one.  It was way too lean.  Probably three slices were edible where it had some fat.  The rest was like jerky.

Irmo, SC  LBGE and MiniMax

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Thanks @nolaegghead and @omigosh. I appreciate the speedy feedback. I didn't want to braise if I could help it. I was able to cancel my full packer order with my farmer since he hasn't taken the cow to be processed yet. Is there any cut of pure grass-fed that would be a good candidate for low and slow?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have done very lean cuts low and slow in sous vide with excellent results.  I would say short (plate) ribs which are naturally super fatty and should be just slightly fatty but still fatty in grass fed, or cheeks....maybe chuck.   The butcher may help you out here if you ask him.
    Options
    Thanks again, @nolaegghead. I have a few chuck roasts in the freezer, so I'll give one a try. I also have some ribs I can try. Pretty booked up this week, so it'll be next week. The brisket was due to be here next week. The Texas Post Oak from Fruita arrived today, so I'm itchin to smoke something.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options

I tried a grass-finished brisket flat and it was a complete fail. I've only done one brisket prior, so I'm not one to give advice on briskets.

As far as grass-finished beef goes, Tri-tip is awesome...

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @stemc33, I appreciate the input. We don't see tri-tips much around here, but I am sure my guy can get that cut for me. Been wanting to try one. Everything we get from him is fantastic, but didn't know that grass-fed brisket was not a good choice. You live and learn, lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    @Dredger - Sister, the debate between grass fed vs grain fed usually comes down to acquired taste. What one has ate most of their life and developed a taste for. With that said, grain fed or at least grain finished beef is far and away the most common. As such, most prefer it as its what they are accustom to eating. But there are folks who prefer grass fed. If you know anyone who pasture raises their own beef, there is a real good chance that they prefer grass fed as its what they are accustom to. The biggest thing that stands out is the marbling. Simply put, grass fed is leaner meat. Thus it can be a little dryer than grain fed when cooked identical. However grass fed has a unique taste. Some folks love it, some don't. I actually like it myself, but I'm kind of glutton so take that into account. However I recommend that you at least try it. You never know, you may  love it. I do prefer grain fed or at least grain finished beef personally. However I won't turn down grass fed either. In the end it's either a aquired taste or personal preference. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @SGH. Thinking back, every steak and roast we have gotten from him has been extremely tender and the flavor is great. Aaron Franklin discouraged using grass-fed mostly due to the "funky, herbaceous and beastly flavor" produced by the low and slow cooking method. I just wanted to know if anyone else had that flavor profile from a grass-fed whole packer. My farmer usually separates the point from the flat, so I'll see what he has on hand now and give it a go to see what it tastes like.  If it's good, I'll order a packer. Pics to follow, probably next week.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    You are getting a lot of great advice here.  I agree that the grass feed brisket may be a little line, but if the whole packer was cooked together it may help it some.  If you like the flavor then it may be worth a try if it isn't to badly priced per pound.  I for one prefer my beef to be finished on grain to get the sweeter flavor and more marbling, not a fan of grass feed beef.  Buffalo's are usually leaner and I would like to try a brisket from one of them some time.  Yes @SGH is said buffalo.  ;)=)
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    Options
      Buffalo's are usually leaner and I would like to try a brisket from one of them some time.  
    If I find out that you have been eating buffalo, we will no longer be friends ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    You know I'm only kidding above. 

Status- Standing by.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    if the butchers cutting it, get the point to try over the flat.  ill take grass fed over grain fed or finished anyday
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    Options
    if the butchers cutting it, get the point to try over the flat.  ill take grass fed over grain fed or finished anyday
    @Dredger  See^^^^^^^^^^^^^. It's a matter of personal taste. 

Status- Standing by.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Dredger  See^^^^^^^^^^^^^. It's a matter of personal taste. 
    my biggest disappointment with buffalo is it tastes like watered down cornfed beef. =)   with the grass fed the flavor profile changes and isnt consistant, but i enjoy the fact that theres some flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've done a few grass fed briskets. Granted, they were about 7lb packers after trimming. Yeah, you read that right. 7lbs. Young cows and they were tender as could be. Not sure how well a 12+ lber would be.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dredger
    Options
    @SGH, you are right. Everything he has provided has been exceptional regarding texture and flavor, so I am sure his brisket will be too. He's checking to see what he has in stock and we'll pick it up this afternoon. It'll probably be Saturday before I have time to do the cook. I really appreciate the advice everyone has provided and I'll report back on how it turns out.

@Ladeback69, the price isn't too bad at $6.95 per pound for grass-fed. I prefer to support local farmers and I want this guy to stay in business. lol.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    Options
    Update: All he had was a flat that was a little over 2 pounds, so we took it. We also found a flat in the freezer that we had gotten at Costco, which was a little over 5 pounds, so we cooked them both. As promised - pics.

Fire in the hole!

Now, we wait.

We had a slight problem with the new Maverick's grill thermo. We stayed around 250 degrees the whole time, not 358.

We've got bark!

Flavor of both was outstanding and we will do this again, but with a full packer. Thanks, everyone for your advice and suggestions. We really appreciate it. Tonight, we will use some of the left overs to make burritos.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Killer thread and cook! I learned much and I know what to and when to do it.
    thank you so much, the images are awesome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dredger
    Options
    You're welcome @YukonRon, but all of the credit goes to the awesome gang here helping a sister out, lol. Hubby and I spent a lot of time also viewing Aaron Franklin's videos and that helped too. I felt like a proud momma when we pulled those babies off. Thanks for the comment about the pictures. I'm not the best photographer, but I'm working on it.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • MelSharples
    Options
    So could you tell the difference between the 2? Obviously, a sampling size of 1 would not tell the whole story but I'm curious to know your opinion. BTW, I have the same SC thermal cup, hope it doesn't develop the dreaded white haze like mine!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So could you tell the difference between the 2? Obviously, a sampling size of 1 would not tell the whole story but I'm curious to know your opinion. BTW, I have the same SC thermal cup, hope it doesn't develop the dreaded white haze like mine!
    Can't wash this in the dishwasher if yu don't want the haze.  The compounds in dishwasher soap packets to scrub your plates clean will etch the material...

We eat many grass fed for the better Omega 3 profile versus Omega 6 profile of grain fed, and I love the flavor of grass fed, but all other things being equal it is not as tender due to how lean it is.
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options

My first brisket was grass-fed. Post here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183096/brisket#latest

It was perfect, juicy and delicious.  Second was not grass-fed and it was pretty dry.  With brisket it is hard to pin-point any one factor in my view.

Toronto ON
  • Dredger
    Options
    @MelSharples, I thought the flavor of the grass-fed was superior over the Costco, but not sure if it is because I am accustomed to the flavor. That's all we have eaten for over a year. We are ordering a full packer from our guy today, so I'll report back. Both were a little dry, but we didn't spritz or wrap since they were flats and weren't sure if we needed to, but we will the next time, but overall very good flavor on both, we just preferred the grass-fed taste. Love the SC thermo cups and I agree with @Spaightlabs about the hand wash only. Interestingly enough, his beef is always very tender and he says he gives them minerals prior to taking them to slaughter, so I guess that makes a difference. Don't know, but it's always good. We do a lot of different types of roasts and they comes out of the package feeling like butter every time. Feeling fortunate.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks for that link @Simcan. I'm not sure how I missed it and it didn't show up when I was searching. That is one fantastic cook and we're looking forward to doing our first packer. I know that each brisket will be different, but approximately how long did that one take?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    Hi @Dredger.  Sorry, but I don't really remember specifics and did not post them at the time.  I think it was six hours or so to 171, held the stall for about two hours, then as it broke I wrapped it with a variant on "Rick's Sinful Marinade" which took another 1.5 hours or so to 203. About ten hours all in.  (I think!)
    Toronto ON
  • Dredger
    Options
    Thanks @Simcan, I appreciate that. I talked to my guy and he'll pick up from the processing plant next week. Excited!
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    Options
    @Dredger
    It looks spectacular sister. Awesome job.

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks great!  How do you like the Smoke Vault?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dredger
    Options
    Thank you so much @SGH, your advice was much appreciated and you were so right about it being a matter of personal taste preferences. Grass-fed has been our choice for some time now and we are lucky to have such a reliable supplier in Satterfield Farms. This was the longest cook that we have done and it was an enjoyable, lazy day hanging out on the deck babysitting the cook and sipping on our favorite beverages. We need to slow down more often and smell the roses..., er smoke.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC