Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Options

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    blasting said:
    Hi @Thatgrimguy  - which model did you go with?  
    Expedition 3x. I'm wishing I had gone with a lighter 2x that doesn't put out so much heat. But I tend to have the Tim the ToolMan Taylor approach to buying things. MORE POWER.  On a plus side I'll be able to deep fry, wok or boil small loads of crawfish with no problem.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    blasting said:
    Expedition 3x. I'm wishing I had gone with a lighter 2x that doesn't put out so much heat. But I tend to have the Tim the ToolMan Taylor approach to buying things. MORE POWER.  On a plus side I'll be able to deep fry, wok or boil small loads of crawfish with no problem.
    That looks to be a perfect combination unit for camping.  I see why you chose it - enjoy.  

Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2015
    Options
    blasting said:
    blasting said:
    That looks to be a perfect combination unit for camping.  I see why you chose it - enjoy.  

Thank you, between it and my small XL. There is nothing I can't do in the RV that I can do at home. I do a lot of the prep at home to make it easier though. Especially any casserole or bread.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Your campchef looks awesome!  Great for your RV!  Grats!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy how even is the heat? I was just wondering because the burners being different then the black stone. I would also like it because of the flexibility and being able to  carrying around. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy that's the model we got too. We also got the pizza oven that covers two burners like the griddle. That bad boy gets really hot really fast. Gotta remember to take pics next time we use it. Anxiously waiting for delivery of wok rings so we can use our round bottom woks on it.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    texaswig said:
    @Thatgrimguy how even is the heat? I was just wondering because the burners being different then the black stone. I would also like it because of the flexibility and being able to  carrying around. 
    The heat is very even it seems. I loaded it up with bacon and it did better than the BS. Down side is you don't have as many heat zones as you do in the BS, something I have come to use to my advantage.  Also the surface of this griddle isn't as nice as my Blackstone. It's a rougher surface that seems to want to tear up my paper towels. 

It's still pretty bulky. I bought it on impulse, online, and a few whiskeys in. Didn't think to measure to make sure it would fit into my RV storage bays. Going to be interesting today when I leave the campground to see where/if I can make it fit that my wife will actually let me keep it. (I would just stick it inside for travel and pull it out at nights, she isn't going to let that fly though)

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Breakfast this morning...

Love the way it does over medium eggs....

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Still need to get some good spatulas though.  The ones I have "work" and I think that is my struggle.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    Options
    Still need to get some good spatulas though.  The ones I have "work" and I think that is my struggle.  
    Did your order the turners that I linked you?
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Did your order the turners that I linked you?
    Not yet.. I need to though. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @tarheelmatt - You need to change your permissions on the google pics, they aren't publicly viewable.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • texaswig
    Options
    At a friend's house on his griddle. Pierogies and Grill cheese on sourdough. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    DMW said:
    @tarheelmatt - You need to change your permissions on the google pics, they aren't publicly viewable.

Hmm... That's weird.  I didn't change any settings.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I didn't want y'all to get too far ahead of me with the Blackstone Griddle so I bought one today.  I may be trying it out tomorrow after the assembly and seasoning.  Got the cover too.  May get the accessory pack if I can find it.  No use cutting corners now.

Neighbor loves his, and Hotch has become a one-man sales force for Blackstone...  

The worst that can happen is I gain a few more pounds.  The best that can happen is I gain those pounds happily...

Spring "All My Money Is Invested In Cookery And None In Stuff To Cook" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

Welcome!
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • cazzy
    Options
    I didn't want y'all to get too far ahead of me with the Blackstone Griddle so I bought one today.  I may be trying it out tomorrow after the assembly and seasoning.  Got the cover too.  May get the accessory pack if I can find it.  No use cutting corners now.

Neighbor loves his, and Hotch has become a one-man sales force for Blackstone...  

The worst that can happen is I gain a few more pounds.  The best that can happen is I gain those pounds happily...

Spring "All My Money Is Invested In Cookery And None In Stuff To Cook" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

Don't get the Blackstone Accessory Kit...it's junk.  You'd be better off visiting Ace Mart or Restaurant Depot.  Dexter Russell makes some great turners...which are sold at Ace Mart in Houston.  They have squirt bottles too.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    texaswig said:
    At a friend's house on his griddle. Pierogies and Grill cheese on sourdough. 
    Looks awesome! I need to try those. Never had a "pierogie" had to google them.  What type of filling did ya'll use?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I made some Monte Cristo's tonight and actually thought to take pictures!

French Toast

Boar's Head Smoked Ham and Swiss cheese

After one side is done on the french toast you add the ham and swiss to the done sides and close up the sandwich then cook both sides like a grilled cheese.

Then plate with powdered sugar!

And after a good meal, you play with your rug rat! My 5 month old daughter.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Got the Expedition 3x for the camper to fit perfectly in one of my storage bays by the way. And now I'm thrilled to have this one. I do wish the finish on the Camp Chef griddle was nice and smooth like my blackstone. I may see about getting someone to grind on it for me.

Griddle is covered in a different bay.

Made some great breakfast burritos with it before leaving camp.

• texaswig
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy they are just potato. It's was this brand. We get them at Walmart. Cooked with onions and butter. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • jonnymack
    Options
    I love Pierogies, I lament the South does not know the greatness. One of the (very) few things I miss about my hometown of Cleveland.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    I love Pierogies, I lament the South does not know the greatness. One of the (very) few things I miss about my hometown of Cleveland.
    I guess they're like grits in the North.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    texaswig said:
    @Thatgrimguy they are just potato. It's was this brand. We get them at Walmart. Cooked with onions and butter. 

I bet this are great deep fried.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • blasting
    Options
    I grew up on real, home made perogies.  mmmm, love them.
    Phoenix 
  • jonnymack
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    I guess they're like grits in the North.
    Yup, great analogy.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• texaswig
    Options
    @Hotch they are that's way we eat them most. I seen on a food show the other day someone made nachos from some. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • blasting
    Options
    I like'em boiled, then finished in a pan of butter, sausage and onions.

The Russian / Mennonite version called Vereneke is also very good.  These traditionally have a cottage cheese filling, or fruit.  Plum Vereneke are great.  (vereneke you wouldn't finish as I described above) 
    Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My wife used to buy the Mrs. T's in GA all the time.  I know the local/home made aren't that popular but you can find the frozen ones.  I like them...but they are basically just mashed tater ravioli.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    First Cook on my Blackstone Grill - Outstanding

I'll have to give Hotch credit for putting me (and about a million other people) onto the Blackstone Grill. I'd never heard of it until he began posting photos and telling stories of what he was cooking on his Blackstone Grill. 

The more I saw, the more I thought I wanted one. Then right after the Coop Party, Neighbor Tom, aka Lucky Mon, got one for his birthday to go along with his two Eggs and gas grill. 

He instantly took a liking to it, cooking on it every day. 

So that was enough to make me go buy one. 

I assembled it today, seasoned it today and cooked a really delicious dinner on it today. I could not be more pleased with my decision to buy one. 

Here's the video of today's cook. 

https://youtu.be/yvsBacE8DoU 

Not only does the Blackstone Grill cook food on its own, but I'm thinking I need to try using it for the searing process after I cook something in my Sous Vide Immersion Cooker. It can't help but be a good thing. 

I'm sure to be posting more cooks about this new cooker. 

Spring "Happy Griddler" Chicken 
    Spring Texas USA