Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

looking for an inexpensive blower device for stoking a beginning fire

Options

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Just checking in, this site is truly kinder and gentler for this topic not to have went viral on a Friday night. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Just checking in, this site is truly kinder and gentler for this topic not to have went viral on a Friday night. 
    We respect Ron too much to blow up his thread. I know I do. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @pgprescott ... just checked your facebook page and noticed that you carry the BBQ Dragon as well.  Have you used it at home?
    I have only used it at a demo in Nashville and fooled around with them at the store. They worked great at the demo for kamados, kettles, and fire pits. I have been meaning to bring one home for a month or better now but just haven't done it. I use a nest and would clamp it to the nest leg and blow through the lower vent, but I have seen others use from the top as well. I would only use it to sped up the lighting process for high temp cooks. The fan is variable speed and they have a rechargeable battery kit available. 
  • Angus1978
    Options
    I got a BBQ Dragon today.   I'm very pleased. Should have gotten one a year ago. 
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Angus1978
    Options
    In a related note. You guys cost me money
  • Angus1978
    Options
    In similar news I have no kids and the wife and I both work. 

Ill shut up now.   The bourbon started typing. =)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @pgprescott ... I thought about one, but still haven't pulled the trigger.  Lots of new stuff charges via a USB port, but somehow that seems like a strange application on a BBQ blower. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @pgprescott ... I thought about one, but still haven't pulled the trigger.  Lots of new stuff charges via a USB port, but somehow that seems like a strange application on a BBQ blower. 
    @Jeepster47, yeah, I have to agree with you on that one. That rechargeable kit is an add  on. I'll let you know what I think when I get it home and put it through the paces. 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    The Weber Chimney and a SINGLE starter cube work wonders.   I'm sure to melt the handles sooner than later.   
    Give it 5 minutes to get going and another 5 to reach 'inferno' level.   I spread the coals out using the ash tool (handle is long enough) than add additional charcoal to top-up the load.   Another 10 minutes and It is CRANKING.  

Don't forget the INSULAGED GLOVES.   
  • gerhardk
    Options
    I have a hairdryer where the heating element blew out to get the fire going, it only takes minutes to get a raging fire out of a few glowing charcoal lumps.  The other thing to consider might be a bellows from a fireplace store.

Gerhard
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    GaryDZ said:

Funny you posted this today.... I had the same thoughts to help mature the coals without blowing everything around.     

I just made one out of a 12v computer fan and a piece of metal....  I had both laying around.  I hooked it up to a 9v DC power supply, left over from some electronic thing.    The metal band can slide in to about where it is---4" away and can slide out to about 9" away.   The lower voltage helps keep the speed down.    It has a nice gentle breeze.  

I will be trying it out later tonight and let you know.

I like that!

That's only thing that's kind of deceptive about the product.  It says "Hands Free & Rechargeable" on the front of the box, but it's not rechargeable as is.  On the back it says you have to use NiMh batteries and USB charger.  Maybe 'deceptive' is the wrong word, but ANY battery powered item could be labeled "rechargeable" if used you provide your own rechargeable batteries and charger.  All this thing does is give you a USB port so that you don't have to take the batteries out to charge them.  Not a bad idea, just advertised wrong IMHO.

I've been using mine for about 3 months now and just replaced the 4x AA batteries not too long ago.  I would say run time was an hour or two cumulatively.  I don't really see a need to recharge the thing since it lasts a long time on non-rechargeable batteries. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    RRP said:
    For years I used one of these hand cranked blowers or battery powered fans to stoke my fire from on high since I don't have electricity readily available close to my eggs. Trouble is the plastic fan burnt out and Walgreens doesn't carry them anymore. The hand crank works for just a  short while and I go through one a year as the gears inside are wimpy plastic. Does anybody know a source for similar devices? I tried fireplace bellows once and did not like the results. TIA

Too frugal to pay an electrician Ron? I use a floor fan most often. It can be placed a long way from the egg and still work.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SidZer0
    Options

Place exhaust 12-24" away...works like a champ.  I vacuum out the egg before every cook so it's a multitasker.

Jax, FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Wife's old hand held hair dryer, duct tape, you are done!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm cheap.  B)  Well not too cheap I have a Stoker. 

LOL - wrong end! ...
    Okay, @RRP, fair enough, but @NPHuskerFL, please, no selfie of the 'right end'.  :grimacing:   (sry, couldn't resist)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    Options
    Ron, I know you weren’t necessarily soliciting methods of lighting your fire, but, for what it’s worth, I get 5 minute results every time using 1 paper towel and vegetable oil, and letting my electric blower motor do the venting:

I apply 6 solid dabs of old oil I keep under the table…basically saturating the paper towel:

Then I place what is now essentially an oil candle at the base of the pit:

Stack my lump up high around the soaked towel and light it:

I walk away for five minutes, then spread out the, glowing lit lump, drop the dome and let the blower do its thing:

I certainly didn’t invent the lighting method. It's never failed me. The key is don’t be shy with the veggie oil.

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • FiAirChief
    Options
    I had hoped to leave a comment on Sept 4 when this thread was fresh, but I had to register and wait for approval. I can see this is an active and fun forum and am happy to participate.

My thanks to Johnkitchens and Ron for recommending FiAir.

So much to talk about. Where to begin? 
    In this reply, I'll focus on topics from this thread: FiAir vs BBQ Dragon, FiAir vs Wrong Tool for the Job and FiAir with a Chimney Starter.

FiAir vs BBQ Dragon
    These are two different approaches to the same problem.
    We designed FiAir to be a simple, low tech portable solution to starting and sustaining fires. This means there's very little to go wrong. So, once it works - it works.

When we contrast that with BBQ Dragon, we see a blower head, long gooseneck, circuit board, rheostat, USB port and, of course, the heavy duty clamp and handle. All of these components add to cost and opportunities for breakage or failure.

The biggest difference being in the realm of safety.
    We just don't believe it's ever a good idea to leave a fire unattended while being stoked. We even designed FiAir with a momentary switch so it shuts off automatically if dropped -- so it doesn't continue blowing and present a real potential danger.

The next obvious difference is size and weight: Portability
    At 9.2" and just 5.6 ounces, FiAir is the first and only truly portable battery powered blower for wood and charcoal fires. I couldn't find the size and weight of the Dragon on their site, but one looks says anything but Portable.
    BTW - FiAir's hand-held, inline point-n-shoot Design was recently awarded a Patent by USPTO.

BBQ Dragon says you can cook in 10 minutes. FiAir says 8-12 minutes.
    Choose your price point and cooking style.
    After all that, here's a smile and a nod to our friendly competitors, the Prior Brothers, at BBQ Dragon:-)  The fact that both products are selling well is an indication of the number of people who want real control over their fires. 

FiAir vs Wrong Tool for the Job
    I'm always entertained when I read about alternatives people have tried. I am one of you. I tried most of what i read. But I finally couldn't help myself from doing something about it.

Let's face it. At one time or another we've all used a shoe to hammer a nail, a coin to turn a screw or coat hanger to scratch an itch. It might be a struggle, but it often works. All this has taught us is that, while it may be possible to use a substitute, there's nothing quite like using the Right Tool for the Job.

We believe FiAir is the right new fire tool that goes wherever you need to build your fires. Whether it's the BGE on your patio, in your bedroom fireplace or a backwoods campfire.

FiAir with a Chimney Starter
    Once i had my prototype and new it worked, I bought a 27" Weber and a Chimney. I knew it usually takes about 15 minutes for the chimney to be ready to dump and was naturally curious how much faster I could dump if I blew FiAir through the chimney's holes. I have a video that shows the time cut in half — just 7.5 minutes, then add more coals and still cooking in 12 minutes: https://youtu.be/7JT1DNVOAjQ. These days I usually dump in 6 minutes or so (mostly because I'm not talking so much).
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I use this.  Then I blow the leaves and ash off the patio.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Plutonium
    Options
    I use an electric starter and occasionally will plug in one of these if I need to help it out:

Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• FiAirChief
    Options
    I use this.  Then I blow the leaves and ash off the patio.

How well I know! :-)
    I really had tried most everything before deciding to develop FiAir.

After hyperventilating trying to start our bedroom fireplace, I resorted to a hair dryer. Luckily, the AC cord just reached. High was overkill and did blow some ashes around. Low was better and worked well. That's what made me make FiAir. But I wanted No Handle and it had to be battery powered, ergonomic, compact and lightweight. And just the right power for fires.

I don't know if you're joking, but one Fall my neighbor was having trouble starting his grill. I happened to be using my leaf blower and took it over to give it a try. Talk about overkill! You have to stand very far away and try to hit your target. We laughed a lot. I was just picturing trying it inside with a fireplace...

And both are less than ergonomic and certainly not portable.

To me, these alternative approaches come under Wrong Tool For The Job.
    If you ever decide to try the right tool designed specifically for fires, give FiAir a try. I think you'll really like the speed and control you'll have.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat :-)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    @FiAirChief - welcome aboard! Care to clear up the misconception about your unit being variable speed which it is not?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • FiAirChief
    Options

News2u said:
    Ron, I know you weren’t necessarily soliciting methods of lighting your fire, but, for what it’s worth, I get 5 minute results every time using 1 paper towel and vegetable oil, and letting my electric blower motor do the venting:

I apply 6 solid dabs of old oil I keep under the table…basically saturating the paper towel:

Then I place what is now essentially an oil candle at the base of the pit:

Stack my lump up high around the soaked towel and light it:

I walk away for five minutes, then spread out the, glowing lit lump, drop the dome and let the blower do its thing:

I certainly didn’t invent the lighting method. It's never failed me. The key is don’t be shy with the veggie oil.

News2u --
    Because FiAir is a blower and doesn't create the flame, I'm always looking for different ways to light the coals. I'll have to do a video using your suggestion, but I'll use my FiAir since I don't have an electric Pit Viper or AC outlet near my grill. I'll post the video once I get to it.

Thanks for the tip.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I got pretty excited about the hand-crank model (I prefer hand tools in woodworking and the kitchen) but hate junk that breaks right away, a no-go.   
    The handheld, battery-operated device I got from Amazon is no longer on the site, and was pretty much worthless.
    The FiAir looks like what I was hoping for, thanks for the writeup FiAir Chief, just bought one!

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RRP
    Options
    Botch said:

The FiAir looks like what I was hoping for, thanks for the writeup FiAir Chief, just bought one!

You won't be sorry! I love mine!

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I was wondering what is wrong with the Coleman mattress pump? It's under $16 at Walmart and uses 4d batteries so I am sure it's way more powerful and the batteries last a long time. I have had mine several years and don't remember changing the batteries actually and that includes camping trips and pool days for floats and air mattresses.
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Weber compact chimney starter $14. Light it and walk away Because I got better stuff to do than blow the fire  =)

LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)
  • RRP
    Options
    Lit said:
    I was wondering what is wrong with the Coleman mattress pump? It's under $16 at Walmart and uses 4d batteries so I am sure it's way more powerful and the batteries last a long time. I have had mine several years and don't remember changing the batteries actually and that includes camping trips and pool days for floats and air mattresses.
    I'm sure your pump works great for what it was designed to do. I mean you have 4 D size batteries providing more blasting power than the much less powerful 3 AAA batteries in the light weight, easy to hold FiAir. Unless you use some sort of hose extension I bet your pump gets sort of heavy holding it at various distances so as not to     blow sparks all over. 
    With several cooks worth of experience now I honestly feel this FiAir has the more subdued power I like so as to finesse a growing bed of hot coals rather than do a powerful blast of uncontrollable air. But as always...to each his own.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @rrp the Coleman is 4.75"•7" it's really pretty small and is really easy to hold. I have never had an issue holding something up that weighs around a pound. It works perfect holding it right at the opening of the egg. I would say it puts out the same air flow as a hair dryer on high.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thank you @Lit. A lite weight FiAir will never be compared to your Coleman of putting "out the same air flow as a hair dryer on high". You like yours and I like mine. Peace, bro?