Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's wrong with briquettes?

Options
I have found lump to be inconsistent. Big pieces, little pieces, tiny pieces, dust. What's wrong with briquettes? They are consistent, have an even heat, and  you don't have to worry as much about VOC's, etc. I've used them in a pinch and they seem to be as good or better than lump.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    Nothing artificial....briquettes to lump is a good cigar to a cigarette...inconsistent lump size does not bother me, I'll use briquettes on my Ca Ja China 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Briquettes typically are less flavor neutral than lump and have filler that leads to ash and airflow problems.

nothing is wrong with them, most prefer lump for flavor, higher heat capabilities and limited ash
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nothing.
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Many use them regularly depending on need.  Certainly no harm in it. But there is more ash. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Agree to the above and you don't want to use the ones that have lighter fluid in them.  Briquettes are pieces that have been put back together and who knows what they have added to keep them together.  I would use them in a Weber kettle or smokey joe,  but not in my egg.  I haven't bought a bag in years.  I always use lump in my Egg and WSM.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    In my WSM days, I used nothing but briquettes and they worked just fine.
    Now I use nothing but lump, higher temps (if I need it), a lot less ash and I just like it better now.  I'd have no problems using briquettes in a pinch though.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Nothing.
    Hey we agree!  Who wudda thunk dat?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    the only real issue is ash.  a decent bit more than lump.  and that could choke airflow.

the extra ash (in addition to the charcoal itself) comes from the binder, which is inert stuff like clay or cornstarch.  there's a decent amount of binder added.

there are no evil "chemicals" in these these beyond the same lump you use, pulverized, and held together with binder.  some briquettes DO have lighter fluid in them, which is not good (for the BGE).  but as for chemicals (and we all know how bad 'chemicals!' are), there aren't any to worry about.  i mean, other than the far more dangerous stuff produced by burning charcoal.

you may find it hard to get rip roaring hot, because their very reason for being invented was to make a unit that burnt consistently and evenly in an open air situation.  since we can control temps with regular lump (BGEs are  airtight), we don't really need that even heat.

but i bet for somethng where the dome is up, and burning for a long time (like paella, burgers, etc., briquettes might have an edge.  shut the lower vents and let the stuff burn from the open dome
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Competition Charcoal by Kingsford, is ok. I use it in the Webber. Thus far, I have only used lump in the BGEs.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    How is ash that bad if you can maintain your temps?  "Holy sheet!  I threw out my back toting 16 oz of ash....if I would've just used lump...it would have been 4 oz.  OH THE HUMANITY!!" 

Answer.  It's not that big a deal.  Unless you pull the southern crypt method and never clean it all out.
    Options
    The one thing that drew me to the egg was cooking with wood. I always  loved food cooked over a wood fire. To me briquettes  always tasted like fuel. 
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I can still remember using briquettes. Wait an hour for them to get semi-hot. Spend forever cooking on them. Pull the food off the grill to only find out they were finally hot. I'll take the inconsistency of lump and have a hot fire ready to cook on in 15 minutes. During that 15 minutes I'm inside doing prep work.
  • shadowrider
    Options
    I also use BGE/RO pretty exclusively so far but I'm new to the BGE too.  It's the only one available in my area except for Cowboy and maybe a couple others that everyone says to avoid like the plague.  

I'd really like to try Rockwood but it's not available here and I'd never even heard of it until I found this forum.  Kind of irritating since I share a state line with where it's made.  I think it would be better for controlling the wood flavor in low and slows but BGE/RO is tasting pretty good on everything I've done so far so I'm happy.

As far as briquettes I don't see the need.  Less heat, lower burn time, can't re-use the leftover well and more ash.  If that's all you can get I don't see anything wrong with it, but I'm sticking with lump.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ash from briquettes will clog the big green egg on anything but a short cook. I still like low and slow, 16 hour cook ain't going to happen with briquettes because of ash build up.

Maybe I should have added cooking temperatures also.

Try and hit 600 degrees for any length of time with briquettes.

Also I am certain you can get higher temps with lump then briquettes if that is needed for a cook.

All of the above is a result of to much ash build up.

I will agree in a pinch use what you got, otherwise use lump.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Someone about 20 years ago posted that briquettes were for sissy's... I just didn't want to be part of that.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • air1keh
    air1keh Posts: 18
    Options
    This is what Kingsford is made from:  KINGSFORD charcoal is manufactured from wood charcoal, anthracite coal, mineral charcoal, starch, sodium nitrate, limestone, sawdust, and borax. 

Personally I have no interest in cooking with or exposing my food to anthracite coal or sodium nitrate. I get that it may be in small quantities and is "not harmful" but why go that route if there is good quality lump out there that can provide some decent flavor.
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    I had some briquettes left from weber kettle I used as a portable.  I've been using them mixed in with my lump to us them up.  They do fine mixed with the lump.  I'm guessing I'm getting some heat out of them, but at the least I'm getting them out of my way :)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    pizza ovens in NYC have been coal fired for a hundred years, and coal has been a source of fuel for cooking in america for probably longer than it hasn't.

non issue.

the nitrate is already in the lump anyway.  smoke ring anyone?

it's the sawdust (non-issue), borax (harmless), starch (harmless) which contribute so much ash that make long cooks a potential issue but, yes, Nola, if you can control the temps, fine)

the rest of it is just people bein scared a' what they dunno

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options
    Someone about 20 years ago posted that briquettes were for sissy's... I just didn't want to be part of that.  
    Well...real men make their own lump charcoal.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Funny how some of you eat pounds of red meat and drink gallons of beer a day, then say you're concerned with the chemicals found in briquettes lol.   ;)
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I also use BGE/RO pretty exclusively so far but I'm new to the BGE too.  It's the only one available in my area except for Cowboy and maybe a couple others that everyone says to avoid like the plague.  

I'd really like to try Rockwood but it's not available here and I'd never even heard of it until I found this forum.  Kind of irritating since I share a state line with where it's made.  I think it would be better for controlling the wood flavor in low and slows but BGE/RO is tasting pretty good on everything I've done so far so I'm happy.

As far as briquettes I don't see the need.  Less heat, lower burn time, can't re-use the leftover well and more ash.  If that's all you can get I don't see anything wrong with it, but I'm sticking with lump.
    @shadowrider, you do know that BGE is basically RO?  So if you like like RO just buy it, it is cheaper.  Rockwood is made in St Louis, what state do you live in, because I believe they sell in all the states around Missouri?  @stlcharcoal that is correct, right?  It's good stuff IMHO.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Well...real men make their own lump charcoal.
    Does rolling coal count?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • LincolnPark_Egghead
    Options
    I've mostly used briquettes. I've been doing a lot of pizza cooks (650+) and found that for the price, briquettes performed very well. I've used Kingsford blue bag as well as Kingsford Lump briquettes. 

All of the comments about ash are spot on. But at 2/3rd the price of lump, its a trade off I'm willing to make. 
    Large BGE, Chicago, IL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options

air1keh said:
    This is what Kingsford is made from:  KINGSFORD charcoal is manufactured from wood charcoal, anthracite coal, mineral charcoal, starch, sodium nitrate, limestone, sawdust, and borax. 

Personally I have no interest in cooking with or exposing my food to anthracite coal or sodium nitrate. I get that it may be in small quantities and is "not harmful" but why go that route if there is good quality lump out there that can provide some decent flavor.
    Those are all natural ingredients. If you eat any cured meats you are consuming far more nitrates than you might get from cooking over Kingsford.

Kingsford gives a much better smoke ring than most lump (perhaps that is what the sodium nitrate is in their to help with??).

Most people talk about the "best" lump being neutral in flavor so I'm not sure how a neutral fuel source then imparts "decent flavor".

Especially, since so many folks use rubs, sauces, glazes, add flavor woods to the fire, etc., etc.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people in blind taste testing could not reliably determine what the source of fuel was - lump, Kingsford, propane/NG - or even the type of grill/cooker used for something cooked by an otherwise competent chef.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    You can tell Kingsford vs lump.  
    There are cooks like traditional BBQ and burgers, that I prefer the flavor, and longer, steadier, heat from briquettes. 

Stacks of both are in the charcoal warehouse. (shed)

The health risk argument is ugh, so weak.    

It baffles me, with the amount of people here, who look at learning in a one way, linear, fashion.  And then, bash something that they never quite grasped, or even had experience with.  When those peeps would flounder, without their Thermapen, Guru, Rockwood, commercial rubs, BGE, etc etc. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    @HeavyG re: " If you eat any cured meats you are consuming far more nitrates than you might get from cooking over Kingsford"

i'll go one better.  if you opt to have a nice spinach salad, you've just had more nitrate than if you had a package of bacon.  celery, beets, spinach, all very high in nitrates.

in fact, people think they are being healthy by buying "no artificial nitrates added" bacon at whole foods.  it's cured with celery powder instead.  why? because it is high in nitrate.  

and focker's point is excellent: "It baffles me, with the amount of people here, who look at learning in a one way, linear, fashion.  And then, bash something that they never quite grasped, or even had experience with.  When those peeps would flounder, without their Thermapen, Guru, Rockwood, commercial rubs, BGE, etc etc.  "

ten years ago it was not possible, given the great lore of the green egg, to cook a pork butt over 250.  now it's 'turbo everything'.  lots of stuff like that.

if people just slow down and pay attention, the answers are all there.  just figure it out.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Focker said:
    ...bash something that they never quite grasped, or even had experience with.  When those peeps would flounder, without their Thermapen, Guru, Rockwood, commercial rubs, BGE, etc etc.
    But, but... those products are the darlings of the forum! The Kool-Aid! On a forum like this, people have to hop on the bandwagon for the favored products, and show no mercy when discussing the others. To do otherwise is simply begging for ridicule! ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• shadowrider
    Options
    Ladeback69 said:

@shadowrider, you do know that BGE is basically RO?  So if you like like RO just buy it, it is cheaper.  Rockwood is made in St Louis, what state do you live in, because I believe they sell in all the states around Missouri?  
    @stlcharcoal that is correct, right?  It's good stuff IMHO.
    Yes, that's why I use RO.  They have pallets of it at Home Depot for about $13 a bag.  About 1/2 the price of the BGE which is stocked at the pool store right by my house.  HD ran it on sale this summer for $9.97 and it sold out before I could get up there.  Of course as soon as the sale was over new pallets appeared.   :|

I'm in Oklahoma and have not been able to find Rockwood anywhere.  I know I can order it online but I'd like to try a bag before I back up the truck.  Plus I'd likely just use it when I wanted to manipulate the smoke taste in the food and use RO for most general cooks.  With the price of RO and it working so well I just can't justify a large qty purchase which is the only feasible way to buy online.  $30 (after shipping) for a bag just doesn't really make sense.  When I get up that way I'll pick up a couple bags of RW.