Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many of you use more than one grill?

Options

Comments

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @shucker how do you like the Lang? I'm torn between the 36 and 48. 
    its a really sweet cooker, very well built and user friendly.  the most surprising thing to me is how easy it is to control temps.  I had always read that theyd settle in but i had my doubts.  I can get it up burning clean smoke at 280-300 degrees and hold her there without touching a thing just by adding a couple of splits every 45 min to an hour.  

Have you seen a 36 in person?  They are pretty small.  I'd def go with the 48 if i were you.  I wanted a 48 but found a hell of a deal on mine that i couldnt pass up.  The 60 has served me well.  Its not too large to fire up for a family cook but will hold a LOT of butts or even a small hog for larger cooks.  I love the warming box on the back.  its really nice for holding meat or cooking beans and other sides.  I cant say enough great things about it. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @shucker thanks. thats what I was afraid of about the 36. Guess I'll just have to save up and get the 48. What do you think of the hybrids? I'd like to build a trailer outfitted with it and the the large egg. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • shucker
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @shucker thanks. thats what I was afraid of about the 36. Guess I'll just have to save up and get the 48. What do you think of the hybrids? I'd like to build a trailer outfitted with it and the the large egg. 
    i think the hybrids are pretty cool.  I had considered getting one but decided I could just as easily take my weber kettle along if a grill was needed for a cook.  Just depends on how often you think you'd use the grill and whether its worth the extra money.  If youre going to be running the smoker and grill at the same time a lot it would be awesome to have both in the same unit.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    I have 3 Eggs, a Weber Kettle, and a Vision medium at the lake house.  I just completed building this small WSM out of a Weber Smokey Junior and a tamale pot.  I plan on using it for tailgating. I even added a port for the BBQ Geru.
    you know Weber. Does make a small Smokkey Mountain, nice engineering.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    @Ladeback69  Yes, I know about the small WSM. I wanted to build my own for less than $100.  The small WSM  is $200 at Walmart.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Starting up a gas grill takes very little time. The Egg does take a few extra minutes. More so when the ashes have to be removed. Based on that I still use the Egg. I can understand someone who is willing to sacrifice flavor for time. When the extreme cold of winter hits, I'll cook inside. Not because I like it, but I don't like to cookout in 20* temperatures all the time. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Frequently use both the LG & MM. Winter time I'll occasionally use a burn barrel loaded with oak and a homemade grid for giggles and grins. That said I welcome adding more cooking vessels. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    shucker said:
    Jeremiah said:
    @shucker how do you like the Lang? I'm torn between the 36 and 48. 
    its a really sweet cooker, very well built and user friendly.  the most surprising thing to me is how easy it is to control temps.  I had always read that theyd settle in but i had my doubts.  I can get it up burning clean smoke at 280-300 degrees and hold her there without touching a thing just by adding a couple of splits every 45 min to an hour.  

Have you seen a 36 in person?  They are pretty small.  I'd def go with the 48 if i were you.  I wanted a 48 but found a hell of a deal on mine that i couldnt pass up.  The 60 has served me well.  Its not too large to fire up for a family cook but will hold a LOT of butts or even a small hog for larger cooks.  I love the warming box on the back.  its really nice for holding meat or cooking beans and other sides.  I cant say enough great things about it. 

I've been considering this exact setup. Can you give me an estimated total height of the warmer? I'd probably have to store this in my garage due to the HOA...
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    My decision is do I use my XL BGE, my L BGE or my S BGE.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I currently own one mbge. The Xl comes in October from Eggfest in Columbus. I have two UDS. that I use with the scout troop. They are slightly different. With those they will run hot or slow. I can cook 12 turkeys at once. I tossed all the rest of my junk. The last gasser, kettle and water smoker went curbside.. The next one will be a reverse flow offset on a trailer for the troop. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    ChuckR said:
    I prefer my egg but sometimes when I get home it is easier to fire up my weber. Both grills are in my garage and it is easier to move and fire up after a day of work. Just curious who else might use more than one grill. 

At home, I have a LBGE & nice Kenmore Propane Gasser with Rotisserie.  I use both, depending on what it is I am cooking and how I want to cook it.

I also have a Brinkmann Electric Vertical Water Smoker.  I use it on occasion as an electric smoker, but I have also modified it so I can use it with charcoal and use my BBQ Guru temp controller I bought for the LBGE.

I have an old Weber at my cabin in the mountains I use.  I had plans to buy a medium BGE and build a modified base for the Nest for "offroad" terrain, but with my change in income in the wrong direction, I've just started contemplating buying an offset smoker for the mountains instead of a medium BGE.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• shucker
    Options
    I've been considering this exact setup. Can you give me an estimated total height of the warmer? I'd probably have to store this in my garage due to the HOA...
    @Big_Green_Craig the tallest point of this cooker is actually the top of the smoke stack which sits up a couple inches higher than the warming box . From the ground to the top of the smoke stack is right at 6'.  

You should cater the HOA meetings, they'd let you keep it in your front yard!

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    shucker said:
    @Big_Green_Craig the tallest point of this cooker is actually the top of the smoke stack which sits up a couple inches higher than the warming box . From the ground to the top of the smoke stack is right at 6'.  

You should cater the HOA meetings, they'd let you keep it in your front yard!
    Great, thanks! That's not a terrible idea! I'm already bribing the president. He just got a ceramic cooker and wants some pointers. Well, el presidente, I want to add a full outdoor kitchen! Pointers for approval!   =)
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

I have a Weber Kettle and a New Braunfels offset firebox collecting dust in the warehouse, probably ought to sell them but I cut my teeth on both of them and can't pull the trigger

XL gets used on weeknights when we are not running around like fools, and as much as I can on the weekends.

I have a Weber Spirit gasser that is the weeknight workhorse. It is small (2 burners) and fits nicely in the corner of a covered patio. It gets hot quick, a tank of gas lasts forever, and though it is blasphemy to some on this forum you would have to pry it from my cold, dead, hands......I love the little thing.

Strongly considering a MiniMax, but I just keep finding better uses for the $$ 

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I don't know what you mean.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GRE1
    GRE1 Posts: 68
    Options
    Two XL's for me....... Big family, me and my wife ( all 120lbs of her!).
    XL times 2
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    After 30 years+ of Weber AND a Decade+ of Hibachi, I went to an XL BGE and never looked back.  Sold the Weber.   I haven't had a Hibachi except for my Single Hamburger model in 30+ years
  • Chillin@5
    Options
    Bought my 1st LBGE 2 months ago when my friend put my gasser into flames, and I am hooked. Only question is what BGE next? Medium, small or MM? I love to entertain and cook a variety and cook for many, but also want something a bit more portable than the large to take with me on weekend excursions. I love the BGE!
    1 XL , 1 LBGE , 1MM a very tolerant hubby and 2 hungry teenage boys with a lot of friends. I Love playin' with charcoal and sippin' Bourbon in Fenton, MI. Live Large!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    XL and MM, veggies and sides on the MM protein on the XL. Use MM for tailgating, and camping too.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I cook on a BGE 3 times/week.  Use my pellet grill for large quantities of burgers/hot dogs when we have a party.  It also gets used for "nasty" cooks like 5# of bacon or stuff that would generate a lot of grease.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Lg BGE and KJ Jr, here.  Great combination.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    LGBE (recently bought), Weber Kettle (found on side of road), Gas Grill, Weber Q 200 portable Grill (camping, tailgating)

Since I just got the LBGE i have used it more than the gas grill, I imagine over time I will be 50/50 with them depending on time I have.  The (found) Weber was my smoker for a time being as my offset finally died.  That Weber Q 200 is an amazing grill and likely when my Gas Grill dies I will just use that and a stand.  I also use the side burner on my Gas Grill to light my chimney
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    4 eggs here...L for big stuff, M for baking only - no meat ever, S which is my go to egg, and Mini for traveling.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited October 2015
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    That Weber Q 200 is an amazing grill and likely when my Gas Grill dies I will just use that and a stand.  I also use the side burner on my Gas Grill to light my chimney

Lighting the chimney on the side burner sounds like something I should have probably thought of!  Thanks for the tip.

That weber q is a great little grill.  I didn't use mine much, so it was one of the 3 grills I sold to justify the new Blackstone.

Phoenix 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Large BGE and a Camp Chef Smoke Vault propane smoker. Used the smoker on a brisket cook yesterday.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    large bge and a webber gas grill.  the bge is tops but for a quick burger or brat, the webber works out fine.  have another webber at our cabin and a large bbq pit that we can do just about anything on. good for about 10 or 11 chickens on a spit. 
  • D1105
    D1105 Posts: 60
    Options
    I have a emergency cheapo little grill that I used for camp outs (even in the backyard).  It came in handy when my old charcoal grill broke down and had to wait for my LBGE to be delivered....

Derick
    Chicago
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    TTC said:

I have a Weber Kettle and a New Braunfels offset firebox collecting dust in the warehouse, probably ought to sell them but I cut my teeth on both of them and can't pull the trigger

XL gets used on weeknights when we are not running around like fools, and as much as I can on the weekends.

I have a Weber Spirit gasser that is the weeknight workhorse. It is small (2 burners) and fits nicely in the corner of a covered patio. It gets hot quick, a tank of gas lasts forever, and though it is blasphemy to some on this forum you would have to pry it from my cold, dead, hands......I love the little thing.

Strongly considering a MiniMax, but I just keep finding better uses for the $$ 

Since we are both heretics by still using a Weber gas grill I suggest that one more blasphemous action won't hurt you any further:

Consider getting a Kamado Joe Jr. If you can find a Costco/Kamado Joe Roadshow nearby you can generally get one for $400 bucks or less. Great little cooker.

Since it is mostly just me and my wife now it is my most used grill by far.  
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    I have a LBGE and MBGE.  The thought was the family is downsizing with kids off to college, and the MBGE would be more than sufficient for SWMBO and me.  More times than not, I cook on the LBGE though.  I guess it's a loyalty thing...
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles