Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another confession about my sheltered life - yellow cheese

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
Since I can remember I have always used Kraft American cheese slices for my cheeseburgers and grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Well today our Kroger was having a sample day sponsored by Boar's Head. Even though I have been buying more and more BH cheeses I wasn't even aware they made a yellow cheese! Man-o-man was that rich and delicious!!! No more kraft krap for me!!!

BTW a month ago I discovered the very tasty BH Tavern ham that makes great sandwiches!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I didn't either. I just finished off the last of a package of white American cheese from Boar's Head today at lunch on my cheeseburger. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Don't recall if I have ever had Boar's Head cheese. I usually just go to the Deli counter at the supermarket and get them to slice off some Land-O-Lakes Yellow American cheese from the block. That stuff is awesome and beats the hell out of Kraft slices. I do that for Provolone, American, Swiss, whatever I need.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I 2nd the land o lakes. It's really good as well and half the price of BH. When I make cheeseburger pizzas I get a chunk of the land o lakes white American and shred it myself.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Caution! My fatal mistake was reading the label for the Kraft pre-grated Parmesan. And then grating some fresh. Then grating some that actually came from Italy. Then Pecorino Romano...

Quick, get back to the blue logo pre-sliced before its too late. Otherwise, soon it will be double cream, then triple creams. Stuff that hardly needs more than room temperature to melt.

I hate to say this, but I had a brisket sandwich w. brie a few weeks ago, and I like it.
  • Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    Options
    Yep. And technically Kraft isn't cheese. It's processed cheese food. Whatever that is!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited August 2015
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I hate to say this, but I had a brisket sandwich w. brie a few weeks ago, and I like it.

well, actually you more than likely only had FAUX Brie.  Our illustrious, know-it-all gov't won't allow REAL Brie to be produced or imported in{to} the US.  Real Brie is made with RAW, unpasteurized milk - which is "illegal" in the US.  

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    gdenby said:

well, actually you more than likely only had FAUX Brie.  ... REAL Brie is "illegal" in the US.  

Phew! Glad you told me that. For a few minutes there, I thought I liked brie, and my self respect was at risk. I suppose the baked marrow that was in between the brisket and the cheese is what threw me off.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I wish I could still eat cheese. Any cheese. I cheat here and there, maybe an ounce of Locatelli Pecorino Romano on a pasta dish. Pizza with a couple of oz of mozz leaves something to be desired. Goat cheese is a favorite because it's so strong that little goes a long way! But mostly, I pass. Sigh.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Life gets more expensive with each new enlightenment.  Yes, I agree, Boars head rocks, and there is no going backwards either.

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Love BH products. I like the cheese because I can buy exactly how many slices I want so I save money in the long haul. 
  • RRP
    Options
    Love BH products. I like the cheese because I can buy exactly how many slices I want so I save money in the long haul. 
    Me too and my Kroger deli staff are only too willing to oblige! BTW did you catch my comment about the BH Tavern Ham for sandwiches? It is kick butt stuff cut however thick you like your sandwiches!
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    No one prefers their own SMOKED Kraft, Tillamook cheese?
    I do.
    Not the processed Velveta type soft cheese.  
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    RRP said:
    Me too and my Kroger deli staff are only too willing to oblige! BTW did you catch my comment about the BH Tavern Ham for sandwiches? It is kick butt stuff cut however thick you like your sandwiches!
    I'm a regular for all of the BH products. I get the ham, chicken breast, turkey and London broil all the time. I really like their Gold Label Swiss Cheese too. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited August 2015
    Options
    We have a Whole Foods that carried BH Southwest spiced turkey breast slices at ~$8/lb.  So, I now make my own (and it is MUCH better).  I have an Avanti 9" professional grade slicer that makes this even more of a treat as I get to use more than one of my "toys" :):) 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I'm a regular for all of the BH products. I get the ham, chicken breast, turkey and London broil all the time. I really like their Gold Label Swiss Cheese too. 

I just tried their Jalapeno Havarti.  Mighty fine.

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    Options
    blasting said:

I just tried their Jalapeno Havarti.  Mighty fine.

ahhhhh, geez, man...I'll be all over THAT on Monday!!! Thanks!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,126
    Options
    I wish I could still eat cheese. Any cheese. I cheat here and there, maybe an ounce of Locatelli Pecorino Romano on a pasta dish. Pizza with a couple of oz of mozz leaves something to be desired. Goat cheese is a favorite because it's so strong that little goes a long way! But mostly, I pass. Sigh.
    Dang man!  Why do you haunt this place.  It has to be torture.  I bet your doc told you smoking was bad for you too!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Durangler said:
    No one prefers their own SMOKED.... Tillamook cheese?
    I do.
    Tillamook's a fav of mine too, I think it's only available here in the West.  
    There's a local cheesemaker, Beehive Cheese, that is excellent and won a bunch of awards but it makes Boar's Head look cheap.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Dang man!  Why do you haunt this place.  It has to be torture.  I bet your doc told you smoking was bad for you too!
    Because I was here before I was "there". Not torture at all as there are plenty of things I can still enjoy. You do know you can still cook veggies, chicken and fish on the egg, don't you? And that they taste better? There's nothing I can't have... on occasion and in moderation. I just have to limit things like cheese, cured meats and beef. If all y'all did too, you'd be healthier. I learned the hard way.

And yeah, doc does frown on smoking. But everyone frowns on smoking!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP
    I'm not going to lie, I eat Kraft cheese by the packs. But the more I think about it, this is true for all cheeses. I'm a cheese eating fool  :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    @Botch, my father-in-law loves Tillamook too and it is available here at Publix and Ingles in SC. @RRP Boar's Head was one of my customers before I retired and they are very serious about sanitation. That is the only brand of deli meat and cheese we buy. If you liked the Tavern Ham, try their Virginia Ham, heck all of their stuff is amazing. Nothing like a good garlic bologna slice pan fried with mustard on whole wheat bread.Then there is pastrami with provolone on rye done on the panini. The list goes on and on of our favorites. Good stuff.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Try the Blazing buffalo chicken.... It is fantastic. Great pepperoni for pizza also. There cheeses are spot on.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Kraft singles but yes some things are better! 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    I'm not going to lie, I eat Kraft cheese by the packs. But the more I think about it, this is true for all cheeses. I'm a cheese eating fool  :D
    Then I bet you'd like one of my cheeseburgers!

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nacho cheese
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    SGH said:
    @RRP
    Then I bet you'd like one of my cheeseburgers!

I would love one my friend!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    The Boar's Head Monterey Pepper Jack is excellent.
    If I remember correctly, America's Test Kitchen rated it the highest Jalapeno cheese in their taste test. It should be good, It's about $10 a pound at Publix. 
  • GregW
    Options

RRP said:
    Since I can remember I have always used Kraft American cheese slices for my cheeseburgers and grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Well today our Kroger was having a sample day sponsored by Boar's Head. Even though I have been buying more and more BH cheeses I wasn't even aware they made a yellow cheese! Man-o-man was that rich and delicious!!! No more kraft krap for me!!!

BTW a month ago I discovered the very tasty BH Tavern ham that makes great sandwiches!
    I grew up eating Velveta cheese in macaroni and cheese. To this day I still enjoy it. It makes an excellent grilled cheese due to its melting characteristics.

Sometimes the simple things in life can be good without having to be considered gourmet.
  • RRP
    Options
    GregW said:

Sometimes the simple things in life can be good without having to be considered gourmet.
    Oh I agree and I love Velveta and will continue to eat it in those favorite recipes. I was referring to Kraft American singles which is not the same taste - at least to me.
  • GregW
    Options
    RRP said:
    GregW said:

Oh I agree and I love Velveta and will continue to eat it in those favorite recipes. I was referring to Kraft American singles which is not the same taste - at least to me.
    No, It's not the same. I do like the Kraft singles. They are a staple in the refrigerator. The Kraft also makes a good grilled cheese. And to be honest, I don't usually keep the Velveta singles on hand.