Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A pedestrian brisket cook-

Options
I post a lot about brisket cooks-having hosed up many and had a few winners.  Below are a couple of pics of today's brisket cook:  I am out with them early as I may be too hammered for the final shots in several hours :) Don't know the order of appearance here but one is the initial go and the other is three hours in.  No magic here-start with great meat (Costco prime in this case) and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sounds like a dandy start to the day :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by for the finale. I'm sure it will be a winner. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looking good! I was up at 4:30 this morning getting the egg lit and had one on, for tonight, just after 6:00.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth - You beat me by about 30 minutes :) .  Only challenge with that reveille is that the adult beverage time is quite protracted thus my comment about finish pics and "hammered".  I know I will finish the cook and the requisite slice and enjoy but taking pics...a game time decision.
    Enjoy the cook and eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth - You beat me by about 30 minutes :) .  Only challenge with that reveille is that the adult beverage time is quite protracted thus my comment about finish pics and "hammered".  I know I will finish the cook and the requisite slice and enjoy but taking pics...a game time decision.
    Enjoy the cook and eats!
    LOL! I won't get into the adult beverage until later this afternoon. Too much yard work to get to first (after being away for a couple of weeks) and Mrs. TOTN wants to get out for a run.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I am several in as I follow the house rules: light the BGE-adult beverage time; food on-adult beverage time then as needed to enjoy the cook and SWMBO eggscape time.  High-Noon is well into my rear-view mirror (EDT).  Have a great day and cook.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    This. Is. Righteous! Carry on.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Show us how it's done!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Game continues on-probably need to slow the adult beverage pace or I could miss the finish-line and beyond :peace: 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Adjusting beverage intake is just as important as adjusting airflow! Stay strong brother!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Air-flow is a much higher priority here.  That drives the equation-beverages are only a monitor :peace: 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Looking good.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    This post is awesome. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Ok, now we are into the Bordeaux. Damn good Bordeaux too.
    Carry on!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Your wine choice is well above where I'm going with a brisket.  Enjoy and have fun!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Here we are seven hours in-just in case I miss the "hammered" finish-line.  Dang, I love Brisket cooks-

• YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Your wine choice is well above where I'm going with a brisket.  Enjoy and have fun!
    I have a question, I had planned on wrapping in about 6 hours, doing the weight/time/temp calculations.... Or should I pick a temp to use for the wrap?
    beer supply holding out?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I don't wrap so no real help there-but ride all brisket decisions on temp.  If you want to power thru the stall then you should wrap in foil once you see the stall; if your bark is set and you want to wrap then wrap in butcher paper (see above post) at that point.  Otherwise ride nekked to the holy grail.  But just an opinion and we all know about those :peace: 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I don't wrap so no real help there-but ride all brisket decisions on temp.  If you want to power thru the stall then you should wrap in foil once you see the stall; if your bark is set and you want to wrap then wrap in butcher paper (see above post) at that point.  Otherwise ride nekked to the holy grail.  But just an opinion and we all know about those :peace: 
    Concur. It is the engineer in me. She will ride until she probes like buttah!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Just pulled mine after about 8 hrs running around 275* dome temp. Seems a little fast but, no worries, I'll ftc until dinner around 6:00pm. May be time to check my dome thermo though.

Also happy to report that Mrs. TOTN and I got an 8K run/walk in in about an hour and 10 minutes. Now to get that damn yard whipped into shape so that I can started on the adult beverages!
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth - Good call pulling when the cow says it's time.  And congrats on the exercise-I have been doing the weight lifting 12 oz curls since around 5 AM (EDT) so I am trying to sort out what orbit I will select for the remainder of the day.  Early choice is to finish the cook and then...
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Just pulled mine after about 8 hrs running around 275* dome temp. Seems a little fast but, no worries, I'll ftc until dinner around 6:00pm. May be time to check my dome thermo though.

Also happy to report that Mrs. TOTN and I got an 8K run/walk in in about an hour and 10 minutes. Now to get that damn yard whipped into shape so that I can started on the adult beverages!
    Congrats on the run! And coming home to brisket. It is a good day!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    edited August 2015
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth - Good call pulling when the cow says it's time.  And congrats on the exercise-I have been doing the weight lifting 12 oz curls since around 5 AM (EDT) so I am trying to sort out what orbit I will select for the remainder of the day.  Early choice is to finish the cook and then...
    6 th botlle of my Bordeaux, these neighbors can hang!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Hanging in? Beer supply ok?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The below is the finish-line before the rest and slice.  Brisket cook-about  the most fun you can have with the BGE.  BTW-13 lbs and around 10 hrs cook-time ( average 260-270*F). I have been seeing 0.7 hrs/lb for that last three cooks-don't know if it's me or the cow-plan accordingly.  Apologize for poor quality pics but the same camera (phone as before) and I really don't do pics.

• lousubcap
    Options
    I do believe I may be on the planet with sufficient faculties to get a sliced pic-could be a first.  "Throttle back he says!"  And it is early even EDT :peace: 
  • lousubcap
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Here's a slice pic-coulda been more professional but when under the gun to get the food out I understand the priorities:
    And I know the quality of the pic is weak-oh, well!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    The pics, good or bad, just mean it really happened.

Enjoy!
    Options
    I'm here to tell ya-when I say it happens, it does. But thanks for the look.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That looks really good !