Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork picnic roast

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
Local store is selling what they call pork picnic roast for 78 cents a lb. is this similar to pork butt. Would you smoke it as a pork butt? Haven't bought any yet, but seems like a good price!
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Yes--like a butt. It will have a bigger bone and less fat. I inject mine prior to smoking and you can usually pull at a slightly lower temp than a butt. It will make great pulled pork. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    jabam said:
    Local store is selling what they call pork picnic roast for 78 cents a lb. is this similar to pork butt. 
    A whole shoulder consists of a butt and a picnic that has not been seperated. The picnic being the lower portion of the shoulder. There is a difference in the taste between the two. With that said, when prepared properly a picnic is outstanding. I actually prefer them over the butt. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Ok....exactly what I wanted to know thanks guys!!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    SGH said:
    jabam said:
    Local store is selling what they call pork picnic roast for 78 cents a lb. is this similar to pork butt. 
    A whole shoulder consists of a butt and a picnic that has not been seperated. The picnic being the lower portion of the shoulder. There is a difference in the taste between the two. With that said, when prepared properly a picnic is outstanding. I actually prefer them over the butt. 
    Can you please share what a properly prepared picnic would be or point me to a link? I see them on sale a lot here in SE Florida so it would be good to learn how to do them. Thanks!
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I like picnics better. A little sweeter in my opinion and you can make some delicious snacks with the skin. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I like picnics better. A little sweeter in my opinion and you can make some delicious snacks with the skin. 
    Oh yes! Cracklings FTW. The picnic can have a hammy taste, which is good as well.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Can you please share what a properly prepared picnic would be or point me to a link? 
    Yes sir, I can and will. Let me make it home to my iPad and I will gladly share my thoughts my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.