Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini vs. Mini Max

Options
TN2TX
TN2TX Posts: 298
Someone has offered to sell me their Mini for $300. It's brand new so I am considering even though the warranty will be void. Seems like a good deal but I really had my eye on a Mini Max before this deal came along. Does anyone own both or experience using both? I would like to hear some reviews or thoughts on the Mini. 
Dallas, TX

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I have the mini and it's ok. Too expensive in my opinion for what you get. I use my $25 Weber Joe 9 times out of 10 between the mini for tailgating. The Mini Max you get a bigger grid and becomes more practical for cooks. I haven't used the mini max but I have a couple small eggs.  I dig the smalls
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    $300. Seems like a lot for no warranty. If you've been wanting the MM, I'd wait. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Either way it's a would of, could of, should of, ordeal. Flip a coin. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I will be the odd ball here. I honestly really like the little mini. It does a outstanding job and is a fuel mizer to say the least. The mini is small and capacity is limited but it fills a particular need and fills it well. If you are cooking real large items or big quantities at a time, then you maybe served better with a larger egg. My advice would be to determine your capacity needs and chose your egg size accordingly. However if you already have a egg, the mini is a great addition. Especially for searing. I now do almost all of my searing on the mini. It does a excellent job for this. There is no one perfect size. This is true of all smokers, not just kamados. Price is debatable on any of them. It comes down to is the price justifiable to you. For the record, I have spent thousands of dollars on smokers and grills. I don't regret buying a single one of them. Cooking is what I enjoy in life. Here is the little mini with a clod steak cut on the bias. To say that I like the mini would be a understatement my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Thanks guys. Great looking steak @SGH . I already own a large so this would be for smaller cooks like burgers or chicken breast for me and the wife. 
    Dallas, TX
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    MiniMax
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    I have an XL & MiniMax .... my MiniMax is awesome for smaller quicker cooks but I love how I can still do a small chicken or pork butt or whatever without firing my XL. Like SGH I prefer to do all my searing on my MiniMax ... it comes to temp so much faster and burns way less Lump. As far as portability, the MiniMax is a bit on the heavy side ... if you pull the guts out of it it's much easier to handle. That could be a big advantage with the Mini, portability. If you doubt it'll get moved around much ... I'd go for the one with a bit more real estate. Just my opinion.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    i have a mini max, it is similar to the small just easier to transport. You can get 3 larges steaks on at once. I love it!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    coming from the owner of a mini, who actually got it for $225 WITH a warranty (gotta love my dealer), it's not worth the price.   will i give it away, heck no.  but would have saved the money towards a MM if i did it over again.
  • EggNashville
    EggNashville Posts: 243
    Options
    I have a large and a mini. Just two in my house so the mini gets a good deal of work.

love my mini, but I'd let your dimension needs guide the verdict.

can't go wrong... :)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would sell my MM before my mini. MM is not really that portable and if you don't need portable get a small egg. 
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    I can't speak for the mini, but I have the mini max.  It's so versatile, comes to high temps fast, and doing low and slow is a breeze.  It seems that accessories for the mini max/small are much easier to find as well.  It's awkward for one person to carry but doable.  I carry mine most of the time but don't mind the help when I can get it.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I have 2 of each...still use the mini more...but what do I know
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I doubt you'll ever say I wish I had less grill space.  Go with the mini max.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options

I bought my parents the mini and they never use it. I bought myself the minimax and I use it all the time. I do go to the large the most

St. Johns County, Florida
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

I'll chime in on this...I have a Mini and think it is the best for searing or cooks of 2-3 people.

The Mini Max is only 3 inches larger but...man..when I lifted one...it sure isn't portable. 

Mini is great for chix breast or a couple of steaks...hech you can even do 3lb butts on it.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    1+ @SGH.  The mini is a great cooker.  In all honesty, unless mobility is the primary factor get a small or medium.  More options.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I love my MM. Every time I use it I discover something else cry cool about it. Indirects are killer, directs, how much you can do. I did two MONSTER chops for My Beautiful Wife and I. When I bought it, she thought I was crazy, but now the food and the versatility, MBW thinks I got it going on.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Love my mini, I did a 4.5 lb butt on if a few weeks ago ... It's a lump miser. 5 hrs with a ton of lump left over.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Got both if I had to keep only one it would be the mini.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I wanted a mini-max for my second egg when they were announced, but found a mini for $200 (new, with warranty card), from a dealer. Honestly, I only use the mini once in a while, just seem to use my Large more out of habit. But I do like that the mini can heat up and cool off quickly. After being on this forum and reading about the mini-max, I think I would go small over the mini-max, and just use a pot lifter for portability if I needed it.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • mefgriller
    Options
    The mini is so versatile. I have smoked small brisket,pork butt and grilled chicken and steak deliciously. It is well worth it. I make personal pizza that my granddaughter enjoys more than Pizza Hut. Only limited by your imagination

Large BGE  Mini BGE

Laurel Md
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have both and use the Mini-Max more. Also have two Larges and use the Mini more than them. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Like Mickey my mini is getting less use due to the max.
    Seattle, WA
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I would like to get a portable grill for my son (he is a graduate student)- poor guy: the only outdoor cookers he has learned to use are my Eggs (large and minimax)!  He lives in a small apartment that has a communal porch, and there is a small patch of grass off the  driveway of the building.  I am thinking he will need to bring the grill inside when he isn't using it, and I know how hard it is to carry the minimax.

When I was his age, I remember grilling on a tiny thing called a hibachi grill.  It was so great and basic.  I haven't been able to find one.

Now I am considering getting him a mini.  Is it lighter than the minimax?  Could he carry it by himself?
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Minis are very transportable.  I think it is 35 pounds? Take a look on the bge site to verify.  But also make sure to get the nest HANDLER with it.  Same handle transporter that is made for the MM and makes it very easy to carry around IMO.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited May 2016
    Options
    booksw said:
    I would like to get a portable grill for my son (he is a graduate student)- poor guy: the only outdoor cookers he has learned to use are my Eggs (large and minimax)!  He lives in a small apartment that has a communal porch, and there is a small patch of grass off the  driveway of the building.  I am thinking he will need to bring the grill inside when he isn't using it, and I know how hard it is to carry the minimax.

When I was his age, I remember grilling on a tiny thing called a hibachi grill.  It was so great and basic.  I haven't been able to find one.

Now I am considering getting him a mini.  Is it lighter than the minimax?  Could he carry it by himself?
    Just remember that ceramic stays hot for a long time. It's almost too good in some aspect. I use to bring my small egg for tailgating but became too much a hassle waiting for it to cool, handle, and move. I switched to a Weber Joe and eventually to a Jumbo Joe. You can lift it up and dump it out with one hand and will cool in 5 minutes. Weber might be something to consider in his situation. If theft isn't an issue and can wait 3-4 hours to go out and handle I'd go mini.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • booksw
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks @stompbox! This forum is so helpful.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • booksw
    Options

The deed is done! @WeberWho I dont think theft will be an issue and maybe with the external handles on the new nest/handler he will be able to bring it in before it is all the way cooled off. 

Now the next dilemma- does he HAVE to have the receipt in hand to register the warranty?  I know he needs the receipt to make a claim.  I just think it is tacky to hand someone a gift AND a receipt.  Especially when you know you spent too much money and you don't want them to know it, too...
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    booksw said:

... Now the next dilemma- does he HAVE to have the receipt in hand to register the warranty?  I know he needs the receipt to make a claim.  I just think it is tacky to hand someone a gift AND a receipt.  Especially when you know you spent too much money and you don't want them to know it, too...
    The warranty registration asks for the date the egg was placed in service.  He can register it as a gift or you can share with him the name and address where it was purchased.  Give him a digital copy of the receipt with the price redacted ... he can use that to make a claim.  You can retain the receipt "just in case."

BGE is the only entity that can see the registration ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max