Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

VERY OT - My aquarium

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited July 2015 in Off Topic
I mentioned my aquarium hobby and thought I'd throw some pics up of my last tank. I'm currently not keeping a tank as my house is too small and my time too sparse.  But for a long time this was my hobby.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Very cool.. I have a buddy that has a large saltwater set up, love watching the fish and coral when we are over there...

Thanks for sharing
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Very cool.  I never graduated to salt but have had several freshwater in the past and they're just not comparable.  You're right about needing the time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Impressive set up.  Did you sell it or just storing for when you get space/time.

Watching fish makes me hungry.   I do feel calmer though.
    Options
    I'll never have the time or patience, but LOVE looking at setups like yours; beautiful!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Woweee. Beautiful.  I would love to have an aquarium like that, but I know the time and dedication needed is significant. Man, that is really well done. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Impressive set up.  Did you sell it or just storing for when you get space/time.

Watching fish makes me hungry.   I do feel calmer though.
    I have some of the equipment, but I sold all the corals and fish. I have a simple tank at my Hyundai store and a larger one at our Toyota store, but nothing like this. It took daily attention, every single day to get it to this point. I sold it when I moved onto my water property. This was in a townhouse with no view, lots more incentive to keep an aquarium.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Great now I'm going to buy a fish tank too.  Just kidding.  I have always loved fish tanks and hopefully I will get one soon. That's pretty sweet man. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    We've had aquariums for years.  We're down to one.  It's not worth posting a picture (small, freshwater) - it's been very stable, fish usually die from old age.
    We've had aquariums for years.  We're down to one.  It's not worth posting a picture (small, freshwater) - it's been very stable, fish usually die from old age.
    What about raccoon attacks? ;)
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    My experience years ago is hilarious now that I look back. We bougth a small aquarium at a garage sale. It was dirty so I scrubbed it out using COMET. Rinsed it once, filled it with tap water, dumped in $10 worth of fish and found them all belly up the next morning! Talked with a friend who told me what I did wrong and he suggested buying a snail to keep it clean inside. Figured why just get 1 snail so I bought 5 instead! In six months time that aquarium was over run with snails!!! By then we were moving to a new home and my snail raising days were over and I sold the aquarium to the some sucker at a garage sale!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    What about raccoon attacks? ;)
    All the raccoon invasions resulted in the 'coons going straight for the catfood.  Lower hanging fruit.
    Options
    Nice 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    We had a small freshwater tank.  My daughter decided to share her apple juice with the fish.  We had a few "burials at sea".  This is my kind of tank!

Flint, Michigan
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Really beautiful setup. I had a 70 gallon African Cichlid tank years ago.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I saw that aquarium in person.  It was extremely nice. Hate to hear that it's gone man. It looked really good in your house. My wife absolutely loved it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    I saw that aquarium in person.  It was extremely nice. Hate to hear that it's gone man. It looked really good in your house. My wife absolutely loved it. 
    You didn't see this bad boy. You saw my 90g that is now at our store. It was no where near this decked out. But thank you very much. I actually see it more now there than I did at home.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've always wanted to have a saltwater tank. What keeps me from it is the specter of a $100+ fish floating belly up.
    Your tank was really sharp.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Dang it lets try a still....

yummy fish- 

Greensboro, NC
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Very nice set up. I have been working on a 90 gallon set up for about 6 months. I have the tank, stand, hood, sump, power heads so far. Still need the lights 1200.00 and skimmer 550.00 then I can get it cycling. I want to do corals so before anyone says you can get lights cheaper....I know that, but I also don't want to kill the coral and clams that I really want in this setup. I will get there. Just might take another 6 months but I will get it done...lol
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • GregW
    Options
    Very nice set up. I have been working on a 90 gallon set up for about 6 months. I have the tank, stand, hood, sump, power heads so far. Still need the lights 1200.00 and skimmer 550.00 then I can get it cycling. I want to do corals so before anyone says you can get lights cheaper....I know that, but I also don't want to kill the coral and clams that I really want in this setup. I will get there. Just might take another 6 months but I will get it done...lol
    Coral is cool, but I understand it's one of the most difficult aspect of the hobby.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @gregw it is difficult for sure. The high intensity lights will help a lot. There is a pet store about 30 miles from me that salt water is there thing and where I have been getting everything for this set up. I told them I want to do this right the first time and not re think the equipment I bought. Sad to say I will have 5k into it before I ever get water in the thing. 

I am am not a saltwater virgin though I have had them in the past but Nothing of this quality.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • GregW
    Options
    @gregw it is difficult for sure. The high intensity lights will help a lot. There is a pet store about 30 miles from me that salt water is there thing and where I have been getting everything for this set up. I told them I want to do this right the first time and not re think the equipment I bought. Sad to say I will have 5k into it before I ever get water in the thing. 

I am am not a saltwater virgin though I have had them in the past but Nothing of this quality.
    Are you looking at LED lights?
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You should look very hard at using a T5 set up. On a 90g you can get ATI bulbs and a 4 or 6 bulb sunpower fixture in the $500 range and it will literally grow anything in the world. Many of the best reef tank setups in the world are under quality t5 setups.

The leds that are in the range you are talking are fantastic, but there have been a lot more successful tanks under t5s. You do get dimming and control that you can never get on a t5 setup for cool morning and night settings. But that doesn't help the coral in any way.
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Beautiful looking Tank!

Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Very cool hobby. I have known a lot of folks that had tanks. Kept adding and enhancing, getting different sizes, the latest gadgets, upgrading the holders and displays, tryin new things in them.....wait, this seems familiar to me somehow.....Like Us Freakin' Eggers!!!!!
    nice tanks, very complex and beautiful!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Very cool hobby. I have known a lot of folks that had tanks. Kept adding and enhancing, getting different sizes, the latest gadgets, upgrading the holders and displays, tryin new things in them.....wait, this seems familiar to me somehow.....Like Us Freakin' Eggers!!!!!
    I agree about the similarity. In my case I threw out hundreds if not thousands on snails I raised over 6 months...but now I have no qualms about paying $10 for a tiny can of "escargot" from France! I gotta wonder how many billions of dollars I would have been worth if I just kept my garage sale acquarium for $10 and $2 worth of over sexed snails years ago!  =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    RRP said:
    YukonRon said:
    I agree about the similarity. In my case I threw out hundreds if not thousands on snails I raised over 6 months...but now I have no qualms about paying $10 for a tiny can of "escargot" from France! I gotta wonder how many billions of dollars I would have been worth if I just kept my garage sale acquarium for $10 and $2 worth of over sexed snails years ago!  =)
    That is funny. Unfortunately, I have the same sort of problem with rabbits. I do not raise them, but our neighborhood is loaded with those garden nazis. They keep breeding in our yard, there are dozens. The only other city I know that has a rabbit population larger than Louisville, is Köln.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Thank you all. I really miss this tank. It was 6 foot wide, 30"tall and 24" front to back. There were something like 25 fish in there and over 50 coral specimen. And one HUGE rugby ball sized clam.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Never had a reef tank, other than a small 35 gallon gig. I had a 125 swim tank, with the plate filtration. What a nightmare. Did my 12 hours at the USPS one night, got home at 1 in the morning.  Tank just didn't look right. Spent the next 7 hours catching fish, draining the tank and cleaning the sludge from under the plate. Didn't lose a fish. Also had a 300 gallon swim tank with overflow boxes. Absolutely loved that tank. Was clear enough that you could read a newspaper thru it...long ways...tank was 8' long. Had some pretty fish. Had a porcupine puffer that liked to be petted. Wish I had the $$$ and was set up to do it again.