Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I don't care....

Options

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    They're cousins @Legume You must watch The Bravo Network. :rofl: It's okay your "cool" now. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @DoubleEgger I used to be a huge Phil Collins fan, haven't heard that in forever, thanks for the flashback.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Glad I grew up with this

And not this

Say what you will.  If some dude wants furry man love I don't give a care!  When did being gay or bisexual become cool?  I'm not judging but, that show wasn't built on racism. I'm so over this idiocracy of being PC. Absolutely ridiculous. 
    Well said - with I could give you more than one like.
    Phoenix 
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Sardonicus I don't blame them either, but there are MANY people here in the south whose ancestors did not own slaves. . .Those folks want to memorialize their ancestors . . .

So, who's stopping them?

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• blasting
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wasn't alive when my ancestors were pulled out of their homes and shot in front of their families, and the wives were brutally raped.  This is what happened during the Russian revolution.  I also would never blame my misfortunes on sins committed against my ancestors.  

I like black people, so I really wish as a culture they would consider letting things go that happened before they were born.  I'd love to see blacks begin to thrive in this country, but this can't happen until the victim mentality is dropped.

When I first moved to America, I went out of my way to hire a diverse work force.  You know who wouldn't stop talking about color and perceived slights - you guessed it.  I truly wanted blacks on my staff, but they ended up being a distraction to they whole operation with the all the victim mentality.  After that I was less concerned about a diverse workforce.

Edit - in reading my post, I really don't want to sound racist.  It would be my wish that we all would stop talking about skin color and thrive together as a nation.  We are far from being the greatest nation anymore - by any measure.  We don't need to occupy ourselves with skin color fighting anymore - we have more important things to do.
    Phoenix 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    They're cousins @Legume You must watch The Bravo Network. :rofl: It's okay your "cool" now. 
    Damn, it's been a while since I watched that show.  I wish I got the bravo comment @NPHuskerFL, looks funny.  So, they're cousins but Jesse was uncle to both?  And Daisy was a third cousin, not sister to either?  Wtf?  Lots of tragedy in that family with their parents I guess.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Sardonicus I don't blame them either, but there are MANY people here in the south whose ancestors did not own slaves. . .Those folks want to memorialize their ancestors . . .

So, who's stopping them?

I guess this goes a little beyond the flag. I live in the heart of Dixie. There are confederate memorials all around me. Battle fields, museums, etc...  There has been lots of talk in the local media of removing the memorials in said battlefields and museums. Hiding history doesn't erase it. It's really gotten crazy around here. 

So to answer your question, no one, yet.... But it's been in the wind. 

For or the record, I'm fine with taking down the flag on govt property and putting it in the museums around the battlefields etc...  But, we can't deny history, it would be a travesty not to educate future generations and that includes the confederacy.  I just think the media has gone a little crazy. As for the Dukes of hazard etc... To quote you loosely, "it's too bad they don't make TVs with an off switch"
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    I love that video. Never met any of the people but it is funny still.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @blasting you had SOME people with that attitude, SOME maintain a victim mindset.  Just like SOME that fly the flag in question do so to with ill intent and show their disappointing red-neckedness.  Just like congress, there is more than enough blame and bad behavior for both sides of the aisle.  That wasn't the point, the negative is easy to find.

This has actually been a good discussion on a charged topic, I've learned a bunch here.  Please don't drag it into a bad place because of your experience.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Here's the real problem!  
    https://youtu.be/scaAz1zcdXI
    Now go use a wet wipe. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Sardonicus
    edited July 2015
    Options

So, who's stopping them?

I guess this goes a little beyond the flag. I live in the heart of Dixie. There are confederate memorials all around me. Battle fields, museums, etc...  There has been lots of talk in the local media of removing the memorials in said battlefields and museums. Hiding history doesn't erase it. It's really gotten crazy around here. 

So to answer your question, no one, yet.... But it's been in the wind. 

For or the record, I'm fine with taking down the flag on govt property and putting it in the museums around the battlefields etc...  But, we can't deny history, it would be a travesty not to educate future generations and that includes the confederacy.  I just think the media has gone a little crazy. As for the Dukes of hazard etc... To quote you loosely, "it's too bad they don't make TVs with an off switch"

You've mentioned, more than once, that 'we can't deny history'.

To be clear:  Accurate definition/portrait/description of history and its symbols is not denial of history.

It's history.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• blasting
    Options
    Legume said:
    @blasting you had SOME people with that attitude, SOME maintain a victim mindset.  Just like SOME that fly the flag in question do so to with ill intent and show their disappointing red-neckedness.  Just like congress, there is more than enough blame and bad behavior for both sides of the aisle.  That wasn't the point, the negative is easy to find.

This has actually been a good discussion on a charged topic, I've learned a bunch here.  Please don't drag it into a bad place because of your experience.
    I agree, and went back to re-word my post.  As a nation we are tanking - and we are still obsessed (white and black) with skin color.  It drives me bananas.

We have hundreds of lone wolf Isis operatives within our border and we are arguing about flags and skin color.  This being the case - how advanced are we really?  I suspect if the history books are kind, they will refer to us as being asleep at the wheel.

Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Most people have, right or wrong, identified the "Stars and Bars" of the confederacy, as a symbol of slavery.
    To anyone that believes totally, and deeply, the confederate flag has no association with slavery, whatsoever, I feel so badly for you.
    There are many God fearing, tax paying Americans, that are offended by this symbol, or any symbol of slavery, being displayed on our government buildings.
    These Americans fought for our country, These Americans died for our country.
    Ask yourself this: If that flag represented hurt and pain to another sector of American citizens, as in the flag representing the heritage of something else awful like spousal abuse or child abuse, would you want your tax dollars spent on maintaining it?
    I am from the south. I understand southern heritage. There is so much more to Southern Culture, than a flag that represents so much pain, and above all, defeat.
    The CSA, is history. The symbols of the CSA, needs to be in museums, where it can be seen and studied by those that wish to, and not forced upon those who do not.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Over 50,000 free black men volunteered to fight for the confederacy. .... but why? Not for slavery my friends. 
    http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2011/09/black-confederates/

Options
    edited July 2015
    Options
    And just to throw some gasoline on the fire....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZFLk5L70MQ

Options
    Note to people I hate.  You wanna stop me from hating you?  Then stop doing stupid, hurtful and destructive $hit.  Stop trying to change a country that has been the envy of the world for the better part of 200 and thirty some years.  Go to work, quit bitching about who owes you what, and take responsibility for your own $hitty existence.  

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2015
    Options
    And not this

What a terrible Photoshop job.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cazzy that pic was already floating about in the Twitterssphere which is where I lifted it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Sardonicus I believe what i said was hide, not deny( I'm not going back to read all that again so maybe I did). I am not against taking the flag down in SC or any other government facility. I understand it's a symbol of hatred to some and I don't blame them for feeling that way.  I never said anything about the definition of symbols, only that, like anything there are different perspectives. A person has to be open to see all sides. 

What really is bothersome to me is more the talk about taking down war memorials that portray confederate soldiers.  Put the flag on a museum, fine. Just don't destroy all the beautiful, educational parks and battlefields. I live right in the path of Sherman's march to the sea. You can't drive far without seeing at the very least a historical marker on the side of the road. 

Its just an area rich in history, good or bad, but history none the less. 
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    to us northern  yankees thats just a we surrender flag =) nothin more
    It's only halftime, my yankee friend....only halftime!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Let's just ban anything and everything that could possibly be offensive to anybody, including Big Green Eggs.....after all, they have to be offensive to Komodo Joe owners! Then....there would be........nothing left.....except the LEFT!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Sardonicus
    Options
    @Sardonicus I believe what i said was hide, not deny( I'm not going back to read all that again . . .

Actually, you said both.  You don't have to go back all that far . . . it's in your most recent post (before this).

You and the others needn't worry - this will blow over and [most likely] all will be just as it was.  Beautiful, educational parks and battlefields will remain intact.

Meanwhile, we will be pulling the BBack ribs from the freezer later today.  After all, only two more days 'til INDEPENDENCE Day!

Happy Fourth of July, Jason.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @Sardonicus I believe what i said was hide, not deny( I'm not going back to read all that again . . .

Actually, you said both.  You don't have to go back all that far . . . it's in your most recent post (before this).

You and the others needn't worry - this will blow over and [most likely] all will be just as it was.  Beautiful, educational parks and battlefields will remain intact.

Meanwhile, we will be pulling the BBack ribs from the freezer later today.  After all, only two more days 'til INDEPENDENCE Day!

Happy Fourth of July, Jason.

You know, I wish our other brothers and sisters of this fine country would do just as we would here, and what you have noted, @Sardonicus.  Welcome those in, eat together, and be great friends.  Not trying to smooth anything over here fellas at all and I hope no one casts a negative judgement on me.  I believe those that know me know I am a kind person and I like to stand up for what's right.  I am not proud of those bad doings from those before me, however, I am a proud southerner and North Carolinian.   I will agree that some history books and other documents have skewed numbers , NOLA.  No one will know the true number, in my opinion.  

Your other post NOLA, I'm not going there.  That's another thread.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited July 2015
    Options
    warwoman said:
    to us northern  yankees thats just a we surrender flag =) nothin more
    It's only halftime, my yankee friend....only halftime!
    next time we invade the south it will be during an ice storm, 2 maybe 3 days should be all it takes, easy peazey =) we will sneak down in general lee cars
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

XLBGE 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Actually, this wasn't bad and stayed on track.  Very cordial for the most part, IMHO.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    johnkitchens said: Of course the KKK has always used the confederate flag as their symbol. . . and no one can dispute that.  

And before that, a group of seditious states used the confederate flag (choose your version) as their symbol while they waged war with the PRIMARY aim of preserving their practice of enslaving negroes.

It is no surprise that the KKKlan, having views regarding negroes Very Much akin to those who fought beneath that/those Confederate flag(s), would adopt same as one of their banners.

It is equally unsurprising that descendants of those negroes, in the 21st Century often referred to as African-Americans, find that emblem to be malevolent in nature, intent, and spirit.

I don't blame 'em

one bit.

Initially the KKK was essentially a former confederate officers club,hence their values are similar. 

I am going to take a guess why people want the flag taken down. .. it represents a time when human beings were treated with less respect than dogs and viewed as property. If you had family that were forced into slavery and lived in those conditions I bet you'd want the flag removed too. None of my family were slaves and I find it offensive and stupid a government building fly the flag. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I find that people are too easily offended.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA