Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to make Burnt Ends WITHOUT a Brisket

Options
After @SGH's thread of how not to cut a brisket I went on Youtube to see what people are doing with burnt ends.  I found this where the guy uses a chuck roast to make burnt ends.  I believe others on here have said this would work and think I may have to try this out for for Father's Day.  Should be a little cheaper in cost I would think too, SWMBO will like that.  I was thinking of just getting a point from a local butcher I know that has prime brisket points, but they usually about $7 to $8 bucks a pound, will see.  Either way all this talk of brisket and burnt ends have my wanting some bad and SWMBO likes burnt ends.  Look for a possible new thread coming latter this weekend.  Sorry about the advertisement on the video.  Looks like good food though. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-szH1srxOI

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I think you can also use jack fruit  =)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    They look really good.  I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out.  

Since it is fathers day maybe you should pick up a small brisket point and a small chuck roast and do a head to head taste test.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning All:

I've done these a few times and always with great results...below shows a recent cook of them...

We were having a good-bye potluck lunch at work as one of the people is leaving the GAL Program (actually my office mate)...her & her husband do own an Egg (after listening to me talk about it for a couple of years she got him one last Christmas)...so I asked her what she wanted me to bring to the party from the Egg...She asked about the "burnt ends" I had done a few weeks ago, so her wish was my command...since I knew this would be crowd of about 45 people I this time got a total of 7.5 pounds of chuck roast, 3 pieces just on the Egg at 6:00am Tuesday morning...same setup and rub as before...

Took a couple of hours to get to about 160, then wrapped in foil for another hour plus until all three were above 190...pulled them off, cubed, sauced and back on the Egg for about another hour...ready to pull at about 11:00am to head to the office...

and of course the required close-up...

and again there were no leftovers to bring home

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• HoosierDaddy
    Options
    I think you can also use jack fruit  =)
    Lmao
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    SSN686 said:

Morning All:

I've done these a few times and always with great results...below shows a recent cook of them...

We were having a good-bye potluck lunch at work as one of the people is leaving the GAL Program (actually my office mate)...her & her husband do own an Egg (after listening to me talk about it for a couple of years she got him one last Christmas)...so I asked her what she wanted me to bring to the party from the Egg...She asked about the "burnt ends" I had done a few weeks ago, so her wish was my command...since I knew this would be crowd of about 45 people I this time got a total of 7.5 pounds of chuck roast, 3 pieces just on the Egg at 6:00am Tuesday morning...same setup and rub as before...

Took a couple of hours to get to about 160, then wrapped in foil for another hour plus until all three were above 190...pulled them off, cubed, sauced and back on the Egg for about another hour...ready to pull at about 11:00am to head to the office...

and of course the required close-up...

and again there were no leftovers to bring home

Was anything in the pan?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My local Kroger sells brisket points from time  to time, and they're not outrageously priced. I think I made burnt ends out of one, since SWMBO lOVES them. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning dougcrann:

Only thing in the pan was the meat cubes coated with sauce.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    They look really good.  I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out.  

Since it is fathers day maybe you should pick up a small brisket point and a small chuck roast and do a head to head taste test.  
    I was thinking the same thing.  I was thinking of just going out to a big brunch,  but I like this idea better. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Look pretty good!  Must be tender ?
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I bought a Mortons Tri Tip at Costco, has anyone converted that into a pan full of burnt ends?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I bought a Mortons Tri Tip at Costco, has anyone converted that into a pan full of burnt ends?
    I don't think that's a good use of a tri-tip.  Definitely not enough fat for proper burnt ends.
    NOLA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    A Tri Tip is the bottom of the sirloin and is very lean so I don't think it would do as well as a fatty chuck roast and that it seems kind of a waste to cook that nice piece of meat to well done.  IMO  I like mine medium rear like a steak.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    You do need fatty cuts for burnt ends and a chuck does qualify.  I accidentally made a few last time I cooked a chuck and really like them. A whole batch would be interesting.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I knew it. The wallet curse of the big green egg strikes again. Back to the butcher for prime chuck. This is why I love this forum.
    Thank you for helping me out Buzd504, Laidback69, B&BKnox. Should we ever meet, beer or bourbon or some other concoction will be on me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    @dougcrann , what temperature did you cook at? I've been trying something similar without very good results.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    after seeing this thread I bolted down to Publix and got a 3 pound chuck roast. Its on the egg right now. I'll post pics later when its done
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    after seeing this thread I bolted down to Publix and got a 3 pound chuck roast. Its on the egg right now. I'll post pics later when its done
    @MaC122 , When you post the pictures please include your cooking technique. That goes for @dougcrann also.  I've made 1 attempt at this and didn't like my results and need some suggestions.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA