Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine--- pointless for egg?

Options
2»

Comments

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    I always brine poultry. The only reason is to draw blood out of the bones so I do not get blood spotting on the meat. I use pink salt in the brine to prevent the spotting.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Moisture is debatable because my chickens always seem juicy.   
    This is why I started the debate exactly. All of my pork and chicken are extremely juicy without it. So for me, I don't think it would add much there either. 
    @chubbs - give the wet brine a try on some thick chops.  You'll be surprised, trust me.  You should also try the salt on the chicken.  First time I tried the chicken I thought no way in hell this will make a difference but damn was I surprised.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm with Chubbs. I have never brined anything. No idea what it would taste like. The meat/poultry I cook is delicious without it. Very flavorful and moist. And now that I'm on a low sodium diet, it's never gonna happen anyway.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @cazzy - I have done many, many turkeys via sous vide.  I don't brine them, I don't find it necessary with sous vide if you just salt them in the bag.  Try it both ways - I think you'll find it doesn't make a difference and you save a lot of labor not doing the brining.
    Options
    @cazzy - I have done many, many turkeys via sous vide.  I don't brine them, I don't find it necessary with sous vide if you just salt them in the bag.  Try it both ways - I think you'll find it doesn't make a difference and you save a lot of labor not doing the brining.
    I will try it in the bag...thanks for the tip boss!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Options
    I followed a brine recipe from the cooking channel once for Thanksgiving cooked to birds and the regular one was the favorite I do not try to brine any more, Only four posts away way from being good for the elf exchange.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Since getting the BGE, I have not used brine for any cook. I just have not needed to. I have used marinades, but mostly as a sauce for the final stage of BBQ. I totally get what Chubbs is saying, the results are awesome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I don't know.  I think NEVER brining makes about as much sense as ALWAYS brining.  One should experiment.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Only thing I ever brine is turkeys. I like the saltiness it gives to the meat and not just on the outside. I won't cook a turkey without brining anymore.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I brine with cream
    Do you ever inject with cream? 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Most chicken is already brined when you buy it - at least the grocery store stuff here in Canada is - including the organic stuff. As Cen-Tex points out, weigh a pice before and after brining. If you could make $1.99 a pound for selling some water wouldn't you do it? 
    I do brine some free range yardbirds I get from a local guy as I know he doesn't brine. Local Costco and Safeway, no need to brine because it has already been brined. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Dry brine thick chops always. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i dont brine whole birds since most of them come that way from the store.  i do however brine most of my pork (especially chops)