Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin Roast

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
Earlier I had asked for direction on doing a low and slow whole beef tenderloin from the Lords of the Egg. Y'all came through to make my first an absolute, over the top, best ever success I have ever had with Gretchen, my BGE XL.
i was told how to from trimming, to time, to temp, to reverse sear, to smoke, the whole way through. Thank each and everyone of you for your help. 
I used olive oil, seasoned with a mix of garlic, onion, salt, pepper, creole seasoning, and rubbed it all in with bacon drippings. Cooked low and slow, smoked with Cherry and maple, reversed sear, and sliced to serve as mini sliders, with horseradish blended with yogurt and mayonnaise. Nothing left. 9 pounds gone. We had Fat Tire, Angry Orchard on tap, and served vintage Bordeaux and Burgundy as well.
absolutely wonderful evening with friends and family. 
Sunday, the big party of our reception, begins!
Thank you my BGE experts. This was so awesome because of you!
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    LooksGreat!!!!!

LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• YukonRon
    Options
    grege345 said:
    LooksGreat!!!!!

Thank you 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks and sounds great. Hope you had enough. That wouldn't last long at my house. Nice!
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    awesome, great job!
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Glad yours came out well. This is why I do them this way.
    I used to buy whole filets from Costco and cut them into steaks and freeze. Thinner ones for my wife and thicker for me. She always had some left over and since they were past medium, I didn't want to finish hers. So we had another couple over last night and I took a whole filet and cut a section that would give us each a 2" piece, knowing the ladys would only want a thin slice and us guys would get a thicker piece. Cooked at 300 on raised grid, had a CI griddle on the spider below. Pull at 110-115 and rested. Removed the grid and opened up the vent, got to 600 in a matter of minutes. Seared 90 seconds on each quarter turn (total of 6 minutes). Pulled and it was 125-130, tented and rested for 10 minutes.

I had seasoned with worcestershire sauce and my espresso-cocoa rub. After the rest, set it on a board sauce of EVOO, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Sliced two 3/4" pieces for the women and guys each got pieces over 3" thick. The result was no left over pieces and everything was a perfect medium rare. Personally I don't care much for filets, as they don't have much flavor to me, so we made a gorganzola cream sauce that was great and had some left over dressing and VI's jalapeno cream corn.

fil.jpg 87.2K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It looks great man. Glad that it turned out well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    Thank you. Doing 6 fresh picnic hams and 30 more chicken legs today. We are expecting about 60 people. This is absolutely over the top.
    Just like the night before, no Leftovers and some good natured fighting broke out for the last piece.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Just like the night before, no Leftovers and some good natured fighting broke out for the last piece.
    This is what I like to hear^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I use to love both fighting and eating. Now I'm old and wore out. I have to stick with just eating now. I may not can win a fight anymore, but I can still bring most people to their knees when it comes to eating. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Because of the cost I don't do beef TL's very often, but you absolutely nailed it on the Egg, damn that looks good!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• YukonRon
    Options
    Absolute blast the last couple of nights.
    my BIL came up and did 6 fresh picnic hams, I did chicken, and my SIL did an amazing job on wedding cakes, and so many delicious sides. Bleau Cheese Cake was the hit.Everybody pitched in for the event!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky