Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your Longest Cook Time

Options
What has been your longest cook time? 
I think back I think 12 hours has been the max.
As I look at the cook times for this weekend it looks like (I know you cook by temp) an 18 lb of pork will be 18 Hr if it is 1hr per LB ( Low end) and as much as 36 Hr if it is 2 hr per LB ( High end) 

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I think mine was 12 or 14, I can't remember.  I first cooked 7 slabs of ribs and 7 pounds of sausage for about 4.5 hours then put on 2-9 pound pork butts and an 18 pound brisket for another 8 to 9 hours I think.  I pulled the pulled the butts and brisket when they got to just over 150 then finished them the next day in the oven.  That was a long day.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just to clarify if you have two 9 lb butts it won't take any longer than one 9 lb butt.  

That being said I have gone for 20 hours.  I was using a temp controller and had it set very low just for timing reasons.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

And I didn't even fill 'er up.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I did 16 pounds of boston butt that took 20 hours at 200-215.  I was sweating it when it hit the stall and hung there for 5 hours!  After that, I swore I'd never let my temps get below 275 for a low and slow boston butt!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    20 hours. Brisket followed wings followed by ribs. The next day I still had enough coal left to cook some chicken. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Just to clarify if you have two 9 lb butts it won't take any longer than one 9 lb butt.  

That is correct, but at 250 after 8 hours oh so they weren't all the way done, but I was and at 150 degrees they weren't going to take any smoke.  I have done 2-8 pound pork butts cooking at 275 to 300 done in just over 6 hours.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    21 hours on an XL. Plenty of lump left
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    14 hours for 40+ lbs pork butt.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    My longest so far was 17 hours on a large. Still had lump left for a couple direct cooks.
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    23 hours 18 minutes for a pork butt, crazy it took that long:

LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    18 hours on my medium. No issue.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

That is correct, but at 250 after 8 hours oh so they weren't all the way done, but I was and at 150 degrees they weren't going to take any smoke.  I have done 2-8 pound pork butts cooking at 275 to 300 done in just over 6 hours.
    @Ladeback69 - nothing wrong with that approach at all.  My comment was meant for @JerseyTex.  He mentioned he has 18 lbs of butt so it might take 18 hours.  I suspect it is actually 2 butts unless it is one whole shoulder, so the cook time might not be 18 hours unless the temp is really low. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    26 straight hours with Fogo lump. Still lump left for breakfast 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    22 hours with Royal Oak at 225 and still some left over.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    14 hours on a butt 
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Just did 12 hrs in my XL and it looks like I have 1/2 the charcoal left.   I know many say the XL uses way more charcoal but man I know I could have gotten 24hrs if not more.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    22 hours in my XL with more than half the lump leftover. 18 pound brisket 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I had a pork butt that went 18-19hrs before it finally hit temp. was still juicy and delicious! and then used the leftover lump twice doing burgers.  Had one where I let it run at 275 until it died... after about 28hrs... 
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    22.5 hrs. On a 13.5# butt...
    I know a competition guy that cooks his butts minimum 24 hrs and sometimes longer.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options

ryantt said:
    Just did 12 hrs in my XL and it looks like I have 1/2 the charcoal left.   I know many say the XL uses way more charcoal but man I know I could have gotten 24hrs if not more.  
    I've gone 22.5 in my xl and only used 25-30%  of the lump. Filled to the platesetter.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    my longest cook time was this past weekend for my home office party it was 22 hours non - stop but I must clarify it wasn't one cook it was three separate back to back to back started with 4 4.5 butts then 4 racks ribs then capped of with over 80 wings it was quite fun I must say :)    

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    23 hours 18 minutes for a pork butt, crazy it took that long:

another Stoker X user.   Love that app.

Mine was about 18 hours low n slow but after that I kept the Egg going and threw some more lump in there for a hot cook that second night.  I'd say my Egg was hot for about 30 hours.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • JerseyTex
    JerseyTex Posts: 53
    Options
    I bought the but at Sams I did not open the shrink wrap it looks like one piece of meat. I will not be sure until I open it.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    24 hours straight but not the same meat the whole time.
    I just did a butt for 19 1/2 hours using my CyberQ.  Never had more than a 5 degree variation and probably used 2/3 of my lump.
    Large Green Egg

Kansas City, KS
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    JerseyTex said:
    I bought the but at Sams I did not open the shrink wrap it looks like one piece of meat. I will not be sure until I open it.
    An 18 pound butt is huge!! Must have come off the state fair grand champion! Normal retail packaging is to include two butts per package (each 7-10 pounds). If you look closely, you should be able to see a split between the two pieces while it is still in the package. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Scottyboy
    Scottyboy Posts: 40
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I did 2 9lb butts on my large and the cook went 21 hours and still had lots of lump left.  No controller needed, temp was rock solid at around 230 deg.
    XL, LBGE, Adjustable Rig
    Shelbyville, IN
  • MrWilliams
    MrWilliams Posts: 112
    Options
    2 butts for 16 hours then ribs for about 3.  Total of 19 on my XL.  Plenty of lump left.
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've had a fire keep for over 30 hours in my XL. I started it before bed Saturday night (stabilized by 10pm) and loaded up with pork butt for a party the next day. The next day came, and I got a little loose with 12oz curls. Took the butts off, left the guru on and went back to the partying. It was still holding 250 strong with lump left to burn when I went to leave for work Monday morning and noticed it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    JerseyTex said:
    The butts I have purchased from Sam's have always been two per package.  Maybe yours is different.   I'm going to pickup 4 for this weekend tomorrow.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat