Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs For RRP

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,030
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
RRP was asking about Hormel ribs the other day and what people thought.  A few of us eggers here on the forum have a BGE rib competition coming up in a few weekends that is partially sponsored by Hormel.  Each team is given two racks of Hormel St. Louis ribs to cook.  So I picked up a couple Hormel racks at the local grocery store to practice on.  RRP was wondering the quality of the meat from Hormel.  To be honest I really couldn't tell much of a difference in taste from the chemical and hormone free ribs I did last weekend from the butcher and the basic Hormel ribs.  Once you rub and sauce up the ribs it wasn't much difference in taste.  It might be different if you do naked ribs.  I think the tenderness of the meat itself were close to the same.  A couple pics.....

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Nice pullback off the bone. Shoot I'd eat those.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    Those look just about perfect to me!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Nice pullback off the bone. Shoot I'd eat those.
    @badinfluence Thank you!  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Those look just about perfect to me!  
    @JohnInCarolina Thanks!  

Minnesota
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That poor lonely rib all by its lonesome. I'd eat that and it's mates. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Thank you! I'm turbo-egging my first rack of Hormel brand this evening.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Great looking ribs.  I have used Hormel brand cyro-wrapped ribs on many occasions; never any problems with them. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • WeberWho
    Options
    That poor lonely rib all by its lonesome. I'd eat that and it's mates. 
    @theyolksonyou Haha thanks!  I ate way too many ribs, cornbread, and potato salad.  

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thank you! I'm turbo-egging my first rack of Hormel brand this evening.
    @RRP You will have to let us know what you think of them

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

jaydub58 said:
    Great looking ribs.  I have used Hormel brand cyro-wrapped ribs on many occasions; never any problems with them. 
    @jaydub58 Thank you!  I don't have any issues with Hormel and will stock up when I can get them for $8 a rack

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah, I'd say you got you a winner there. Some beans and slaw and away we go. 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    You got my vote.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Top notch!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Yeah, I'd say you got you a winner there. Some beans and slaw and away we go. 
    @pgprescott Thank you sir!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Tinyfish said:
    You got my vote.
    @Tinyfish very much appreciated!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Top notch!!
    @JohnnyTarheel Hey thanks!

Minnesota
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The ribs look like a home run to me. For the record, I have never had any issue with any Hormel product. I got to ask, who is this RRP that you speak of ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @WeberWho? Why did you disagree with my first post? Did they not turn out as well as they look?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    Options
    No pictures but my ribs were OK, but not good - I say OK due to my fault of not checking them before 2 hours as they were already overdone to my liking by that time. Typically spares always take about 2 hrs 15 minutes or there about - turbo wise for me. By 2 hours they were crusty and the meat read 210º. 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Nice looking ribs - I think were in trouble.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• WeberWho
    Options
    SGH said:
    The ribs look like a home run to me. For the record, I have never had any issue with any Hormel product. I got to ask, who is this RRP that you speak of ;)
    @SGH Thanks!  Hormel works for me

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    My bad at @badinfluence My fat fingers must have hit it when scrolling on my phone.  I clicked on the dislike button again so hopefully it went away now.  Sorry about that

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

RRP said:
    No pictures but my ribs were OK, but not good - I say OK due to my fault of not checking them before 2 hours as they were already overdone to my liking by that time. Typically spares always take about 2 hrs 15 minutes or there about - turbo wise for me. By 2 hours they were crusty and the meat read 210º. 
    @RRP Thanks for the update!  That's too bad about the ribs.  You'll get them perfect next time!

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Nice looking ribs - I think were in trouble.
    @brisket_fanatic I'd love to crack the top 10. I'll take anything but 35th.

What's your team name again?  I'll make sure we get everyone set up next to one another this year.  

Minnesota
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @Weberwho? - Bone Collector's BBQ

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• RRP
    Options
    WeberWho? said:

@RRP Thanks for the update!  That's too bad about the ribs.  You'll get them perfect next time!
    Thanks - I've been doing spares only for several years now and I prefer to trim them to St Louis style myself. In fact I wonder if that was part of last night's problem. My trimmed spares are at least 30% larger and these Hormels were small! Like I said they were in the meat bin next to the baby backs and the sizes were identical..."tiny"!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @WeberWho?, Very nice looking ribs and I see you are a sauce guy.  Is this rib contest you talking about a new Through down?  I  hope so that would be fun, but if so do they have to be Hormel?  Oh by the way, GO ROYALS!
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    RRP said:
    WeberWho? said:

Thanks - I've been doing spares only for several years now and I prefer to trim them to St Louis style myself. In fact I wonder if that was part of last night's problem. My trimmed spares are at least 30% larger and these Hormels were small! Like I said they were in the meat bin next to the baby backs and the sizes were identical..."tiny"!
    @RRP Hormel definitely varies rack to rack for size.  Some of the racks do look like baby backs.  The two racks I picked up were much different in thickness from one another  

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

@WeberWho?, Very nice looking ribs and I see you are a sauce guy.  Is this rib contest you talking about a new Through down?  I  hope so that would be fun, but if so do they have to be Hormel?  Oh by the way, GO ROYALS!
    @Ladeback69  Hey I'll take the 2 out of 3 games against the Royals last week!  The rib competition is put on by a local egg dealer that is partially sponsored by Hormel.  I do like the throw down idea though 

Minnesota