Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This is probably unlikely but does anyone here not eat carbs?

Options
I started a week and a half of so ago and am seeing great results. But it also limits what I can eat/put on my food obviously. 

Is there any BBQ sauce out there I can buy with no carbs or anyway to make one? I was thinking a vinegar based sauce may be possible. Help me please
Nashville, TN and huge Tennessee Vols fan

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Oldest son chooses to eat restricted carb diet, one day a week he “cheats”. Works very well for him. He doesn’t restrict sauces, just watches the portion size. 
    Seems to me the carbs in a standard serving of BBQ sauce is <10% of daily allowances. Assuming you can get by with only about 30-40ml of sauce. 
    Last night we had salmon and roasted cauliflower - no sauces needed. I did not miss the taters - he might be onto something. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigGreenVOL
    Options
    I can't cheat, it sucks. Also just FYI cauliflower is pretty carb heavy, which kind of shocked me.
    Nashville, TN and huge Tennessee Vols fan
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @BigGreenVOL this is one someo done posted on here a while back (sorry I forgot who it was). My wife and I don't buy bread/pasta or other traditional "carb heavy" foods but still eat a good bit of beans and vegetables and have had great results. Might be something to look into if you find that no carbs isn't realistic long term. 

Vinegar sauce
    1 C white vinegar1 C cider vinegar1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak
    2 days or more is best)
    1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce1 tsp. kosher salt1 tsp. cracked black pepperMakes 2 Cups
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Beer = carbs.   
    A carb-free diet would never work for me.  What else are you supposed to do while egging?  :confused::
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Ok ... let me take this conversation in a different direction. How about 'cutting back' on carb intake and speeding up your metabolism?

This works. I don't think I'll get any responses to this posting, so I won't post what to do - but if you Google the following 'H.I.I.T' ... (Hi Intensity Interval Training' there's plenty of info on it. Best of all, it's a really simple program.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I agree with @SoCalTim. @BigGreenVOL, I noticed that you said you can't cheat. Is this because of a diet prescribed by a medical provider? If not, there are several diets that work. I recommend finding the one that matches your dietary likes. It's easier to stick with if it allows you to eat the things you like. A few years ago, I lost a total of about 35lbs. at a rate of about 2-3lbs. a week eating a diet consisting of about 50% carbs. Yes...50% carbs.  It was very easy for me to follow with plenty of energy. I also started an exercise routine. Basically walking and swimming, nothing extreme. Sad to say, I've gained most of it back. This was not a crash diet and the only reason I gained it back was due to returning to old habits and lack of exercise. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • cvd313
    cvd313 Posts: 1
    Options
    I restrict carbs from time to time to slim down.  Doing it now and it works great for me.  Here's a low carb bbq sauce I found. G Hughes Smokehouse Sugar Free BBQ Sauce.  I got the Hickory Flavored and its pretty good imho.  I found it at a Walmart. Good luck!
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Was on a car restricted eating plan for a while. Dropped the pounds like there was no tomorrow.  But then I married a Mexican, rice and tortillas are a way of life for her. Sadly she has developed a lot of health problems.....one of them is diabetes.  All of her docs have told her she needs to change things...including her absolute refusal to exercise.  
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Being diabetic here as well there is NO way you can cut ALL carbs from your diet. Carbs are energy without them you will be sluggish all the time.

My doctor told me they don't want me to intake more then 70 carbs per meal. It does work out well for me but I am NOT  a doctor.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I can't cheat, it sucks. Also just FYI cauliflower is pretty carb heavy, which kind of shocked me.
    Good luck with whatever you find works. Cauliflower is about 1% of daily requirements for a 100g serving, according to our carb counter fridge magnet.  Broccoli is almost twice as much. The really big carb killers I thought were spuds (5X cauliflower), corn (24X cauliflower), acorn squash and even carrots(3X cauliflower). 
    Depends if you have to stop all carbs or just lighten the intake. Lots of good advice from those on here who are health pros. Again, good luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    There's a big difference in healthy complex carbs and simple carbs like sugar. Note:  I'm not a dietician or dr. My wife and I both lost a lot quickly by cutting out the simple carbs and keeping the veggies minus corn and white potatoes. 

Them em I joined the forum and started cooking all this tasty food that goes well with potatoes and corn and we both gained it all back. :) 
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    There's a big difference in healthy complex carbs and simple carbs like sugar. Note:  I'm not a dietician or dr. My wife and I both lost a lot quickly by cutting out the simple carbs and keeping the veggies minus corn and white potatoes. 

Them em I joined the forum and started cooking all this tasty food that goes well with potatoes and corn and we both gained it all back. :) 
    She pretty much refuses to alter her eating habits at all. She has some food allergies as well...and attempts to hide behind them. Forgot about the taters, another staple in our diet. She had gained a crap load of weighT and refuses to listen to me....or the docs....She has been known to throw out ridiculous statements....everybody gains weight as they age being one of them. When I counter that with how come your Dad hasn't she changes the subject. I have all but given up...talking to her about it is about like peeing on a forest fire.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options

Eating no carbs is not very practical or sustainable IMO. Eating less (simple)carbs, limiting portion sizes, and exercising regularly will help you lose weight, without feeling deprived. myfitnesspal is a great app to help you with this. Simple carbs are generally "white" foods - potatoes, rice, pasta, bread/flour, sugar - to put it simply.

Its not that hard to lose some weight. Keeping it off can be challenging.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stemc33
    Options

The forum is a diet killer for sure. The only way to get by without picking up a few pounds is to only open devastated and political type threads
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    MyFitnessPal is exactly how I lost the weight. I logged every single thing that went into my mouth. The one day(Thanksgiving) that I ate without logging doomed me. Shortly after I quit exercising. Now I just talk about needing to get going again. I'm a procrastinator. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    We're all different, and this probably isn't a risk for most people, but I learned the hard way that low carb diets can drastically increase the risk of kidney stones.  Had no idea, when I did it, but terrible pain and very expensive medical care were the result.  For some people low carb diets are probably reasonable, but you might want to talk to your doctor about it to be sure it's a good idea for you.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Let me be perfectly clear on this. Carbs is one of my very favorites. Can't live without them.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    Options
    SGH said:
    Let me be perfectly clear on this. Carbs is one of my very favorites. Can't live without them.
    Straight up fish story. You're a Tyrannosaurus Rex that rips through as much meat as possible. I've never seen any pics of you baking bread in Unit 6. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Straight up fish story. You're a Tyrannosaurus Rex that rips through as much meat as possible. I've never seen any pics of you baking bread in Unit 6. 
    It's been months ago, but I did post some biscuits and sausage together that I did on unit #6. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I love catfish but hate carps. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

We go low carb every once in a while and we like this sauce.

https://youtu.be/wjca1POpFwg

Flint, Michigan
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    I have been keto friendly for a bit over a year.  I started at 295 pounds and am proud to say that this morning I was 222. I'm almost down 75 pounds!!!

My secret to success is the keto philosophy.  Read the back labels of everything you eat! If your net carbs push you out of your daily numbers, pass it up or substitute for something similar.

I would love to answer any questions....

You can very much live a low carb or keto friendly diet with the BGE.  I have 2 eggs and have managed just as well.  

Eat when you are hungry, watch your portions, when you are satiated put down the food, and learn to love water more than Michael Phelps!

And before anyone wants to start the health debate, I have been an ER nurse for 8 years and I fully endorse this lifestyle.  Most dieticians and more and more MDs are recommending a low carb diet to help prevent diabeted....and its working.   :)

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Lost 75# on a very low carb diet. Walden Farms was one of the brands recommended by my dr to supplement the things I had to cut out like ketchup and salad dressings because they are carb free. Not  delicious, just carb free.

http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/sauce_bbq.html

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i did 3 months keeping carbs under 20 per day, could have gone longer but went to bed one night and found the remains of buttered fried toast in the morning =) i cooked it while sleep walking. little steven said he had done the same, nocternal sleep-related syndrom. as far as i know its the only time it happened but i dont try and limit carbs that low anymore, i still try and keep them under 50 though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I'm off the simple carbs (one week in, with one cheat day) and also am today 7 days alcohol-free.  Carbs are easy compared to the drinks.  It's definitely not sustainable for me as a lifestyle choice, but I know the secret to dropping the lbs is in the bread and booze.  After a pretty "bingy" winter, I'm tipping the scale at numbers that just don't work for me.  And, I'm "studying" for my next cholesterol check in a few weeks.  For me, if I drop 10-15 lbs, all my numbers fall into line.  If I'm up where I am now, it's going to be a stern lecture from the Doc and SWMBO.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I have used the original Atkins diet as a tool to lose excessive weight a few times. For me, I need to stay on the induction phase if I expect reasonable weight loss rates. This means keeping carbs at under 15 grams per day. More and I always plateau for long periods of time. I did go from 309#s down to 245#s using this diet plan. Since it took about 10 months to achieve that weight drop I did have a few holiday cheats. But I found energy levels to be pretty good under this plan for me. I played sports and had no energy issues.

It is about time to repeat this diet plan as I have been steadily gaining weight back since I stopped. If I am not dieting, I am gaining. Now with the BGE it should be a bit more fun to prepare the week's main proteins.

As for BBQ sauce? I always just winnged it. A vinegar based with Splenda as sweetener. A bit of tomato. Lots of spices from the rack.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    I've been on the Paleo way of eating for sometime now, works great for me.  No such thing as No Carb, your veggies and fruit have carbs in them, but you can go extremely low carb.  I strive for 30 grams or less a day.  
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff