Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Devastated

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Public housing was built in the US starting in the '30s as slum clearance and because there was a progressive movement with sanitation initiatives. Private developers demanded a private structure be torn down for every unit of public housing built. Slums were valuable real-estate and developers wanted the land. Also, the slums were thought to be sources of disease, and building codes were being advanced.  In the early days, public housing was more working class and middle class white than it ended up being before the large settlements were dismantled.

UCFFAN said:
    " It started raining pretty hard and apparently he wrapped himself around the nest of my big green and pulled it off the patio, busting it into about 5 pieces."

YIKES!! Now THIS is an outright TRAGEDY.... Saddest post I have ever seen on the EggHead Forum! Feel so bad for you! Hang in there! This will certainly make your appreciate your 2nd BGE even MORE!! Best of luck to you!

Thank you. It will be going somewhere Diesel can't get close to. His little bad ass has been grounded. LOL
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Now get back to your motorboat and glider Memes. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Just so I understand the rules, it's ok to mock someone who is mocking someone, but not ok to mock that person?

And, Stike, just because you think you're so much smarter than me doesn't make it necessarily so. You have no idea of my level of intelligence. Stop being so uptight. 
    Then this.. "If someone wanted to do nothing but comment on spelling and grammar here, it could be a fulltime job.  Especially given the demographic."

He saying we're poor and cannot afford an education here?  Come on Dike, get your head out of the sand.  
    Logical fallacies do not help your argument, they just enforce his.
    His logical fallacies places him in the same group that he's poking at....  Just saying... 

On the flip side, I am just trying to stoke the fire.  I can give two rips what he thinks about me or my demographic.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    @GATraveller If we're referring to political and religious beliefs and that sways you in meeting or wanting to meet certain eggheads then my only suggestion would be keep an open mind.
    I agree with this - I really think that part of the reason our political discourse is so polarized and so lacking in civility is because of the ease to only hear opinions that match the ones we already have.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    henapple said:
    @GATraveller ...I couldn't disagree more. @nolaegghead and @Eggcelsior and I are so far apart on the political / religious spectrum but I can't imagine people I'd rather hang out with. I'd hate to surround myself with only like minded people. 
    My monthly men's group consist of a conservative, moderate, social extremist and a Lutheran Padre that makes Marx look like Reagan. 
    If you can't be friends with people with other views. ...
    I was just making a joke - guess the level of sarcasm was not high enough for detection.  Hell......I'm a repo man - my skin is quite thick and I hate everyone equally. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ...all I wanted was a Pepsi!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoF_a0-7xVQ

Options
    My bad...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    henapple said:
    henapple said:
    Maybe. We have some culture problems with some of these institutions that are counter productive to the end goal of maintaining peace and order, 

the projects? 
    Who built the projects? There is the real culprit.
    I'm assuming our tax dollars did. Saw an interesting show about this. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Taylor_Homes
    I would wager a single fire starter square, that most of us that drive by these locations, "the projects", we thank our lucky stars for our good fortune, not having to live there.

They were built by our government using our tax dollars. Our government also uses our tax dollars to fund every kind of social program that was developed to help these Americans who live there.

All this government has done for these Americans, has further segregated societal heritage, and culture. In doing so, we have tried to systematically enforce human corralling on levels unprecedented in any other Democratic country with an economy even remotely close to ours.

We should also remember, these are the lucky Americans. Millions more are homeless.

We can sit back and watch this continue, (and continue it will), or we can step up, each of us, and do something.

These people are Americans. We are too. I do not advocate being our brother's keeper or implementation of the further socialization of our country, but instead, help where your impact will be the greatest.

I am trying. These are our brothers and sisters.

Our taxes spent on this issue is not working. We can't spend enough to make it go away. We have to make it happen. I don't even pretend to have all the answers, but the evidence speaks for itself. The government system is failing these Americans.

We can do better.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Inspiring
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @GATraveller Repo Man. Now I want to hear some stories. I KNOW you've have to have some doozies in your rolodex. :wink: 
    FWIW I figured you were being sarcastic earlier. :smile: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @YukonRon I appreciate your sentiment.   However statements like this are patently untrue:

"All this government has done for these Americans, has further segregated societal heritage, and culture. In doing so, we have tried to systematically enforce human corralling on levels unprecedented in any other Democratic country with an economy even remotely close to ours."

We fought a civil war to end slavery, gave blacks the right to vote (and women), shut down jim crow laws (which lasted until 1965, into my life) and the government has generally worked (the government is "the people" by the way) to integrate minorities into the mainstream - anti-apartheid and all that.  Laws again housing descrimination, etc.  How can you possibly ignore all that?

The problem's we're having are with people/government being xenophbic, trying to pass laws like making it illegal to have your pants hang off your ass (I'm not a fan of that style, btw) and disenfranchising the poor.  And there's just people with sticks up their ass.

Again, I appreciate the sentiment.  That's a good start, and I like to keep it real.
    Options
    The 'demographic' is people drinking and talking about food. Has nothing to do with level of education

No fallacies involved, either. No one was commenting on grammar and spelling in a post 50 pages deep. So it thought it was fairly humorous that the first person to do so (henapple's posting the pic of a guy with a misspelled sign) was a good time to point out the error in his own previous post

It doesn't mean I am free of errors. It means merely that I don't point anyone's out unless they start to. 

Every single person here, self included, makes these same errors. Because this place isn't hung up on spelling and grammar as a rule

To me, it was just another example in this thread of people calling someone out for the same sh!t they themselves do. 

It wasn't about me or anyone elses being error free.

The amazing thing to me about this place is how, when it started, the members made great claims as to the level of discussion here being so much more civil, less base, better moderated, more about food, not dominated by a few personalities, etc. than the "old" forum. Fast forward a couple years and, what with humans being humans, this place is virtually the same. 

I don't have a stame in it one way or the other. Just interesting to note. The more things change....
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

This looks like the same girl from page 20 something!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I was on this forum for almost two years and it was sprinkled predominantly (except maybe for Tweev) with conservative narrative, guns, 'merican stuff like that.  For those almost two years I just bit my tongue.  Just like you strike up a conversation with someone and they drop some inappropriate bomb in the conversation, what do you do?   I understand this is a BBQ forum.  Nuff said.  I started to be a foil, devil's advocate.  But I didn't open the doors, those were opened by others.  Now I've opened a few, but I think it's good for everyone to be exposed to different ideas.  Many people will hate, but I will not.  I understand where they're coming from.  It's important to have dialogs.  We're not all that different, but we need to discuss issues honestly.
    Options
    NOLAegghead: then just keep it "Real".
    I think the laws and movements you have cited further bolsters my position.
    It only changes when we change it.
    "Expecting change from the current situation without doing anything, works best with weather, not poverty."
    Best regards.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Best regards to you, sir.
    Options

:o Careful, now.  You're gonna make heads explode !

(Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D )

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Twins

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited April 2015
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    . . .
    The amazing thing to me about this place is how, when it started, the members made great claims as to the level of discussion here being so much more civil, less base, better moderated, more about food, not dominated by a few personalities, etc. than the "old" forum. . .

I wasn't here for 'the Good Ol' Days'.  Still, it seems that "this place" is pretty much as you described. 

This one thread is just that:  One threadOf many.

Outside this thread, there're some awesome food skills displayed, great food ideas presented, and tools/techniques discussed on a regular basis.

Inside this thread, there're people who choose not to scroll past it. 

It's pretty easy to scroll past things we don't want to be involved in and equally effortless to click on threads we do enjoy - for whatever sick, twisted, depraved reasons. 

We should always do that.  ;)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what the main thread is about, but based on recent posts I think the following is ON topic...

Kate Upton- Cat Daddy (Vimeo)

Video link above.   Still below;

LBGE/Maryland
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Totally appropriate...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    up here the projects seem to be working out well, within three generations some are even starting to speak english. and to simplify the confusion of all the cultures in the city ... irish, german, italian, french canadian, lebanese, lithuanians, jew, polish and english, we transformed the whole city into hispanic, really simplifies the paperwork
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    bouncing boob gifs