Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much is prudent to spend on a used egg? Input please.

Options
2»

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    blasting said:
    Does anybody know why my posts are being flagged for review all of a sudden?  I responded to greg as well and it went for review.  Are their certain words that trigger this?
    Sometimes if there are several quotes that'll happen. Also, the after approved part appears to be a hoax. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    blasting said:
    Does anybody know why my posts are being flagged for review all of a sudden?  I responded to greg as well and it went for review.  Are their certain words that trigger this?
    Sometimes if there are several quotes that'll happen. Also, the after approved part appears to be a hoax. 
    I can't imagine the moderation queue for this forum...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @dmw good point, bunch of drunken wannabe teenagers
  • DMW
    Options
    @dmw good point, bunch of drunken wannabe teenagers
    That too, I meant there's almost 4 years of crap that's been flagged for moderation that probably has never been looked at.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    DMW - I like your new signature line pic.  very cool to see everything in one place like that.

Collins - I remember your thread well.  In fact that is what made me think that I need to not pay more than half price of new in case that happened.  I think though I'm going to hold out for a warranty, otherwise I'd be dead in the water.
    Phoenix 
  • Collins87
    Collins87 Posts: 50
    Options
    Yep at least the new base is under warnty now. But I think it's less stressful when you buy new. It's totaly worth it.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    blasting said:

I'm in North Phx. but I know your son's area well.  I drive down to his area weekly to check on a few vacation homes for some folks - just to make sure they haven't melted.
    Well, if you haven't been there yet, next time you're down that way ya gotta try Rudy's at 845 N Litchfield Rd, Goodyear, AZ

Trust me, it will sustain you till you get an Egg.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @UncleFred ... Your post this morning made me chuckle.  Last week we went to Rudy's in Chandler.  Even though it's a franchise, the food, like you suggested, has always been very good.  Certainly better than what we can get back home. 

After cooking BBQ on the egg, I found their food to be less than stellar.  Certainly better than restaurants back home, but definitely not as good as what the egg produces.  So, as you said, "it will sustain you till you get an Egg", but then ...

PS ... Their sauce is worth taking home.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    blasting said:
    That normally occurs if you had quoted another post and it too had quoted a post. BTW then your stopped post will never be shown. Also some links also get the boot.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blasting
    Options
    unclefred - Next time I eat out I'll give Rudys a try.  Thanks.

What's interesting, is this forum has gotten me obsessed with cooking my own food, so I virtually never eat out.  Not to mention that eating out cuts into my egg savings.   Eating out has gotten to be crazy expensive.
    Phoenix 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    blasting said:

What's interesting, is this forum has gotten me obsessed with cooking my own food, so I virtually never eat out.  Not to mention that eating out cuts into my egg savings.   Eating out has gotten to be crazy expensive.
    I know what you mean about eating out. Now the only time I feel like going out to eat, I try to choose something on the menu that will inspire me to make it at home (only better)!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DMW
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    blasting said:

I know what you mean about eating out. Now the only time I feel like going out to eat, I try to choose something on the menu that will inspire me to make it at home (only better)!
    When I end up going out, I try to choose something I don't typically cook myself at home. Or as it were, something not cooked at all, sashimi.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    If anyone understands, it is ME!  I'm also a single parent on a nurse's salary which is peanuts.  Half my salary goes to paying soccer dues too!  
    I bought a very gently used LBGE from a friend off of Facebook.  I had been saving and saving but there was always something that I *needed* to spend the money on...tires, AC, new fencing....something always took a priority.  
    On a total whim I posted wanting an Egg on FB and within 45 minutes I had a deal on a large.  I bought it for $450 from a friend that said they used it less than 10 times.  Turns out, they used charcoal in the thing and never experiencing a great cook in the Egg.  Their loss was my gain.  We are still in contact so if there is ever a warranty issue they said they would help me.  

I have definitely gotten my monies' worth so far.  I am spending money on different meats and such but I am at least getting 2 leftover meals out of my cooks which is great for me!  I could easily spend $40 getting an Egg dinner together but that's what a good meal out at a decent restaurant would cost me.  I AM eating more at home and I love that I am trying new food combos and new techniques!  

good luck finding an Egg! 
    m

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    @blasting  you wouldn't be from Michigan by chance

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    @blasting  you wouldn't be from Michigan by chance
    He is in Arizona. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • blasting
    Options
    To those who have contributed:  Thanks again for all of your input.  Since you all have been so helpful with the advice, I'll fill you in on what's happening.  I've decided to go with a demo egg once I have saved the coin.  I've made this decision after weighing all the input offered, specifically about avoiding warranty issues.  Thanks to the previous suggestion of selling some stuff,  I've put a bunch of ads up on CL, and may be an egger sooner than I had hoped. My plan is to get an egg at Eggs by the Bay eggfest at the end of May, or check what henapple had in mind when he mentioned a demo egg.  Side note, my daughter has officially caught the fever as well, which makes me proud!  Check out the easter "egg" she made me! - I'll try and attach a pic. Again, thanks everybody for your input.

Chicklet - I love looking at these absolutely incredible cooks, but my pictures will be of meatloaf, spatchcock, and pulled pork variety.  That's fine by me as these are some of my favs.  We also love pizzas, and have been doing them on the weber for years, so I'm looking forward to getting more of the wood fired taste.  Your situation with the egg and having his assistance with the warranty sounds like an ideal situation.  

bcsave - nope, not from Michigan.  I originally hail from Canada, and have lived in Phx for the last 20 yrs.
    Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Collins87 said:
    I'm the guy that bought the used egg last week and than had to replace the base witch is $400.00. I will never buy a used one again. 
    sorry dude. That story made me a little sick.

My 2 cents on buying used- My first egg is 10 years old. The only original part left is the dome. The only thing I've paid for were new bands last year. I've had 3 fire boxes/rings but those aren't really that important. 2 of them are still stacked up in the garage in the original packaging (for like 4 years now). My base cracked and I had a new one in under a week.

I wouldn't buy used at even half of eggfest price. You are going to have this thing for the rest of your life. saving $250 and giving up 20+ years worth of warranty coverage has never made sense to me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That Easter egg rocks!
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    I personally would wait to save and buy new. But again, depends on your comfort level. To me, the warranty is crucial so would go with new.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    Options
    What is the average price of a demo egg? Just wondering if it is really worth taking home a demo vs. just buying new considering there is no guarantee you will get a demo if there are more buyers than eggs. We bought new and was wondering how much one really saves. 
  • blasting
    edited April 2015
    Options
    LadyGT - I don't know all the ins and outs, but in reading the eggfest offerings, it seems that a large package is about $850.  What is included seems to vary, but generally it seems that it includes the egg, rolling nest, daisy wheel, and sometimes a bag of lump, and sometimes an ash tool.  I will attempt to attach a link to the eggfest page, and you can check it out for yourself.

I think that going to an eggfest is the icing on the cake.  I'm looking forward to meeting some of the forum members in person.  

http://www.biggreenegg.com/events/eggfests/
    Phoenix 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @LadyGT pricing is very regional. The ga mtn Eggfest prices seem to be 15-20% off retail. Our retail in GA is significantly lower than other regions. I.e. I can go buy a large tomorrow for $700 with little haggling. So no doubt I could get a package in the neighborhood of $850 new. 

Here is a link to the demo prices for ga mtn fest 

http://mountainegg.com/demo-eggs
  • blasting
    Options
    theyolksonyou - I looked at the GA eggfest prices - those are really great prices.  I'd be all over that, but it is 29 hours of drive time each way.
    Phoenix 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That was the point. Very regional. We're lucky to be so close to headquarters. 
  • LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    Options
    I think the prices are pretty darn close to what we paid here in town. I think if you shop around during a local eggfest, you can get a good deal from a local hardware store. Specials are run to get your business. That is how we got ours last year.  My husband found an ad through CL and shopped around. Nobody could beat the package deal we got. For us, the cost to attend an eggfest would far outweigh the savings on buying a demo. The Mountain eggfest is 4 hours each way to drive. The one in Atlanta is 1 1/2 hours.