Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much is prudent to spend on a used egg? Input please.

Options
blasting
blasting Posts: 6,262
Hi Guys (& gals).  I'm dying to get my first egg, and I'm requesting some pricing input.  I grill every meal outdoors and this forum has become my hobby.  You all seem like real decent folks, unlike any other forum I've visited.

I would like to get my hands on a good used egg so I can join this great party.  I'm financially somewhat limited (full time single dad of a special needs daughter.)  I've read the forum and input carefully.  I like the idea of being able to get into used egg at least, even without warranty.  If I get a fair deal, it has been pointed out that I can replace a base even, and still be under the price of a new egg.

I've got it in my head that I don't want to pay more than half eggfest prices.  Is this realistic?  Too much?  Too little?

I'm in Phoenix, and the prices seem crazy high.  I thought I found the perfect egg this morning - and one I could afford.  It was a large for $300 that looked like it was barely used.  I emailed right away, and again in the morning.  I was really pumped.  However, by 8am the seller had not responded and I saw that he had doubled his price to $600.  Within another hour it was at $700 - and he sold it!  That is too rich for my blood, given the accessories I would need to get started.  It also doesn't seem to make sense to pay that much for an egg without warranty.  

So, I'm asking - how much should I be looking to spend on a used large egg?
Phoenix 

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    They are so popular right now I havent seen ANYTHING under 500 for a large and most are more than that. If it were me, I would just start cutting a few things out of the budget each week and start stockpiling some cash and save for a new one. I would HATE to see you spend money and end up with a cracked egg like the guy a week ago. Surely there are a few splurges you could cut out for a few months and have it saved up if you already have 300 bucks to start. Thats just my opinion. In your situation, I think the warranty is probably huge. 

Little Rock, AR

• Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    I've seen some for about $500. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Rule of thumb is nothing over 50% of retail and in pristine condition. The value of the BGE is not just being a great cooking tool, it is in the warranty when purchased from an authorized sure. Someone paying $700 for a one year old used egg is like buying a one year old car without warranty, it is just not done. Same goes for the accessories. 
    Why pay $700 for a pig oj a poke when for another $150, you have a lifetime guarantee on the base and dome?

I do agree the popularity has pushed the used prices up....to ridiculous levels. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • blasting
    Options
    Normally i'd be  more inclined to wait until I can afford an eggfest egg with warranty.  I suppose I'm just getting impatient.  What has been said above is good input, and  consistent with my own thinking (at least when I'm not being impatient).  I will have to give this some more thought.  Yesterday my daughter pointed out the egg in the roundup commercial, and i think it was her shared interest that got me thinking used.   

I'll sleep on it, but will probably hold out for an eggfest egg.  I appreciate the input guys. Thanks. 

Phoenix 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I agree with the above comments. Save your cash and go to an eggfest. I had a change jar that I dedicated to my first egg. The second I did on "layaway" as the minimaxes weren't out yet. Also some stores with do 0% financing. I know one store locally to me that will. Good luck. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    Options
    I am new to the BGE world and suggest you save for a new one.  From what I have seen, many posts say this or that has cracked.  It's ceramic, so at some point, it will crack with normal use. With a new egg, you get a lifetime warranty for as long as you, the original owner, own it. Replacement parts and accessories for the egg are not inexpensive either.  In the long run, it will be cheaper to buy new.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,225
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If it's just the two of you or maybe a third, you might consider a small or medium egg and save yourself some cash and get your goal accomplished sooner. There are a lot a amazing cooks done on small eggs. A lot of us here love our smaller eggs more than our larger ones. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Keep an eye out , they pop up. I bought my first egg as a mini. It was $400 new but I wanted to try egging and make sure I would be up for it before spending $1k. Only took a few months to be sold and then bought my large (eggfest demo) and mini max now.
    Seattle, WA
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Do you have any unwanted/unused items around that you can sell? Most people do - that could help you raise some extra cash. Just a thought. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The Phoenix area has quite a number of BGE dealers.  Some I've found to be a little uppity, but there are several who approach a small town type of personality.  You might consider approaching one of the latter to ask if they have a customer who wants to up-size, down-size, or just plain sell their egg.  Whatever the situation, if they can get you an egg, they've created a new, happy customer who'll frequent their store ... might work.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    .  If you don't care about the warranty I'd be looking at the Vision grill.  I believe you can get a new large Vision grill at Costco/Sam's Club for around $500.  It comes with a stand and side tables included.  It also comes with a limited year or two warranty.
    Just saw this at Sam's last week.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    Does anyone else see the irony in the juxtaposition of this thread with the recent kerfuffle in the Devastated thread?...
    On the surface it seems that this guy is a far better candidate for forum largess, (single parent with special needs child) yet no offers of "help" here... yet. Is it because there isn't a puppy in his story?  :)

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • blasting
    edited April 2015
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    Does anyone else see the irony in the juxtaposition of this thread with the recent kerfuffle in the Devastated thread?...
    On the surface it seems that this guy is a far better candidate for forum largess, (single parent with special needs child) yet no offers of "help" here... yet. Is it because there isn't a puppy in his story?  :)

There is no puppy, because someone stole it.   Our dog saved our lives in the fire, and now she's been taken from us.  (not at all true - just rounding out the country song)

UncleFred, I realize you are not saying otherwise, but to clearly state my motives - I am not looking to this forum for anything other than advice.  I will work and save for my egg like everybody else.  

The thoughtful opinions given on this thread, and most others blows my mind.  You all are total strangers, and yet put yourselves in somebody elses shoes to give thoughtful advice.  Hopefully I can get to an eggfest next year, and put some faces to the screen names.  
    Phoenix 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @blasting .... checking on a demo egg for you. I'll see.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • blasting
    Options
    henapple said:
    Thanks henapple.  After weighing the options, I think I am going to go with a demo egg when the time comes, rather than risking warranty problems with a used egg.  Please don't bother checking on a demo egg at this time though.  In crunching numbers, I hope to pull the trigger by the end of July.  If you don't mind, I may see if you have any connections for a demo egg at that time.
    Phoenix 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    blasting said:
    henapple said:
    Thanks henapple.  After weighing the options, I think I am going to go with a demo egg when the time comes, rather than risking warranty problems with a used egg.  Please don't bother checking on a demo egg at this time though.  In crunching numbers, I hope to pull the trigger by the end of July.  If you don't mind, I may see if you have any connections for a demo egg at that time.
    Just another tip. If you are planning on July to pull the trigger on a demo egg, now is not too early to start planning. Look for a fest that may be near you around then and start watching for them to post their demo egg pricing and ordering info. Some fests you need to pre-order a significant amount of time in advance, and some only sell a limited number of demo eggs. There is no set in stone policy on demo egg sales, so they do vary from fest to fest.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • UncleFred
    Options
    henapple said:

• UncleFred
    Options
    blasting said:

There is no puppy, because someone stole it.   Our dog saved our lives in the fire, and now she's been taken from us.  (not at all true - just rounding out the country song)

UncleFred, I realize you are not saying otherwise, but to clearly state my motives - I am not looking to this forum for anything other than advice.  I will work and save for my egg like everybody else.  

The thoughtful opinions given on this thread, and most others blows my mind.  You all are total strangers, and yet put yourselves in somebody elses shoes to give thoughtful advice.  Hopefully I can get to an eggfest next year, and put some faces to the screen names.  
    What part of the valley do you live in?  ...I have a son that lives in Goodyear.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Gotta go with the warranty. I just cracked my large base and firebowl last night cooking pizza. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    UncleFred said:

We could start a fund.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• blasting
    Options
    UncleFred said:

What part of the valley do you live in?  ...I have a son that lives in Goodyear.
    I'm in North Phx. but I know your son's area well.  I drive down to his area weekly to check on a few vacation homes for some folks - just to make sure they haven't melted.
    Phoenix 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    blasting said:
    UncleFred said:

I'm in North Phx. but I know your son's area well.  I drive down to his area weekly to check on a few vacation homes for some folks - just to make sure they haven't melted.
    Do people in Arizona escape the summer heat and go to frigidly cold areas? In the Northeast (and many areas) there are many who travel to the south for the winter so they dont freeze their asses off. We call them snow birds. What we would be the opposite of this? _____ bird. Fire birds?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• blasting
    Options
    UncleFred said:

We could start a fund.
    Thank you, but that is not necessary.  I've been working on it, and in a few short months I will be a proud egger on my own.  Thanks again.
    Phoenix 
  • blasting
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just another tip. If you are planning on July to pull the trigger on a demo egg, now is not too early to start planning. Look for a fest that may be near you around then and start watching for them to post their demo egg pricing and ordering info. Some fests you need to pre-order a significant amount of time in advance, and some only sell a limited number of demo eggs. There is no set in stone policy on demo egg sales, so they do vary from fest to fest.
    DMW - not sure what happened - I responded and then my post just disappeared.  Anyway, I've been watching the eggfest calendar.  It's still too soon to know which one I could go to, but I appreciate the advice.  I'm really wanting to go to Solano next year, since it seems to attract so many forum members.  To get my egg though, I'd like to go to Eggs by the Bay on May 31st, but that will probably be to soon.  They are sold out, but have eggs left so I guess you can get in if you commit to an egg.  We'll see.
    Phoenix 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Do people in Arizona escape the summer heat and go to frigidly cold areas? ...
    Some of them own summer homes up in Flagstaff, Show Low, etc.  Quick two and a half or three hour drive and you're up in a totally different part of Arizona ... large pine trees, cool days, and rainfall in the afternoon to cool it down even more.

I think most folks have quit calling the winter visitors snow birds ... lately they seem to call them &^%$ Canadians. ;)

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blasting
    Options
    Does anybody know why my posts are being flagged for review all of a sudden?  I responded to greg as well and it went for review.  Are their certain words that trigger this?
    Phoenix 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Sometimes when that happens to me I just log out and log back in. Has happened a few times to me as well. Not a big deal since most things I have to say are not that important.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Collins87
    Collins87 Posts: 50
    Options
    I'm the guy that bought the used egg last week and than had to replace the base witch is $400.00. I will never buy a used one again.