Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke ring challenged

Options
EggHead_Bubba
EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
It seems no matter what I smoke on my BGE I get little to no smoke ring. I see pics of ribs and brisket that have a nice 1/4 inch smoke ring but my cooks rarely have any even though I use hickory and cherry chunks with plenty of smoke for hours. It's not affecting the taste since my ribs, butt and brisket are always tender and yummy. I guess I would just like to see the smoke ring as part of the visual feast for the eyes lol! Any thoughts on this?  

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Need a little more info...temp? Direct or indirect? Ect....
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Always indirect between 225* and 250*

• thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited July 2014
    Options
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Do you mean like this?
    Hard to tell from your pic, looks like those ribs fell apart!

• BugCollector
    Options
    What wood are you using for smoke?

The first time I did a brisket on my egg, I was excited to be trying it and forgot to add wood or chips.
    Result?  13 lbs of great tasting pot roast.  Next time I threw a few chunks of oak in and I got a beautiful smoke ring and great flavor.  

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Here is a better pic
    Now that's what I'm talking about! Would love to get a smoke ring on ribs like that.

• thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    These are what are called Commodity Ribs....they are the least expensive, full of fat (flavor) and weigh around 5 1/2 lbs per rack....cooked for 6 hours to render the fat and they come out moist and full of flavor
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Old thread but I still have this problem. Even with smoke for 6 hours, I don't get a smoke ring on ribs or brisket. Taste great though!

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Is your meat cold? I have read it will only accept smoke until it hits 140. I have had limited luck but you can also use a tenderizing rub or meat tenderizing salt and that is supposed to give you a ring too-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,121
    Options
    Smoke rings are hit or miss for me.  On my WSM the key was water in the pan.

Smoke rings were not worth the hassle of water in the pan.  I prefer going without.  Never noticed a flavor difference.

In the end I worry about moisture, tenderness, and flavor.  Smoke ring is just icing when it happens.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    Smoke ring on an Egg will not be like a Stick Burner IMO..smoke rings are overrated and if you are putting a water pan in your Egg it will inhibit it as well...it's for looks not flavor...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I would check my thermometer, if you're not getting a smoke ring you might just be a tad too hot.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,121
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Smoke ring on an Egg will not be like a Stick Burner IMO..smoke rings are overrated and if you are putting a water pan in your Egg it will inhibit it as well...it's for looks not flavor...
    I should clarify.  I have never used water in my egg.  I have a few times in my Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM).  I don't bother with water in any of my smokers anymore.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac water pan?  I don't need no stinking water pan. :lol:   Humidity, smoke and pit temp....Living in FL helps with 1 of the three. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I read and excellent article on smoke rings, I think someone posted a link to it on here, but I can't find it now.  I remember the pink color doesn't come from smoke itself, but from nitrogen oxides that form nitric acid in the meat fixing the color of the myoglobin before cooking stops the process, or something to that effect.  Wish I could find the article. Very scientific in it's explanation.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    I'm very happy with how my brisket and ribs taste off my BGE. I know a smoke ring doesn't add flavor etc. but I'd like to just see one off my BGE once lol. :-)

• finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    Put some celery seed or pink Him sea salt in that rub (natural nitrates). I remember the thread that Zmokin was talking about.  I think moisture is another way to acheive one.  Wrap in bacon, spray, mop .... 
    MBGE in Charleston

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm very happy with how my brisket and ribs taste off my BGE. I know a smoke ring doesn't add flavor etc. but I'd like to just see one off my BGE once lol. :-)
    If you really just want to get a massive smoke ring on the egg without cheating, burn cherry wood and use a water pan. I do not use a water pan on my egg. However if you are just wanting that eye catching ring for bragging rights, use a combination of the water pan and cherry wood. I don't have time to explain why, but nothing comes close to cherry for producing a deep ring. For a brisket on the egg, 2-3 pounds of cherry chunks and 2 gallons of water in the pan and you will have almost a stick burner quality ring. I'm not saying this is the only way to get a ring on the egg. This way is just fool proof. Cherry + water= smoke ring. It can't fail brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    SGH said:
    If you really just want to get a massive smoke ring on the egg without cheating, burn cherry wood and use a water pan. I do not use a water pan on my egg. However if you are just wanting that eye catching ring for bragging rights, use a combination of the water pan and cherry wood. I don't have time to explain why, but nothing comes close to cherry for producing a deep ring. For a brisket on the egg, 2-3 pounds of cherry chunks and 2 gallons of water in the pan and you will have almost a stick burner quality ring. I'm not saying this is the only way to get a ring on the egg. This way is just fool proof. Cherry + water= smoke ring. It can't fail brother. 
    Thanks SGH! It just so happens that my neighbor cut down a huge black cherry tree. He's getting boards made from it and I'm sure I can grab some scraps for smoking with. I'll give your method a try and see how it goes.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @finster Himalayan pink salt doesn't help in the ring department. Flavor yes. 

Where oh where are you @nolaegghead
    debunk the smoke ring mythology. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @finster Himalayan pink salt doesn't help in the ring department. Flavor yes. 

Where oh where are you @nolaegghead
    debunk the smoke ring mythology. 
    Nope not  Himalayan pink salt, but pink curing salt. It's the nitrates, or nitrites, I forget which. 
  • SGH
    Options
    EggHead_Bubba said:
     I'll give your method a try and see how it goes.
    The cherry and water pan will work like a charm for attaining a smoke ring my friend. That said, once you get a smoke ring and are satisfied, give a 3 way mix of white oak, hickory and cherry a try for a killer smoke taste on brisket. But drop the water pan for this one. Also lean heavier on the oak. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    SGH said:
    EggHead_Bubba said:
     I'll give your method a try and see how it goes.
    The cherry and water pan will work like a charm for attaining a smoke ring my friend. That said, once you get a smoke ring and are satisfied, give a 3 way mix of white oak, hickory and cherry a try for a killer smoke taste on brisket. But drop the water pan for this one. Also lean heavier on the oak. 
    Just "might" do a brisket this weekend. ;-)

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I'm going to try adding a little celery salt to my rub on my brisket this weekend. Celery salt has lots of nitrates that help to make a smoke ring. As @Zmokin said above. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @SGH you're in Nola. No need for the extra humidity brotha. But, you already knew that :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH you're in Nola. No need for the extra humidity brotha. But, you already knew that :wink: 
    Agreed. I do not know where he is located though. The use of the water pan along with the cherry gaurentees a smoke ring. When using the egg I don't really worry about a ring. Just wanted to be sure that he got a deep dark ring on his first attempt without having to cheat. 

Status- Standing by.

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Located in East Tennessee, humidity usually isn't a problem late spring through summer.