Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aaron Franklin. Here is why he is in a league of his own.

Options

Comments

• CowtownEgger
    CowtownEgger Posts: 116
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have seen PBS videos of him doing brisket and beef ribs at around 280 F.  Said he thinks the fat renders better at that temp.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have seen PBS videos of him doing brisket and beef ribs at around 280 F.  Said he thinks the fat renders better at that temp.
    Different cooker though.  

Cen-Tex will agree with this as he is the one who told me about it.  If you research enough, Aaron has given different temps in several different articles and videos.  It's all dependent on how your cooker cooks.  His 500 and 1,000 gallon offsets all have their own signature.  Especially his early builds vs his new ones.  Each have a cool, hot and money spots.  Then you have to factor in heat reflection off the wall.  His briskets are constantly being rotated, and everything gets some TLC in his money spots.  

He is also cooking with a draft, so it's a much different cook than what we do.  Bottom line, take the temps given with a grain of salt.  My sweet spot on the egg is between 235-240 at the grid.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @DoubleEggerHe uses ABCO paper, based out of Austin. It comes in 24 inch rolls of 1000".
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    cazzy said:
    He is also cooking with a draft, so it's a much different cook than what we do.  
    You called this right on the money. Folks that have never cooked on a unit that cooks mostly by "draft" have no idea of the difference it makes. 300 degrees on a ceramic cooker is entirly different than 300 degrees on a massive wood fired offset. Folks see the same temp and assume that it's the same. But it is not. The large volume and speed of the moving air makes a huge difference. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    Options
    This pic is from a day I spent cooking with John Lewis (Aaron's original pit boss).  These briskets were passed around and swapped like a cheap whore.  You're looking and cooking.  

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    He is a beast, a rockstar, a pro, a BBQ genius!
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Different cooker though.  

Cen-Tex will agree with this as he is the one who told me about it.  If you research enough, Aaron has given different temps in several different articles and videos.  It's all dependent on how your cooker cooks.  His 500 and 1,000 gallon offsets all have their own signature.  Especially his early builds vs his new ones.  Each have a cool, hot and money spots.  Then you have to factor in heat reflection off the wall.  His briskets are constantly being rotated, and everything gets some TLC in his money spots.  

He is also cooking with a draft, so it's a much different cook than what we do.  Bottom line, take the temps given with a grain of salt.  My sweet spot on the egg is between 235-240 at the grid.
    And every recipe is a little different in every interview/article. Even the ones hanging up in his restaurant! he ain't no dummy.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @SGH and @The Cen-Tex Smoker  Thank you for clarifying the difference.  Does a draft based cook at 280* act like an egg cook at say 250* or is there no real conversion?  I can guess that it varies significantly by smoker, but I'm just looking for the general concept.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:
    @SGH and @The Cen-Tex Smoker  Thank you for clarifying the difference.  Does a draft based cook at 280* act like an egg cook at say 250* or is there no real conversion?  I can guess that it varies significantly by smoker, but I'm just looking for the general concept.
    Since I brought up the difference in this thread, I'll assume you're talking about me and not Cen.  There isn't a conversion that I know of.  It is a very different beast than how our eggs work.  The draft flows over the meat and out the stack so if the pit is tuned right, you can cook the point and flat perfectly.  This is why people usually cook fat side up with a draft.  The point gets a slight higher temp and the draft flows over each piece of meat, all while protecting the flat.  This is also why you can create a superior bark with no sugar.  

Best advice on the egg is just cook with it.  Cook a brisket at a temp, see how it goes.  Next cook, only change 1-2 things so you can easily see what worked and what didn't.  

If cen-tex, SGH or myself cooked 50 briskets a day like Aaron, we would know sooooo much about all the idiosyncrasies of brisket cooking.  I have about 60 or 70 under my belt and its taught me a ton.  Cook more and you'll learn more.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Ragtop99
    Brother I will answer this in depth tonight when I get home. Still at work. I have a lot to say on this subject and it's something I really enjoy discussing.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Ragtop99
    Brother I will answer this in depth tonight when I get home. Still at work. I have a lot to say on this subject and it's something I really enjoy discussing.  
    Lol...expect a dissertation.    =)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Took @cazzy 's advice and on the the last few I've used butchers paper for my FTC (noticed a significant difference in texture). And the very last one rested (no need for FTC with good timing) on the cutting board uncovered for about an hour and sliced when everyone was ready. Foil works but , butchers paper does help. Mine was regular butchers paper not pink. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,225
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    Why thank you kind sir. How does it affect the resting time? Absorbing heat versus reflecting it should help the meat cool more consistently and quicker. Am I on the right path with this logic? 
    I bet RD has it so I'll check it out tomorrow. 
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    SGH said:
    @Ragtop99
    Caz we was typing at the same time. I do have some thoughts that I would like to share though. 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    cazzy said:
    SGH said:
    @Ragtop99
    Caz we was typing at the same time. I do have some thoughts that I would like to share though. 
    I'm all for it. I would like to hear how you feel your Pitmaker Vault fits in to the equation too if you don't mind

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,225
    Options
    Took @cazzy 's advice and on the the last few I've used butchers paper for my FTC (noticed a significant difference in texture). And the very last one rested (no need for FTC with good timing) on the cutting board uncovered for about an hour and sliced when everyone was ready. Foil works but , butchers paper does help. Mine was regular butchers paper not pink. 
    We must have posted at the same time about this and I missed this. Thanks for the info. Now if that stoker would get here....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    and I can just see the forums everywhere lighting up now. If I hear one person tell me they prefer to cook with live oak over post oak in the summer because it has more sugar in it,  will find you, and I will hurt you.

• SGH
    Options
    I'm all for it. I would like to hear how you feel your Pitmaker Vault fits in to the equation too if you don't mind

I get home about 7:30pm. I will be more than glad to share my thoughts and findings. You inquired specifically about the Vault. I will say this much for now. It makes life much easier than a offset. If you ever cook on a insulated cabinet, be warned you will probably by one. They take the work out of the equation and are far and away more fuel efficient.  

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:

I get home about 7:30pm. I will be more than glad to share my thoughts and findings. You inquired specifically about the Vault. I will say this much for now. It makes life much easier than a offset. If you ever cook on a insulated cabinet, be warned you will probably by one. They take the work out of the equation and are far and away more fuel efficient.  
    I'm a half nudge from getting the exact one you have. I figured we could talk about it in Salado. I've just heard you say the Unit 7 is superior in every way. Didn't know if that was you being excited about unit 7 or if you really felt that way. I want something I don't have to babysit so it's going to be insulated and efficient.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:

I'm a half nudge from getting the exact one you have. I figured we could talk about it in Salado. I've just heard you say the Unit 7 is superior in every way. Didn't know if that was you being excited about unit 7 or if you really felt that way. I want something I don't have to babysit so it's going to be insulated and efficient.

If I would have had room and could have gotten scottie to turn his head that vault would be residing in arkansas. 

Little Rock, AR

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,734
    Options
    Thanks for the link.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    ... Mine was regular butchers paper not pink. 
    Yeah, I noticed on Amazon I can get the regular stuff under Prime for quite a bit less, especially, since I have to pay for the 'free shipping' where I live.  @SGH I wonder if you have noticed too much of a difference between the pink butcher paper and the Plain-Jane variety?
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SGH
    Options

Absolutley, will be more than glad to talk to you about it. But let me clarify this. Unit #7 is simply and offset just like unit #6 with the addition of a Pitmaker Vault clone sitting on the front. 2 units on 1 trailer.  Well actually 3 if you count the built in warmer/vertical on the horizontal cooking chamber. If I had to chose between a vertical insulated cabinet and a offset, the vertical would win hands down. The big reverse flow offset burns 10-15 pounds of fuel for every 1 pound of fuel the insulated vertical cabinet burns. The offset does have a slight edge in smoke flavor, but not enough to win out over the ease of operation and fuel savings of the Vault. Also if running below 300 degrees, I can walk away from the Vault for over 24 hours without worry. This is a feat that no offset can even remotely approach. For set it and forget it convienance, it's no contest.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    mahenryak 
     @SGH I wonder if you have noticed too much of a difference between the pink butcher paper and the Plain-Jane variety?
    I really don't see much of a difference at all in the two. However at Salado we can test this if anyone would like to. We will wrap 3 with pink and 3 with white and see if there is a noticeable difference.  

Status- Standing by.

• mahenryak
    Options
    @SGH Thank you very much.  I'm not sure a test is called for but I do appreciate the consideration.  I just have to pay $22 on top of the asking price for shipping and wondered if that would be necessary.  I think I'll go with the cheaper stuff, at least for starters, since shipping is included (Prime).

• Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    I did one brisket wrapped in the white butcher paper.  It was very saturated and I was concerned it had pulled juices from the brisket.
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • mahenryak
    Options
    Cm23 said:
    I did one brisket wrapped in the white butcher paper.  It was very saturated and I was concerned it had pulled juices from the brisket.
    @cm23 that's not good...  thank you

• mahenryak
    Options

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cm23 said:
    Those juices we're going somewhere anyway so it wasn't the paper's fault. I use the white stuff. It's the same. Pink is traditional down here but the only thing different is the dye. It's the weight you want to look at and don't use waxed
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

SGH said:
    mahenryak 
     @SGH I wonder if you have noticed too much of a difference between the pink butcher paper and the Plain-Jane variety?
    I really don't see much of a difference at all in the two. However at Salado we can test this if anyone would like to. We will wrap 3 with pink and 3 with white and see if there is a noticeable difference.  
    I'll bring some of the white if we need it n